General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint: 16/20 Week 2X or 3X Balanced Rss Feed  
Moderators: jmk-brooklyn, Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 7

2014-02-28 8:08 AM
in reply to: faitrob

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Sprint: 16/20 Week 2X or 3X Balanced

Welcome Rob!  The last few years I have been loving open water swims too when I get a chance.  There is something about getting knocked around by the surf that is invigorating.  Good luck training and let us know what questions you have.

My Race Log

2014-07-20 6:29 PM
in reply to: BBShopMom

User image

Tucson, AZ, Arizona

Hello I am planning on starting the 3X per week plan tomorrow.........new at tri..........anyone doing this program in Tucson????

Carolina

2015-01-30 2:17 PM
in reply to: BBShopMom

Hi, I'm James. I'm new to Tri and only started to think about Tri's towards the end of 2014. I have mainly done running before 5,10K (and going for a half marathon this year).

My goal for this year is to take part in at least 2 sprint Tri's. I'm planning on starting focused training from the 1st Feb.

Any tips/gotcha's would be appreciated and I will keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers
James
2015-01-30 2:35 PM
in reply to: Choppertastic

User image

, North Carolina
Just saw this on the front page.

I'm a month into the 3x Balance program. Finishing up my last week of recovery.

I have done mostly zone 2 on the run and the bike for the entire first month. I really upped my run milage last fall and it really took it's toll on my legs. Doing a much better job of stretch and self massage on my calves and that has helped my running quite a bit. But, I am no where near the milage per week I was at last year. I'm only at about 4-5 miles a week through the first month where I was at closer to 12-15 miles. I am hoping to build to that by the summer.

Biking is going much better this year. I got a trainer for Christmas and have been riding that pretty good. Swimming is also going well. But my yardage is down from where I was at the in fall. I'll get back there soon enough.

Hope a few more folks decide to do this plan it seems like a good one!

2015-02-23 3:35 AM
in reply to: #4943861

User image

, North Carolina
I'm on the second rest week(week 8).

Should all these workouts be easy/zone 2?

Going to get a sports massage this week too. Should I go beginning or end of week? Or am I over thinking it?
2015-06-24 8:17 AM
in reply to: #5095330

Subject: RE: Sprint: 3X Balanced
Are there specific workouts to be done at each short/medium/long sessions? If so at what pace? I know the plan gives examples but I do not see intensity given. Thanks.

2016-02-11 3:12 PM
in reply to: Jbrew013

Subject: RE: Sprint: 2X Balanced
I am starting training tomorrow 16 week. It says swim and bike. Is it OK to bike at home and drive to the pool? Also are those min I have to do next to swim, bike and run.looks like this 12-swim, 24-bike. I'm totally new to this so hopefully not a dumb question... Lol thx
2016-02-11 4:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
NickB - there may be an "optimal" point to do that, but yes you are mostly overthinking it. Let the rest week be restful and enjoy it

Jbrew - Since these plans are volume builders and not speed builders, no specific workout is given. The purpose is more just to get you out there moving for the specified amount of time. The times themselves are based on an "average back-of-packer", such that a "slow" person will have completed each of the S/B/R leg distances individually in training before going into the race. So, basically, the minutes shown are based on some average slow pace. That being said, it is probably safe to apply some more intense workouts for swim and bike - but this comes with some caveats. For swimming, it assumes that you are able to swim at that intense pace and still maintain proper form - if you are a newer swimmer, then the chances are that using the swim sessions to improve technique are going to be more beneficial to you than simply swimming hard. For the bike, it is pretty safe to pull a higher intensity for many of the workouts, but I wouldn't go at it so hard that you can't do the other workouts because your legs are toast. For running, see my response to Nicharman regarding the 10% rule and be mindful that adding intensity, especially as a new runner, can quickly lead to injury. Much better to start slow and get to the start line of your race healthy.

Nicharman - for the workouts that have two in a day, the description will be specific if it wants you to do the workouts immediately back-to-back. These are called BRICK workouts, and IIRC they show up towards the end of the plan (the last month or so). For all the others, some time in between the workouts is not only ok, I'd say it's actually recommended so that your body has a chance to recover from one workout and then give the 2nd one an honest effort level as well. Yes, the numbers by the workouts are in minutes - they are structured that way (especially for the running workouts) so that you don't increase the volume too quickly and put yourself at increased risk for getting injured. I believe the description refers to the "10% rule" - that's what it is talking about with the minutes and it is a great rule of thumb for increasing the workload.

Edited to Add: Sorry to Nick and Jbrew - I just looked at the dates of your posts and saw that my advice is monumentally late. Hopefully I at least still helped Nicharman

Edited by CycloneVM 2016-02-11 4:33 PM
My Race Log
2016-02-11 5:34 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

Great, thank you so much for the reply!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint: 16/20 Week 2X or 3X Balanced Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 7