3-Disciplines & AmCan Endurance Promotions
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 52s
Overall Rank = 13/36
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Brought my usual breakfast to Jon and Joanna's and had that and a cup of coffee. Rolled a tiny bit before getting dressed to loosen up my tired legs. Got to the park, got my packet and set up transition, chatted up my teammates, used the potties, scoped out t1 and t2 exits/entrances and did the wet suit wiggle. :)
Event warmup:

None really...the temps were cool and the water was rough...had a gu at 15 before the start like always.
Swim
  • 23m 37s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

the goal was to swim hard this race...I took almost a complete lap to figure out the waves and stop drinking water...hard, but not all out like I'd have done in calmer waters. Still, I was 2nd female out of the water...passed quite a few guys from the wave prior, and caught my teammate Pat water walking. :0! He lives in PH, but swimming is his weak link...I hollered at him to swim! LOL!

This was the worst ow conditions I've swam in race or not...don't have much experience in ows in rougher water. Glad it was only 1000M not 1500 or a half! I hope the gulf is calmer come November 6. Swallowing lake water is one thing, salt water another issue all together!
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I stayed on course pretty well considering the waves, and I really just don't have much ows experience in those conditions. I think I did ok considering.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Well, stunk this one up. Fell in the water getting out of the wetsuit. Took a LONG time which got factored in the swim time. Then my feet were really sandy so I brushed them off (took extra time as I had to get the little towel!) then I couldn't get clipped in. I guess I should practice!

Practice! Julie ties her shoes to the bike and gets on. That would speed things up for me. Will ask Coach to go over the flying mount junior which there is no flying! :)
Bike
  • 1h 10m 59s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.00 mile/hr
Comments:

goal was to push the bike...hard. I was working hard throughout most of the race (whit a couple lapses in effort), got burpy and almost pukey several times. My wattage went up from Sylvania, but still not where Coach wanted me to be. I finally got the 1st female in my sights, chased her up the rollers (she's a good little climber!) and overtook her to end up 1st female off the bike. She was just the rabbit I needed to go harder through the to the finish. Water walker Pat chased me down and beat me on the bike by like 45 seconds! Damn!!!

PUSH HARDER!!! I still struggle with just killing myself. I am getting better, but according to my watts in the lab, I should beat Pat and challenge Steve in every race, yet they both beat me (Steve quite soundly like always) in races. Working on it, working on it!!! Still, I'm pretty happy with the bike as it was a new pr on this course and on tired legs. :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

gah! really sandy feet and fear of blisters had me wiping off my tootsies once again. Then the socks didn't want to go on, and finally I got moving and out of t2!!! PU....I stunk this one up too!

PRACTICE!!!! I lost 1st overall pretty much on transition times and spending a lot of time taking the wetsuit off!!! Grrrr!
Run
  • 52m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, survive the run was the goal! Yay! I survived. OA female and I ran together for about the first mile...my left shin was really hurting and my feet felt weird. I did what coach wanted though, went out slow and tried to move a little faster later. That was easy to do with the shin pain. :) By mile 2 or so though, it was feeling fine. I didn't have a lot of leg turnover, so I never really pushed up my hr on this run. I talked with other racers, the folks in the neighborhood, the folks on the boardwalk(including a dude in full scuba gear and a huge white beard!) and watched from behind the gal who was gonna get overall female. Joanna was a good distance behind me so I made the choice to run strong and not kill myself. The run was short...the garmin showed 5.89 miles. My teammates thought the course was longer than last year, which makes me feel better about the Sylvania run and this one too. If it was shorter yet last year, my pace was not an 8:34 mm, so I can stop beating myself up over it! :)

I could have pushed harder, but since this wasn't an a or even b race for me and I'd already pushed hard on the bike and swim as planned, I chose not to risk the injury. I was pretty toasted at the end of the race and felt I put a good effort out there overall. I guess I wouldn't have done anything differently today.
Post race
Warm down:

walked, stretched a tad, got some water. Eventually got some pizza (upset my stomach) and a massage which was AWESOME! That girl knew how to make it hurt in all the right places and ways! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

an heavy week of training including 60 miles on the bike the day before. This was planned, and not an a or b race, so that was fine. The swim conditions didn't help either!

Event comments:

Mostly this race gets it's high rating for the course and racing with so many friends. 3D screwed up the awards big time (there were only 36 oly racers and it was totally janky!!!) and it took way too long to get straight. Even today, they have a dnf female listed as the overall winner. Nice.

It is a nice venue though, and even though it's not usat rated, I'll probably do this again due to having a great place to stay, as a measure of my fitness year to year, and Pat's post race gathering! :)

Last updated: 2010-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:37 | 1000 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 11/36
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 2 loops of a counter clock wise rectangle. The buoy's were placed so that when you went with the current, you got slapped around by cresting waves, and when you went against the current it was bigger roller type waves. Sucky pretty much both ways. :(
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:10:59 | 24.85 miles | 21.00 mile/hr
Overall: 7/36
Performance: Good
avg wats 180 avg hr 158 avg rmp 87
Wind: Some
Course: same as last year...out into a headwind for most of the first half, through the rollers that hit 6% grade according to Steve, then back through the rollers again, and cruising with the tailwind. I did have to steady the bike a few times with gusty winds...the wind was blowing about 14mph per my accuweather on the iphone.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:52:35 | 06.21 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 23/36
Performance: Average
1 9:05:50 avg 155hr 2 9:09:57 157 3 9:02:56 160 4 8:49:13 160 5 9:03:18 162 .89 8:36 pace 162
Course: flat and pretty. It's rough in the park to start and finish, but running along the water, pretty houses, and along the boardwalk under the bridge are awesome!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes