Pacesetters of the Fox Cities
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 54s
Overall Rank = 16/17
Age Group = Mixed Relay
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

I worked until 11 pm and got home around 11:30 pm the night before this race. I went to bed around 12 after having troubles settling down for the night. My alarm went off at 5 am and I rolled out of bed pretty exhausted at 5:15 a. I was smart and got most of my stuff ready ahead of time so I just had to climb into clothing and pretty much get myself out the door. Mom, Dad and I then drove to Hilbert. Mom was the official peep and photographer and Dad was doing the first part of this relay with me doing the second half. Got there and checked in and just waited around for a bit before I had to board the bus.
Event warmup:

When we arrived at the exchange point, took a bathroom break and pretty much just got comfortable. We had over 30 minutes to wait until the first runner came through and quite possibly a while longer until our relay member came through. So we got comfortable and cheered on the the runners as they came through. Then I saw Dad coming around the bend and it was my turn.
Run
  • 1h 15m 58s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I started out way too fast I am guessing, but I ran for about the first 10 minutes before taking a 2 minutes walking break and then I just did everything I could. I pushed a 3:2 as long as I could and then I hit the open sun and after I hit mile 10 I was forced pretty much to do 1:1. I could tell that I was very hot but then the wind was beating me up and wasn't cooling me down very well. I finally made it back into town and made the final push to the finish line where my family was waiting. Dad met up with me and we ran it the rest of the way over the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Not much... This was for fun. My legs were still sore from the bike race last weekend so they were not turning over as well as they should have.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and got water fast. I needed that bad. Then I got some food and relaxed a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much... tired legs can't be helped much this time of the training year.

Event comments:

I very much like this race. The goodie bag is very good and the post race food is amazing! I will continue to do this again!

Last updated: 2010-08-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:15:58 | 06.5 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 17/17
Performance: Average
Course: Part of the run was on the trail and then the rest was on the roads out in the sun. Wind in our face the whole way back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes