Other Resources My Cup of Joe » plumbing/ outdoor shower question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-23 12:41 PM

New user
Subject: plumbing/ outdoor shower question
I'm thinking of putting in an outdoor shower up at my mom's lake house, and am trying to figure out how to get the shower waste to run uphill to catch the waste line from the house. The shower would be about 5 feet below the house's waste line and maybe 10 feet away. I'm wondering if anyone knows of an all in one outdoor product to collect the shower water and then pump it up to the house waste line? It would only used in the summer. My brother wants to bury a drum then add a sump pump, but that seems like extra work. This product below looks promising, but I'm not sure if it's sufficient for outdoor use:

http://www.saniflo.com/SANISHOWER.aspx?gclid=CI_MjZmN0KMCFQo65QodJDG7wQ

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

2010-08-23 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3059171

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Subject: RE: plumbing/ outdoor shower question
Do you have to pump it up?  Why not just let water go into the ground?  You could dig a hole and fill it w/ sand and stone.  I know and understand what you're 'supposed' to do w/ an outdoor shower, but really, its mostly just water going down the drain and filling up your tank and septic system.
Just so you know, I put in an outdoor shower at my house (I use it every day) and I learned that if you want to build a deck w/ a shower, or a new house with an outdoor shower, you need the gray water return, but only if it's on the plans.  If you do it after inspections, then you can just put it in with no one the wiser.  Unless your plumber cares (mine didnt

If you do do it this way though - just be sure to use natural soaps and shampoos. 
2010-08-23 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3059205

New user
her house is right on the lake, maybe 20 feet from the water.  I'd rather not let it seep into the ground because there are certain people in my family, including my wife, who will use the shower with the wrong soaps and shampoos "just this one time" which turns into many times.  

What do you mean by gray water return? The water is to required to be recycled? This house is in New Jersey (no jokes please
2010-08-23 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3059313

User image

Master
Beijing
ried0428 - 2010-08-22 2:36 PM her house is right on the lake, maybe 20 feet from the water.  I'd rather not let it seep into the ground because there are certain people in my family, including my wife, who will use the shower with the wrong soaps and shampoos "just this one time" which turns into many times.  

What do you mean by gray water return? The water is to required to be recycled? This house is in New Jersey (no jokes please

Grey water return = drain.     Is the house already on a septic system?   If so, then you might as well dig the pit and let the water just go into the soil.  That's where it's going to end up anyway. 

If it's connected to a sewer, then the most common solution is what your brother proposes, a sump with a trash/sewer pump.   If you're going to be having lots of showers with lots of debris (like to wash off mud) this will be your best option.

If you've got some room to work with, you could put in a french drain to catch the water over an extended length of the yard.  If you're taking lots of muddy showers, this probably isn't a good solution as it will eventually clog up with mud.
2010-08-23 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
2010-08-23 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Maybe this is too obvious, but can you build it up hill from the house?

2010-08-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3059437

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
mrbbrad - 2010-08-23 12:37 PM Maybe this is too obvious, but can you build it up hill from the house?

What? And skip trying to make water run uphill??? Killjoy.
2010-08-23 4:18 PM

New user
it's a septic tank, up the hill. The showers won't be muddy, more like sandy, from the beach.  No, it is not an option to build up the hill.
2010-08-23 6:10 PM

User image

Elite

Sand in the shower drain may be a problem if you pump it to your septic tank.  You would fill up the septic tank with sand rather fast if you did that.  You may want a collection tank with two compartments to separate the sand and water before pumping to the drain tank.  The water enters the first compartment and sand settles out.  The clean water overflows into a second compartment.  A drain pump with a float switch (like a sump pump)  in the second compartment then pumps to your septic tank.   You will need easy access to the tank to scoop out the sand periodically. 

This idea is exactly the way a  septic tank works to separate solids and liquids before they go into the drain field except that, usually, the septic tank is uphill from the  drain field so it does not need a pump.  So you would be in effect installing a small pre-septic tank to your main septic tank to keep sand out of the mainc tank.  I would rather clean out sand from the shower drain tank than have to clean a septic tank any day.

One other thing, you should probably locate the drain in a place that is high enough that run off from rain doesn't flow into the drain tank.  If you live in a wet area, this might overload your septic tank and drain field.

TW

2010-08-23 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3059857

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
tech_geezer - 2010-08-23 7:10 PM

Sand in the shower drain may be a problem if you pump it to your septic tank.  You would fill up the septic tank with sand rather fast if you did that.  You may want a collection tank with two compartments to separate the sand and water before pumping to the drain tank.  The water enters the first compartment and sand settles out.  The clean water overflows into a second compartment.  A drain pump with a float switch (like a sump pump)  in the second compartment then pumps to your septic tank.   You will need easy access to the tank to scoop out the sand periodically. 

This idea is exactly the way a  septic tank works to separate solids and liquids before they go into the drain field except that, usually, the septic tank is uphill from the  drain field so it does not need a pump.  So you would be in effect installing a small pre-septic tank to your main septic tank to keep sand out of the mainc tank.  I would rather clean out sand from the shower drain tank than have to clean a septic tank any day.

One other thing, you should probably locate the drain in a place that is high enough that run off from rain doesn't flow into the drain tank.  If you live in a wet area, this might overload your septic tank and drain field.

TW

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ding...Ding...Ding...We have a winner!!!

2010-08-23 7:01 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
FWIW at my folks' place in Hawaii we are pretty much required to rinse in the outdoor shower precisely SO that we don't wash the sand into the septic system via the regular drains.

The sandy water just washes into some nearby plantings.  No big deal.

2010-08-23 9:16 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

I have nothing technical to add.   I just think outdoor showers are cool.

But I am glad that my particular neighbors do not have one.   his big tighty whities on the line once a week is enough.

2010-08-24 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
My only concern for putting this outside would be it (the water) freezing.  At my work we get this question often.  A lot of people do just have it drain into the ground. 

I work for a plumbing & heating wholesale company in PA/NJ.  If you need anything let me know - I can get you a BT discount Wink

2010-08-24 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Outdoor shower-   water from hose &  rinse off.    You are not going to be doing your wash, wax, shave & shine.

Add a wood enclosure and a gravel base under a 2 X 6 floor.  Go for it.

You are way over thinking this.

Remember

KISS

Kevin
2010-08-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3061774

User image

Master
carrie1 - 2010-08-24 4:39 PM My only concern for putting this outside would be it (the water) freezing.  At my work we get this question often.  A lot of people do just have it drain into the ground. 

I work for a plumbing & heating wholesale company in PA/NJ.  If you need anything let me know - I can get you a BT discount Wink

You turn off the water in October, or when you close up the house.  When the plumber spliced into the lines, he put in a valve that has a drain valve as well (stop and waste valve).  Shut off the water, remove the screw (with a bucket underneath if its in a basement) and open up the shower so the water will flow.  Done.  Problem solved. 

Here's a link to a pic of the valve I mean http://www.jmfcompany.com/images/79876.jpg (sorry still cant get the pic tool to work on this PC)  Pic is about half way down.

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2010-08-25 8:45 AM
2010-08-25 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3061774

New user
hey thanks Carrie, will let you know for sure. Freezing won't be a problem, the system will be drained from October thru May.

2010-08-25 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3061780

New user
Kevin, I have to respectfully disagree. There are usually 10 people at this house on a given weekend, and we all have to wash off sunscreen and lake gunk.  Water alone won't remove the sunscreen, and human nature being what it is, if biodegradable soap isn't available, they'll use whatever is available. If everyone at the lake decided to let their soap and shampoo run into the lake, it wouldn't be as nice and pretty as it currently is. 

Tech-geezer: good point about the rain. We'll definitely have to keep that in mind; either get a cap for the drain or make it waterproof from the rain.
2010-08-25 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3062945

User image

Elite
Tech-geezer: good point about the rain. We'll definitely have to keep that in mind; either get a cap for the drain or make it waterproof from the rain.

You will have to have a shower base of some sort to collect water for the drain.  Just elevate the shower base a little above ground level.  I would only be concerned about runoff or standing water flowing in.   A little direct rainfall  hitting something the size of a shower base (e.g. 30"x30") would be insignificant.

You are a good citizen for protecting the environment.  Thanks.

TW 
2010-08-25 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3063115

User image

Master
tech_geezer - 2010-08-25 11:57 AM

You will have to have a shower base of some sort to collect water for the drain.  Just elevate the shower base a little above ground level.  I would only be concerned about runoff or standing water flowing in.   A little direct rainfall  hitting something the size of a shower base (e.g. 30"x30") would be insignificant.

TW 

1" of rain water over a 30"x30" base would yield 900 cubic inches of water, or almost 4 gallons of water going into your septic tank.  Not that insignificant, = flushing a toilet 3 times.  Which is a lot which is why most beach houses have 'country plumbing' rules (If its yellow, let it mellow... ) and doesnt count for runoff from the roof either. (assuming this would be against the house, and not be on a gabled side)

If you do drain into your septic - cover the drain. 
2010-08-25 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3062945

User image

ried0428 - 2010-08-25 10:02 AM

Kevin, I have to respectfully disagree. There are usually 10 people at this house on a given weekend, and we all have to wash off sunscreen and lake gunk.  Water alone won't remove the sunscreen, and human nature being what it is, if biodegradable soap isn't available, they'll use whatever is available. If everyone at the lake decided to let their soap and shampoo run into the lake, it wouldn't be as nice and pretty as it currently is. 

Maybe I am a pig, but if I was at a cabin for a weekend, a good rinsing after a dip in the lake would be good enough for a day or two with no soap or shampoo. If it were me, I would keep it simple. At the least, a rinsing would suffice until the indoor shower was available.

However, it sounds like that doesn't work in your situation so I think you have to bite the bullet and put in the more complicated system, separation, sump pump and all.

2010-08-25 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3063361

User image

Elite
ratherbesnowboarding - 2010-08-25 1:25 PM
tech_geezer - 2010-08-25 11:57 AM

TW 

1" of rain water over a 30"x30" base would yield 900 cubic inches of water, or almost 4 gallons of water going into your septic tank.  Not that insignificant, = flushing a toilet 3 times.  Which is a lot which is why most beach houses have 'country plumbing' rules (If its yellow, let it mellow... ) and doesnt count for runoff from the roof either. (assuming this would be against the house, and not be on a gabled side)

If you do drain into your septic - cover the drain. 

Comparing to a flush volume  is one comparison you might want to make.  I would make a different one.   What you are concerned about is saturating the drainfield so that the septic tank backs up.  I would look at the amount of water going into the drainfield from direct rainfall versus the rainfall landing on the shower.   A typical drainfield for a three bedroom home is about 30 ft by 60 ft which is about half a million times bigger than our hypothetical 30"x30" shower base. On that basis, the shower area is insignificant.  If the drainfield can handle the direct rainfall, then it can handle the shower drain.

[An aside about infiltration versus runoff.   Rainfall on the drainfield can either soak in or run off.  We are concerned about the water that soaks in or infiltrates.  The way it works is that rainfall that is in excess of the maximum infiltration rate puddles and then runs off.  The maximum infiltration rate at a point in time depends on the rainfall rate preceding, soil porosity, grade and vegetation and a host of other parameters.  The typical maximum infiltration rates range from .05 in/hr when the ground is already pretty wet to 0.20 in/hr if it just started raining.  In a worst case, lets say it is raining 1 in/hr (downpour) and it has been doing that all day.  Only 0.05 in/hr is going in the drainfield directly but 1 in/hr from shower is going into the drainfield  because we are pumping it in.  In this case the ratio of flow from shower versus direct is ( 0.05/1)x500,000= 25,000 more water from the rainfall than the shower.  The direct rainfall is a lot more even accounting for a lot of runoff. 

I suppose I did not mention that it was not advisable to put the shower drain under the eave where the roof would drain into it.  Good point.

Edited by tech_geezer 2010-08-25 2:27 PM

2010-08-25 2:39 PM

User image

Master
I'm not sure they have to worry about saturation.  I've reread the posts and I get the gist that they have just a septic tank that has to get pumped out and doesnt leach out into a field.   If that is the case, you want to limit the amount of water that gets into the tank or you'll have to pump it out more frequently.  If its going to a tank and then leaching, then youre right, it wont matter.

So is it a closed system?  My parents have a tank at their cabin on cape cod (not hooked up to a sewer system yet) and they are always concerned with filling up the tank w/ water, Which is why the indoor shower is never used and the outdoor is not connected to the tank. 

Slightly off topic: I heard this from someone else so please someone w/ more plumbing experience can correct me - but he said that a septic tank and leach field isnt set up to handle soaps and detergents from the sink and shower and actually does more harm to your tank because it kills off the bacteria that breaks down the solid waste.  (He is building a house w/ me and said he will have a gray water basin separate from septic system which is why he told me this)  Is this true?

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2010-08-25 2:42 PM
2010-08-26 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3063637

New user
I would agree with you if it was only a dip in the lake.  But, I ride 2 hours/day, my wife runs every day and that's not even it- it's the sunscreen. I hate it on my skin, but need it. Between the bike, the boat and the beach, I'm in the sun 8-10 hours so I apply 2-3 times/day.  There's no way I can go to sleep w/o showering.

As far as the septic, there shouldn't be much increase of intake. We'll just be moving the current number of showers from the indoor shower to the outdoor shower.
2014-08-11 5:15 AM
in reply to: ried0428

One of the most important thing during the construction of a house is the proper disposal of sewage & grey water and what are the necessary steps should be taken for the maintenance of septic system.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » plumbing/ outdoor shower question Rss Feed