General Discussion Triathlon Talk » to buy or not to buy a wetsuit?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-19 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Subject: to buy or not to buy a wetsuit??
This is my first tri season so I haven't bought a wetsuit yet because I wanted to make sure I was going to make a commitment to the sport. Well after two races (and two to go) this season, I know I will be around for a while. So now I am back to the question: to buy or not to buy a wetsuit? I am currently doing a few open water swims a week in Lake Michigan and besides from feeling a bit left out, they are going well (no real problems with water temperature, floating, etc). And since I just doing sprint distance races this season, I know I really don't need one but I am getting the itch to buy one (did I mention I feel a bit left out??). Well besides for that, I know that I will be switching to longer distances next year and would then likely see the benefit of a wetsuit. So do I buy one now and get more training in it this summer or wait for the fall and winter sales and then just prep next year. Any advice would be great!!

Thanks,
Deanna

PS: If I chose to wait for the sales, would I likely get a better deal than Promotion offers us BTers on their regular prices suits. They still have some in my size.....

2005-07-19 12:49 PM
in reply to: #202287

User image

Veteran
New Haven, Connecticut
Subject: RE: to buy or not to buy a wetsuit??
I just purchased a sleeveless Xterra Ventilator wetsuit. Before getting the suit, I was under the impression that the main purpose of a wetsuit, or the biggest benefit of wearing a wetsuit, is the warmth factor. I have now found this to be untrue. To be sure, while a wetsuit will keep you warmer, the biggest reason to buy one, is the bouyancy factor. A wetsuit is almost like wearing a life jacket. You float on top of the water. This translates into faster swim times and a lower heart rate out of the water. With regards to whether to go for a sleeve or sleeveless, I purchased a sleeveless and it's great. I have no complaints. Advocates of sleeved suits will tell you that they're a little warmer and have a little more bouyancy than compared to sleeveless. While, I'm sure both statements are true, the part of the wetsuit that is most attributable to bouyancy, is the body and legs. Therefore, with a sleeveless, you're not losing much. Hope this was helpful. Best of luck!.
2005-07-19 1:35 PM

Regular
Buffalo,NY
I did my first race without wet suit and my second with one what a difference .Lots of bouyancy and a huge feeling of security . Also save a lot of energy . I bought a sleeveless from promotion and I love it , a serious company with great service .Good luck.
2005-07-19 2:00 PM
in reply to: #202315

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Here's a really good article on wetsuits with a comparison of the benefits of  a sleeveless (longjohn) vs. a full suit:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/wetsuit.shtml

2005-07-19 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Connecticut
Being part of TNT the Wetsuit was part of the deal.

But I have found that some Triathlons here in the Northeast (usually only in May) require a wetsuit, 2 of them did when I did when I was looking to do my first tri. So if you plan on doing any early season tri's, yes they are definatley worth it to buy.

Edited by Rower 2005-07-19 3:00 PM
2005-07-19 3:43 PM
in reply to: #202373

User image

Regular
Boulder, CO
marmadaddy - 2005-07-19 12:00 PM

Here's a really good article on wetsuits with a comparison of the benefits of  a sleeveless (longjohn) vs. a full suit:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/wetsuit.shtml

I agree, that's a good, informative article. He talks about full suits being faster, which is true, but he also says they can reduce your stroke count and decrease your "feel" for the water due to the full suit's tendency to restrict shoulder movement (also true). Obviously this drawback is minor when compared to the benefits of a full suit (faster times with reduced effort), but he does not mention that there are some full suits that eliminate this drawback as well. The De Soto 2-piece wetsuits really allow full freedom of movement for your shoulders. I have the T1 wetsuit by De Soto and there is a significant difference between it and the full suits I have used.

2005-07-19 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
I think it mainly depends on the water temperature of your races and your comfort level in open water swimming. Living in Southern Califormia, I have do not own a wet suit and don't really see the need. The ocean never really gets too cold here and I've done all my races just fine in nothing but my swim suit, cap, and googles. Although many say it can speed up your time, it can also slow you down in transition.

If you are comfortable without one, I say don't bother.
2005-07-19 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Utah

Why I like my wetsuit:

Keeps me warm.  Makes me float. Helps me swim faster with less effort. Contributes to the "I am not going to drown" thought. I feel like I am flying through the water. If I don't close the little top flap, I look like I have a dorsal fin

What I don't like about my wetsuit:

It is named after a type of whale (good brand, but bad name when you look like me). Is constricting. Not good if you have a very sensitive gag reflex (like hubby does). Can get warm in warmer water (I have a full suit).

If you are OK now, I would wait until the sales and then prepare for next year.

Edited by lifesgreat 2005-07-19 9:10 PM

2005-07-19 9:32 PM

Veteran
Marietta, GA
I second everyone else about the usual benefits, but would add one thing. If the water temp is in the 70s, especially the high 70s they get very hot quickly. So they may be race legal if temp is under 78 but you run the risk of overheating.

I have sleeveless and found that it does make a huge difference, but even sleeveless alters my stroke and causes my shoulders to tire more quickly since I don't train in one often.

This time of year we they are not even legal in most of our races in the South so I don't have the opportunity to use it much. But, like you, I bought one to avoid being "left out" of those races where they are legal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » to buy or not to buy a wetsuit?? Rss Feed