General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Etiquette... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-07-21 8:34 AM

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: Race Etiquette...
My frist tri is one month from today and I was wondering if there are any tips as far as race etiquette. For example, I read someone's post that said they were really annoyed that someone passed them on the right on the bike. I assumed people would stay to the left and people always passed on the right (seems natural) but are you supposed to say something when you pass to give someone warning? Is there a similiar process in the swim or is it basically a free for all? Any other tips about playing nice with others would be appreciated! Even though I am sure I will look like a newbie in the race, I would like to avoid any obvious blunders if possible. Thanks!

2005-07-21 8:48 AM
in reply to: #203642

Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Race Etiquette...
You should ride on the right and pass on the left. When passing, whether in a race or on a training ride, say "on your left" as a heads-up.
2005-07-21 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

If your race is USAT sanctioned you could get assessed a penalty for passing on the right or riding on the left, preventing people from passing.  It's just like driving a car.  Stay to the right, and when you're passing, give the rider ahead of you an "On your left" so they know your intention.

Otherwise, one thing to look out for is not clogging up the transition exits, particularly T1.  You see racers get just outside the transition area and stop to mount the bike when there's no room for other racers to get by and mount their bikes.  Don't leave any trash on the course and thank all the volunteers you can.

2005-07-21 8:51 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

kimta - 2005-07-21 7:34 AMMy frist tri is one month from today and I was wondering if there are any tips as far as race etiquette. For example, I read someone's post that said they were really annoyed that someone passed them on the right on the bike. I assumed people would stay to the left and people always passed on the right (seems natural) but are you supposed to say something when you pass to give someone warning? Is there a similiar process in the swim or is it basically a free for all? Any other tips about playing nice with others would be appreciated! Even though I am sure I will look like a newbie in the race, I would like to avoid any obvious blunders if possible. Thanks!

Best etiquette tip I can give you is to read, learn, and follow the USATriathlon rules:

http://www.usatriathlon.com/Rules_Officials/rules.htm

Generally speaking, you should stay to the right at all times on the bike. If you are not to the right, you may be called for a blocking violation. If there was room to pass on the right, then the rider being passed was (at least ) equally wrong for being that far out, and had no reason to be annoyed.

It is customary to say "on your left" as you overtake another rider on that side. Some newbies think that means "move to your left," so do this with caution.

Open water swims are a group-grope free-for-all.

Other tips: do not pass another participant without giving a positive, encouraging remark.

2005-07-21 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Passing on the right is not only dangerous.. in a race its also illegal..

as for etiquette.. just be nice

I've been fortunate enough to not have anyone be rude to me during a race.. so I can't complain about it. many folks here have told stories about setting up their transition area and taking their bike out for a warmup only to find that somebody has racked their bike right on top of their setup..

If you are conerned about etiquette then you will probably do fine. It's those who don't know what etiquette is that cause problems

Have a great race... and don't forget to have fun and enjoy the entire event!!

ws
2005-07-21 8:54 AM
in reply to: #203663

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Rough Rider - 2005-07-21 6:48 AM You should ride on the right and pass on the left. When passing, whether in a race or on a training ride, say "on your left" as a heads-up.

AMEN!  There's way too many times that I've had people pass on the right, or give no warning to me, as I'm about to zip left to pass someone else.  Same thing goes for the run - let them know where you are at.

Move over towards the aid station for water well BEFORE you get there.  It's ok to slow down, but keep the traffic lane clear.

When tossing the water cup (or spitting or doing a farmer's blow) PLEASE aim away from the traffic lane!  (Same thing goes for the bike...)

If it's a wave swim start, position yourself according to your ability.  I'm a slow swimmer, so I want to be behind the pack when it starts.  If you're moderately fast or better, by all means get in the front/middle.  If you are slow, stay out of the way of the others, or you may get knocked around a LOT.

User image

Expert
Iowa
HOWEVER, I've been in races where someone ignorantly rides on the left, and the only way to get around is on the right. That rider is subject to a blocking penalty. As has been pointed out, ride on the right, stay on the right unless passing.

User image

Buttercup

Passing on the right is illegal and will get you penalized if a race official sees it. Also, it is hazardous simply because you're not supposed to pass on the right and you could easily startle someone (and maybe cause a wreck) if you pass them on the right. Always pass to their left.

The swim is a free for all. Good luck with that.

I suggest you go to any tri's that are happening in your general area before your tri in one month. Seeing it all come together will probably answer alot of your questions and may generate more questions, as well. Also, get a tri book and read it. They are very informative and thorough. An informed triathlete is a safe triathlete.

2005-07-21 9:03 AM
in reply to: #203671

User image

Buttercup
the bear - 2005-07-21 8:51 AM

Generally speaking, you should stay to the right at all times on the bike. If you are not to the right, you may be called for a blocking violation. If there was room to pass on the right, then the rider being passed was (at least ) equally wrong for being that far out, and had no reason to be annoyed.

Bear, this happened to me during my tri on Sunday. I was taking a curve and not at all far from the curb - a chick cut into the gap between the curve and my bike. I always keep to the right because I'm always getting passed (sad but true). There was plenty of room for her to pass me on the left and her decision to overtake me on the right on a curve was a bad call.

People do make bad calls on the race course.

2005-07-21 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

This is a great question.  I wish every race participant would think about stuff like this before their first event.  I'll take a stab at some tips for you.

1. Keep your transition area limited to your own block of space (as much as is possible).  If there are 5 bikes on your rack, I try to not take up any more than 1/5th of the space.  Oh, and never mess with anyone else's gear in transition and never touch my bike.  I will be happy to move it myself if its in anyone's way or racked improperly.
  2. Rack your bike by the seat, not by the bars.
  3. On the swim, if you want to pass me, then come up on my side.  If you grab me once, I'll let it go.  If you grab me twice, expect a foot upside your head.
  4. On the bike leg, keep to the right whenever possible.  There are times when you have to swing to the left to avoid bad pavement or obstructions, but as a practice, keep right.  You can be given a "blocking" penalty for failing to observe this rule.
  5. When you are passing me on the bike, don't immediately swing to the right, in front of the me once you've cleared my front wheel.  It forces me to slow down to avoid contact and potentially a drafting penalty.  Don't swing over till you're about 2 bike lengths ahead of me.
  6. Don't pass me at the bottom of a hill if you are not a good climber.  Its like those semi's on the highway.  They pass you going downhill then just clog up traffic going uphill.  Its very annoying.
  7. When approaching aide stations on the bike and/or run, get over to the RHS well ahead of time.  Its gets congested and when you have to cut across traffic, you could ruin someone's race.  I saw a really bad wreck at an aid station because someone cut across traffic at the last minute.  Keep in mind that there may be folks behind you that don't want to slow down or stop for the aid station.
2005-07-21 9:39 AM
in reply to: #203699

User image

Elite
New City, New York
i>Rack your bike by the seat, not by the bars

Wouldn't you say that is a matter of preference not etiquette? understand bars on the rack may take more space but either way your other suff is gonna be spread out over a wider area anyway. besides i just don't like the way it sits by the seat. never had a comment form anyone. just my thots, Mark

2005-07-21 9:52 AM
in reply to: #203724

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
rollinbones - 2005-07-21 9:39 AM

i>Rack your bike by the seat, not by the bars

Wouldn't you say that is a matter of preference not etiquette? understand bars on the rack may take more space but either way your other suff is gonna be spread out over a wider area anyway. besides i just don't like the way it sits by the seat. never had a comment form anyone. just my thots, Mark

At my last tri.. my seat was higher than the rack and I wasn't able to rack it there. I had to use the brake levers (which i wasn't too thrilled about)

ws
2005-07-21 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
At least your bike isn't swinging in the breeze like mine...it usually doesn't touch the ground when racked (yeah I'm short and its a 47)
2005-07-21 9:55 AM

Regular
One of you mentioned spacing yourself according to swim times. I'm doing my first tri on the 31st and I have no idea where to place myself. This is the first time the race is being run, so I get no guidance there. There are eight waves, and while I am a moderately strong swimmer, I'm not going to be very fast on anything else. Any recommendations?
2005-07-21 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Whether it be etiquette or a rule, it is a good idea to pass on the left.  However, I did a triathlon on Sunday and a lot of cylists were riding on the left inches away from the centre line.  Some where even riding side by side while talking, oblious of other cyclists around them.  In that case, where two rules apply, no crossing over the center line and passing on the left only, I chose the safest couse and passed on the right ... quite a few times.   

Edited by Machiavelo 2005-07-21 10:17 AM
2005-07-21 10:18 AM
in reply to: #203670

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
You usually pas on the left, just like in a car. That's for both the running and biking. NOt when you are in a huge pack running tho, then you can just run. It's when you are one on one.

Do not mount your bike till you are clear of the Transistion exit.

If it is a non draft course stay back three bike lengths unless passing. When passing you have something like 15 seconds to do it.

Put your helmet on BEFORE you touch your bike and take if off AFTER you rack it!

Encourage the downtrodden and congratulate those going fast (if you are on an out and back course).

Thank the volunteers if you have the wind to do it. You could not do this if it was not for them.

2005-07-21 10:19 AM
in reply to: #203737

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
mildew33 - 2005-07-21 10:55 AM

One of you mentioned spacing yourself according to swim times. I'm doing my first tri on the 31st and I have no idea where to place myself. This is the first time the race is being run, so I get no guidance there. There are eight waves, and while I am a moderately strong swimmer, I'm not going to be very fast on anything else. Any recommendations?

If you don't know where to place yourself the middle back is probably good.
2005-07-21 10:33 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

It is customary to say "on your left" as you overtake another rider on that side. Some newbies think that means "move to your left," so do this with caution.

If I'm in a race where I think there are a lot of newbies, or I'm coming up on someone who looks like they might be a newbie, I'll yell out "passing"  instead of "on your left."  People seem to hold their line better.

I've had the experience of someone swerving out in front of me and it was really scary.

Never pass on the right unless it is your ONLY option.

Passing on the run - you can pass on either side as far as I'm concerned - if it's a trail, I'm going to be running in the best part - so it's up to you to run around me, however you want to do it is fine.  (I never pass people on the run - I'm just waiting for the day.)

Swimming - try not to swim up on someone's feet and then keep touching them - it's really irritating.  Other than that - just defend yourself.  If you're in the middle you're probably going to be dealing with feet/arms/heads/etc.  If you are freaked out by being in the middle of that, just doggy paddle until the melee has passed you, then you can go to breast stroke.  DON'T breast stroke in the middle of a pack on the swim.  You will kick someone and could end up hurting them quite badly.  I got kicked in the stomach once. NOT a good experience.

2005-07-21 10:56 AM

User image

Master

!
Other tips: do not pass another participant without giving a positive, encouraging remark.

This raises an interesting question. I don't do this often because I am afraid it will come off as condescending to offer comments while passing. Last weekend I was racing, and passed a woman while climbing on the bike who was really striggling. Based on the sounds she was making I was concerned about her health. I offered up a quick "you ok," and when she nodded "yes" i went on my way. After the race I was wondering how she felt about my question. I meant well, but am concerned that it came off poorly.

Anyone had a negative reaction to other racers making comments or offering encouragment during a race?
2005-07-21 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Open water swims are a group-grope free-for-all.

This could be fun except that all of my Tri's have been wave starts so only men my age are around to grope. 

2005-07-21 11:10 AM
in reply to: #203810

User image

Veteran
Virginia
MUL98 - 2005-07-21 10:56 AM

!

This raises an interesting question. I don't do this often because I am afraid it will come off as condescending to offer comments while passing. Last weekend I was racing, and passed a woman while climbing on the bike who was really striggling. Based on the sounds she was making I was concerned about her health. I offered up a quick "you ok," and when she nodded "yes" i went on my way. After the race I was wondering how she felt about my question. I meant well, but am concerned that it came off poorly. Anyone had a negative reaction to other racers making comments or offering encouragment during a race?

I get passed on the run by several people and never had a bad reaction to someone making an encouraging comment.  In fact, sometimes I give out a "looking good" to someone passing me (expeciallly on the bike where I can breathe and make a comment).  I know I'm slow, you know I'm slow -- so what?  A "keep at it"  or "you're doing fine"  are all cool to me.  Running by me without a by your leave or hello is worse in my opinion.  Talk to me, let me know I belong out there with you guys. 

Most newbies (me included) constantly wonder if we should even be there.  After a couple of races, I know that I do because people talk to me and are friendly.  I'd like to do the same to first time racers. 

2005-07-21 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Fasten your helmet chinstrap as soon as you put it on your head. Getting DQ'ed for a chinstrap violation would be major suckage.
2005-07-21 11:34 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

From the race I am organzing these are some of the most important rules I suggest participants to remember, however as the Bear said. You SHOULD revise the USAT rules.

A few important drafting rules to remember:

Ride on your right side of your lane

Pass on the left of the cyclist in front, NEVER on the right

Keep 3 bike lengths between yourself and the cyclist in front of you

At “U” turns, unsafe turns or crossings you MUST slow down

Complete your pass within 15 seconds

If pass, you must drop completely out of the zone to the rear of the cyclist, before attempting to repass

The Head Referee's ruling is final in the case of Position Violations and there are no protests or appeals of Position penalties. 

Always have your helmet chinstrap securely fastened! The chinstrap rule is easiest to follow, but some folks always seem to forget-that's a DQ! (In the transition area it is a variable time penalty. Anywhere else on the course a DQ) [5.9 (b)].

Remember to treat other athletes, volunteers, and officials with courtesy and consideration. Failure to do so is called Unsportsmanlike Conduct and you will be disqualified. [3.4 (b)]

Edited by amiine 2005-07-21 11:35 AM

2005-07-21 11:42 AM
in reply to: #203810

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
This raises an interesting question. I don't do this often because I am afraid it will come off as condescending to offer comments while passing. Last weekend I was racing, and passed a woman while climbing on the bike who was really striggling. Based on the sounds she was making I was concerned about her health. I offered up a quick "you ok," and when she nodded "yes" i went on my way. After the race I was wondering how she felt about my question. I meant well, but am concerned that it came off poorly. Anyone had a negative reaction to other racers making comments or offering encouragment during a race?

I always like it when a person says "Keep it up!" or "You're doing great!"  - "You're almost there" should be used with caution - cause it's really irritating when people say this at mile 1 of a 10k.  I am NOT almost there. 

"You ok" should be avoided (unless I'm lying on the ground.)  Cause then I know that I really do look as bad as I think I do.

Edited by cadreamer 2005-07-21 11:42 AM
2005-07-21 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
In my last race, it was a pool swim and i gave the wrong swim time and missed the cut off to change it. I ended up passing 7 people. I thought I would pass a few, so i let 3 in front I might be passing. I tapped 1 time on the foot near the end of the lap and if they stood up for me to pass, then I did too and said thank you. 2 of them thanked me back in T1. If it is an OW swim, and you are at the same pace as someone else, move to the side to give them and yourself room to swim. On the bike, I always announce "passing on left". If I am passed and I was told then I will say "go get em" or something like that and thank them for telling me they were there, if they pass without a word, I will say " please let us know you are passing", mixed reaction on that one. I talk alot on the run, no need to announce anything, you already know I am there!
Have fun!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Etiquette... Rss Feed  

of 2