Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-09-06 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3083419

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
Subject: RE: Ok, so i'm fat.

Diet drinks: the jury is pretty much out on what artificial sweeteners do to the body, but there seems to be evidence that, even if they don't cause cancer or neurological disorders, that they DO screw with your body's metabolism.

Weighing frequency: I weigh myself daily, but then, I'm a girl and get big weight fluctuations from day to day so I like to know that they're happening. If I don't, and get on the scale after working hard/being good for a whole week, and see a gain, it makes me want to give up and empty the fridge into my face. By weighing myself daily, I remember that the numbers are just that: numbers. I also have a body fat scale. This is, of course, affected by hydration levels and meals, just like a normal scale (we're talking percentages, after all), so bear that in mind.

Good luck!

2010-09-06 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3081850

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
pga_mike - 2010-09-04 7:22 AM When I started, 5'10" and 240.  28% BF.  Couldn't run 1/4 mile straight (400 meters).  Hated swimming in 50 meter pool because it was so far.  Could bike about 10 miles, slowly.

3 years...

Did HIM *yawn*

And I eat WTF I want to eat!*  When I want it.*  As much as I want.*

*I have replaced snickers with nectarines.  More fruit.  Less fried food.  Less bread.
2010-09-06 11:51 PM
in reply to: #3075146

User image

Veteran
Lomma
I think that's the key, work out a lot and not have to get used to live with a 1600KCal restriction.

Managed 90 minutes of table tennis yesterday, it's fun and easy to do, i love chasing a ball!

I know it sounds stupid, but i already feel slimmer. I imagine the pants a a teeny tiny less tight in the waist area. We'll see on monday.
Starting to wish i'd measured the waist before starting.
2010-09-07 2:12 AM
in reply to: #3084496

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK

It doesn't sound stupid at all. You're already thinking like a fit person, which is perfect.

90% of weight loss is in the mind. Once you have your head in the right place, you can do anything.

2010-09-07 3:32 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Weighing in on weighing in ...

during my (long!) journey, I almost never weighed myself. I still don't.

I don't even like the phrase, "weight loss." I don't know why. Maybe it carries thoughts of deprivation or (AAAARGH) diet with it, and boy do I NOT like that!

I really try to think of it in terms of what I'm GAINING that I WANT ... health gain! Fitness gain! Progress! Endurance! Speed!

I've always gauged my progress with how I feel, how I move, how my workouts are going, energy levels, clothing fit, etc. It is so very delightful.
2010-09-07 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3084496

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

FlyBoy172 - 2010-09-06 11:51 PM  Starting to wish i'd measured the waist before starting.

This may sound masochistic, but I would highly recommend both doing measurements once a month and documenting with photos once a month.  

I know - pictures?!?

I HATED the thought of having to have pictures taken when I was at the beginning of my journey, but now that I've come a long way, I LOVE being able to look back and see how much progress I've made -- very, very inspiring for me!  And once the weight loss slows down a little, you're still going to see changes in how you look.  The added bonus is looking at those pictures and KNOWING that you never want to go back there.

TriAya made a very good point about how you view this journey -- there's definitely science to back it up -- that instead of viewing it as something you're "losing" you should look at what you're "gaining".  That mental shift puts a positive spin on the process, and positivity is something that people respond to better than negativity.  

2010-09-09 2:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
I think i need to weigh in at least once/week. I need tangible evidence that stuff is happening.

Pictures you say. On one level it appeals to me, to be able to follow the transformation like John Stone did if you know who that is? He took a picture every week for a few years and made great progress.

Another question, for general fitness, i saw a few videos of a guy called Ross Emanait, he seems to be super fit. Any thoughts on his workout regime?

Can't wait until monday, first weigh in. Wee...

Now i need to get out and do some walkrunning!
2010-09-09 5:23 AM
in reply to: #3088526

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

FlyBoy172 - 2010-09-09 2:11 AM Pictures you say. On one level it appeals to me, to be able to follow the transformation like John Stone did if you know who that is? He took a picture every week for a few years and made great progress.

When I took my first set of pictures -- shorts/sports bra so as not to hide anything -- I was horrified.  HORRIFIED!  Pretty much I created a folder on my laptop, stored them in there and refused to look at them.  And was the same way for several months of pictures.  And then... and then I started noticing how much BETTER I was looking!  And that got me all re-inspired and motivated to keep going and I really dove back into it.  It was a great push when my attention was starting to waver.

Another question, for general fitness, i saw a few videos of a guy called Ross Emanait, he seems to be super fit. Any thoughts on his workout regime?

Hadn't heard of him - did a quick google search - frankly, at this stage, just about anything active you do (short of things that might be harmful/dangerous) are going to be good.  The only question I'd have is whether the stuff is too advanced, and whether that'll motivate you to keep at it to get it down, or discourage you and give you that "want to quit" feeling.  I know a bunch of people do P90X around here (look at the strength forum) and that's supposed to kick butt, too... I've personally had two friends do it with opposite results -- one quit because it was too hard, the other did as much as she could and relished the fact that she could tell that each time she did it she could do a little more.  Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I suppose.

2010-09-10 10:57 AM

User image

I am 5'8" and started and 292lbs.  In my opinion monthly pictures and weigh ins at least every 3 days are necessary.  It's what kept me honest.  I can't hide from myself when I'm weighing in every other day and taking monthly pics.  I am bounce from 164lbs to 169lbs. A weight loss of over 120lbs,  Now I had lap band surgery but that only helps to a certain extent.  I train my off 6 days a week and am doing my second tri on Sept 19th. (war at the shore in NJ)  For me 170lbs is my magic number.  As soon as I hit 170lbs I know it's time to cut  back on the beer, wine and clean up the eating for 2-3 days and that will get me right back where I need to be.

Other issues brought up in thread:
Lose skin:  I have a tiny bit in my lower stomach, but it is really pretty much nonexistent.   I'll be be happy to post monthly progress pics with weight loss and lose skin if people are interested.  Lose skin is a possibility but it's better than having your internal organs coated in a layer of fat.  I will never have a 6 pack due to the lower ab lose skin, but I do have a pretty nicely defined 4 pack coming in.

Low Carb:
Low carb was essential to me when I first started.  Now that my workouts regularly exceed 1.5 hours I will have a dose of carbs after a work out and depending on the time of the work out an hour or so before.  I also know that you need a certain level of blood sugar for your muscles to properly absorb the protein you take in after a strength work out so a lean protein meal with some GOOD carbs is essential if you'd like to muscle.

2010-09-12 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Thanks for all input again, So motivating.

With that said, i fell of the wagon. Skipped breakfast and early snack and ended up at Burger King. Whopper meal with coke and fries.
Felt like crap in the afternoon afterwards. I hope that will scare me of the junkfood for a while.

I decided to take pictures every monday when i weigh in. I figure the temporary discomfort of seeing how fat i AM will be less than the joy to see how fat i WAS.

I feel i've been easing into this project. I'll try to step up the exercise next week!

Tonight i'll go on my first serious jogwalk with my new shiny Garmin 305.

Anybody read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall? Just finished it, made me want to run barefoot. ;-)

Onwards and upwards!!

Edited by FlyBoy172 2010-09-12 10:40 AM
2010-09-13 1:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
First official weigh-in done.

139Kg 12 days ago,
133.7 today.

5.3Kg is ok , i guess i was hoping for a teeny tiny bit more, but i'll take it.

2010-09-13 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,

When I started I weighed myself every day as soon as I got up.  I tracked everything I ate and my daily weight.  There will be times in the beginning when you feel like you are making progress and other people will see it but the scale does not match or you look at the pictures and can't see a difference.  The key is to simply keep going. 

Let me summarize how this will go for you:
Month 1 - moderate weight loss but you should see an increase in endurance and strength
Month 2 - the weight will start to come off faster and you will notice that your clothes are starting to get loose.
Month 3 - continued moderate weight loss with periods of no to little weight loss.  You will need to start replacing your clothes.
Month 4-6 - periods of quick weight loss, occasional weight gain, vast improvement in endurance and strength
Month 6 and beyond - I'll tell you when I get there.

pictures - I would recommend comparing your most recent pics to your first picture.  You will not see a difference from week to week, other people will.  If you compare your weekly pictures you might get discouraged.

Try not to fall off the wagon too often but I would still recommend one cheat day per week.  It helps maintain your sanity.

Coke/Pepsi products - hopefully part of the reason you are losing weight is to be healthier.  I would recommend going cold turkey and just drinking coffee (if you need caffeine) and water.  I know it sucks.  I had a 60+ oz a day coke addiction when I started.

I didn't/don't have any loose skin from losing the weight but my weight loss is not that great.  If I knew how I would post my before and somewhat after pics. 

Food - this probably shouldn't be considered a goal but once I hit 2 hours a day of cardio I could basically eat anything I wanted. 

2010-09-14 3:18 AM

I found the KISS rule worked excellent for me; Keep It Simple, Stupid! Diets with funny names are no substitute for a bunch of simple and longterm changes in diet. I, for example, trew out the soda, snacks and fastfood and was glad with whatever weightloss result occured (no matter how small). 
Training with a group has also helped for me; they motivate me to continue and help me push trough.
Also, since you're in this for the weightloss, try to pick up a copy of Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, by Tom Venuto. A bodybuilder who wrote a rather excellent guide to food and eating! 
2010-09-14 8:30 AM

Hi,
I lost 60 pd over 8 months. For the first 3 months weight watchers did heavy lifting for me and helped me loss 40 pd the rest came off with triathlon training.

Be safe and go to a doctor and maybe a nutritionist, I did. I know you can do it but good luck anyway!

DKC
2010-09-18 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3094637

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

FlyBoy172 - 2010-09-13 1:47 AM First official weigh-in done. 139Kg 12 days ago, 133.7 today. 5.3Kg is ok , i guess i was hoping for a teeny tiny bit more, but i'll take it.

Good job on the weight loss!  And yes - sometimes the scales moves more, sometimes less, but whenever it's going lower, you're headed in the right direction.

How's the exercise part of it going?

2010-09-21 2:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Exercise is going so so, i've been visiting friends in germany, and i really realized that the shaky routine days i had back home all fell apart when i was out of my regular comfort zone.

I didn't have access to my own food, my own gym or anything, so i ended up doing nothing and eating to much during the week.

Back on track from today though. Going running again tonight. 3Km awaits.

2010-09-21 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3109135

User image

Ogden, Utah
Keep up the good work, dude! As a fellow member of the "It's time to stop being fat and get in shape" club, I am realizing how long it really takes; and not to get discouraged from little to no weight loss weeks.
One thing I am noticing is how easy I 'think' it is to stay home and be lazy, but when I force my self up off the couch and run/bike/swim whatever, I feel so much better afterwards.
I'm also realizing how fast greasy foods make me feel like dump. I used to love nothing more than stuffing my face with a Whopper or Quarter Pounder or whatever; now, the couple times I've had it in the last month, it just saps my energy, and makes me feel awful...which is good thing in the long run!
I think the coolest part, though, is being able to do progressively longer distances in training, that's my real motivation. 
Anyways, good job so far, keep it up!

Edited by brianteats 2010-09-21 10:42 AM
2010-09-21 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Yeah, so i went for a jogwalk.

Holy crap it was hard today.

After the 3K last week i felt i could go 10% faster perhaps.

I didn't...
2010-09-21 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3110473

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

FlyBoy172 - 2010-09-21 2:33 PM Yeah, so i went for a jogwalk. Holy crap it was hard today. After the 3K last week i felt i could go 10% faster perhaps. I didn't...

That's okay ... just keep at it.

And remember:  you are as good as your best run, but you're never as bad as your worst run.  And the point?  That you're out there running at all.

2010-09-22 5:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Thanks guys!

Laura, i see the blog is alive again, Love it!
You are a great writer!
2010-09-23 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3111285

User image

New user

Hello. I am a newbie to this site. I too can relate to what you are saying.  The name of your thread, okay I am fat…, makes me smile every time I read it. I think the same thing in my head. I have been ‘taking the first step’ several times as well. For about 4 years actually. And while taking all these first steps I have ADDED on like 55 lbs. (yes I am lame, I use poundsSmile) BUT this past Aug I have taken my last ‘first step’. I can just feel in myself that this time the weight coming off and it will stay off. And a lot of my motivation comes from that I have been watching Ironman re-runs on TV and I really want to do one. I know I will not ‘win’ it, but I want to say I am a triathlete.  So what I am trying to say is that: I am going to follow your thread and wish you luck and hope that this is your last ‘first step’!  

PS It takes about 22 days for habits to really become  a habit. So keep up the running/jogging/walking and before you know it we are not making ourselves do it anymore, we are just doing it and getting better at it. And maybe one day you and I will be in the same race!   Good luck!

My 'stats': female/5'6/236

2010-09-23 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Hehe, Stardork? With a nick like that you can't fail!

Let's take our first steps together then. I to have had many "starts" let's make sure we finish this time.

I started out dreaming about an ironman about 4 years ago. Wrote it of as the years progressed and i didn't get any fitter even though i signed up for gym memberships and posted here on BT. This time i'm ready for some actual work.

Have a great day!
2010-09-24 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Let me toss out a few plugs for BT...

First - I would recommend using the logs extensively to record your training.  Log in every day, whether you have training to record or not.  Being able to look back at what you were thinking/going through/struggling with will help further on down the road.  Also, by having all of your training online, if you start needing help regarding specific swim/bike/run issues, people more knowledgeable than me on this site will be better able to provide advice.

Plus, starting to see the orangey squares appear in the mini-calendar on the left side of your log (which is what happens when you enter a workout) starts to get addicting.  There are times that I'll go out for a run ONLY BECAUSE I don't want a blank square.  Hee!

Also - when the mentor groups start up again (they start up new ones about every 3-5 months, I think?  definitely at the new year they'll open up), go and find one and join it.  Having other people on this site that you can check in with and that are going to your logs and commenting makes a huge difference as well.

Just my $0.02... I know that once I got more involved here and started logging everything (my logs go back to 2004), it was easier to be more active.  Just gave me a bigger support group, I suppose.  And now?  I LOVE going back and seeing how much I was training back then, how fast/slow I was at any point in time, as well as just stupid stuff - like what was going on in my life at the time (since I pretty much can't seem to stop writing...).  

2010-09-24 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Great advice as always Laura!
I do have a blogg where i track progress, Or lack of it rather at the moment.

I think i'll migrate all notes to BT though.

I did a mentor group a few years ago, but the whole group kind of lost track and it all came to nothing.
2010-09-26 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3115603

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

FlyBoy172 - 2010-09-24 8:39 AM Great advice as always Laura! I do have a blogg where i track progress, Or lack of it rather at the moment. I think i'll migrate all notes to BT though. I did a mentor group a few years ago, but the whole group kind of lost track and it all came to nothing.

The mentor groups can be a little hit or miss, though I think they're better now (as opposed to a couple of years ago when the idea was first getting going) but it still depends on the group and the mentor.  

How's the exercise going?  And the healthy eating?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok, so i'm fat. Rss Feed  

of 5