General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok, so i'm fat. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-09-01 5:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Subject: Ok, so i'm fat.
@183cm (6"0 for you backwards feet and inch people) :-)
I'm weighing in at 139Kg (306lbs)

So i'm thinking i need to do something about this.
I've been lurking here for 4 years now and never ever got around to actually do any training.

I've never been in great shape, started out as a husky little kid, 100Kg when i was 13 years old.
the closest thing to beeing in shape was like 10 years ago, i had the chance to lift a lot of weights and kinda looked after what i was eating, mostly shakes and protein+sallads. I came down to 106Kg (234lbs) and was fairly sterong. Then in 2002 i started working a 50h/week deskjob and probably lost all muscles and gained a LOT of fat.

Just turned 40 this year, my goal 4 years ago when i joined was to do an IM 2010.
Needless to say i'm not going to do that.

What would you guys think are realistic goals for 3, 6, 9 and 12 months?

Today i can't run 500m without having to stop and walk. Come to think of it, i'm not sure i can do 250.

I'm comfortable on a bicycle, i could probably endure say 80Km, at a slow pace.

Swimming. well, no. Not at all. I can avoid drowning on a good day. I always thought i'd work on the water skills when i'm in shape, and since i never got in shape... I do float quite well though.

My primary goal will probably be to shed some weight, perhaps aim for 120Kg by X-mas or so.

Been thinking of VLCD for getting a kickstart, just to get rid of the first 10-15kg's and then switch to a more balanced diet.

Input?

2010-09-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3075146

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ok, so i'm fat.

First - good for you for taking the first step:  the deciding to take action.  Sometimes that's the hardest part!

Now - disclaimer - not a doctor, not a nutritionist or any other kind of person with specialized knowledge.  Just someone who's gone through the lose/gain cycle a few times already.

My personal opinion?  Don't do the VLCD thing.  I would eat reasonably and healthy.  Instead of a diet, think of it as a lifestyle change.  Cut out the processed food, the snacks, the fast food if you're currently eating those kinds of things. This is already going to be a big change - don't make it harder by cutting off almost all food.  

By all means, I'd advocate food logging... be conscientious and anal about it for a few weeks.  Write down every last mouthful, start measuring portions and that should give you an idea of where you can start making changes.  For me, portion size was probably the biggest eye-opener... when I started physically measuring and weighing all food, I was utterly surprised at what was considered "1 serving" of something.

And just get moving.  If it means biking easy, or just walking or tossing some short run intervals into your walking, just get your body moving on a very regular basis.  An hour a day most days of the week.

If you're anything like me, if you make these changes and stick to them faithfully you should see some immediate results.

I think that 19kg by Christmas is pretty reasonable. That's 10lb/month... which seems pretty healthy (to me).

Just my $.02 on the situation.  I think it's awesome that you're ready to take on this challenge -- having turned 40 this year, I understand how that landmark can kind of light a fire to get things moving in the right direction!

Good luck with everything... keep us updated.

2010-09-01 9:25 AM

User image

Regular
Good for you for making a decision that will change the rest of your life.  I am new to this site, but I wish I had found it when I needed it the most.  I have gone through a big weight loss (80lbs) I lost it all in about 12 months, give or take! It changed my life and I vowed that I would never let myself lose control again like that! The main thing I did in my diet was QUIT eating out, fast food or any eating out for that matter is a bad habit if you do it too much...I also quit drinking beer lol.  I agree with previous poster, I stay away from severe or starvation type dieting, this needs to be a lifestyle change.  Also keeping a log of food consumption is a great way to see the changes you need to make!

Good luck to you, get your heart going and your blood pumping oxygen through your body and you'll be on the road to a fitter, healthier life!
2010-09-01 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Kuddos for getting up and at it.  I used to weigh 260 lbs (185 now) so I kind of know where you're coming from.  First step is to get your diet in check.  You may want to see a nutritionist, but honestly just moving to clean foods and getting processed foods out will make a huge difference.  Losing weight is first and foremost about what you eat.  Then move little by little.  Maybe a couch to 5k program?  I assure you that you can do much more in reality than your head thinks you can do.  Lifting weights is going to be a huge plus too.  Muscle at rest burns more calories than other forms of mass.  If you ever need anything PM me. 
2010-09-01 1:39 PM

User image

Ogden, Utah
2 and a half weeks ago I was 300lbs and sitting on the couch, I have my first race(a mini-sprint) Monday, Sep 6th, and I've allready lost 19 lbs and can do all the race lengths in training plus some. Point is, I know my little race isn't anything to brag about, but it has totally motivated me on the road to getting healthy again. Get motivated and you can accomplish any weight goal/race goal you put your mind too!
2010-09-01 2:01 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Congratulations for "weighing in" here. Welcome. Lurk no more!

Your goals are great!

I'd also urge you not to go VLCD. It backfires for most people. (Just FYI I have lost 55kg) Sensible balanced eating and more movement is usually the best first place to start. Honestly, you're not *so* overweight for your height that you need a special diet or it's critical you lose lots of weight NOW, and really, you shouldn't. Trust me on this one--slow and steady beats fast and furious.

Generally, no more than a kilo a week is recommended for sustained, sustainable weight loss. So maybe 10-15 by Chrissie?

Slow Fat Triathlete is an incredible book. Get it and read it if you can.

You might do well with what's called a run/walk ratio (let's say super-slow-easy jog for 2 min, then walk 1 min). You can probably do a lot more running with that, total, than if you just try and run by itself.

It's a lot easier to get through the first 3 months of weight loss and training, then reassess. Just in my experience, weight loss and training isn't linear, and it doesn't always go according to plan.

GOOD LUCK! Come here often and tell us how you're doing!

2010-09-01 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
I would recommend against a VLCD only because they are not sustainable over time and rarely teach you about nutrition.  Good natural whole foods are the key to being able to lose weight and keep it off.  I started 2.5 years ago and at 290 pounds and decided there was no way I was going to allow myself to hit 300 at 5'5" tall.  Today I weigh in at 175, which was my original goal which I met in Nov or so of last year.  I could go on about this and completely hijack your thread so I will stop there and tell you I have a blog that explains how I did it if you get really bored one day.  Keeping in mind of course that YMMV.

If I were you I would start small and if IM is your goal then you need to start moving first.  Setting a goal of IM with no milestones along the way might leave you overwhelmed and frustrated.  IM will be there when you are ready.  Perhaps look at C25K and make that your first goal.   I started going to the gym with not much direction and more or less ready to quit after about 3 months when someone pointed this program out to me.  Because of my lack of fitness starting out it took me about 14 weeks to finish.  About mid-way through I decided to learn to swim which, as it turns out, having the load of fat around my torso and legs worked to my advantage.  Built-in flotation devices which helped me keep decent position in the pool and as I lost more weight I was able to adjust without even noticing.

Regarding weight loss, 90 percent of your success will depend on your nutrition and the rest if exercise.  I say this under the assumption that you have a job and other responsibilities that would preclude you from spending 4-8 hours a day in the gym ala Biggest Loser.  Then, obviously, the scale begins swing more in favor or exercise.

Either way, stop being a lurker and start being a participant.  This is your journey and only you can make the decision which path you will take.  However, time will pass whichever way you go.
2010-09-01 8:26 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
I would like to disagree with most and say that a Very Low Carb Diet is actually very sustainable.  I am proof.  It all depends on how you come off of it.  Most don't do it very intelligently.  However it is best geared towards weightlifters in regards to athletes.  Endurance athletes shouldn't really try it.
2010-09-01 11:25 PM

Regular
Conejo Valley
The first step is getting started and you've knocked that off, so good for you.  You have to find what works for you.  I started 16 months ago at 298 and like you couldn't walk a half mile.  In three weeks I'll do my first Olympic tri and did my first sprint in August.   I now weight 230.   for me it was slow and steady.  I used calorieking.com to log food.  I started walking for six months, then biking, then added jogging and finally added swimming.  It took me a year to gradually build up to all of that, but I found the balance of it to help.  I also started exercising early morning during the week.  I rode at 5:30am partly out of embarassment for what I looked like and then fell in love with early exercise.   My biggest tip is to not overdo it at any point.  Build up gradually, learn your heart rate zones and how to exercise at the different levels and focus on net calories.  I weighed myself only once after one full year and I had lost 52 pounds in 52 weeks...slow and steady.  Avoid injury, build up gradually, make it fun and as joyful as you can and take the long view.  Good luck and let us know how it is going!  Don't heap expectations on yourself and enjoy the journey!
2010-09-02 12:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,
Everything so far looks like good advice.  The only things I would recommend differently is 1) you need to decide how fast you want to lose the weight, slow and steady is the best for long term but if you are like me you need to see results quickly to stay motivated long enough to make it a permanent change 2) you have to recognize this as a lifestyle change vs. a diet and 3) stay away from high(er) impact cardio until you have lost some weight.  The excess weight is hard on your joints and it isn't going to help anything if you injure yourself in the first month or two.  my recommendations would be as follows.

1) track everything you eat.  there are good aps for iphones and android phones that have all the nutritional info.  All you have to do is pick the food and select the number of servings.  If you track it you can't lie to yourself.  Also, cut out processed foods and basically anything you currently really enjoy eating.  recognize tht the first month or two will be hard on you and your family.  Once you get used to whole foods you will learn to enjoy them as much as you do processed foods now.

2) try to get at least 30 min of cardio per day for 4-6 days per week.  if you can handle 6 then do 6, if no then ratchet it back.  Remember in the beginning you are building habits (exercising daily).  keep the cardio to low impact. ie: cycling, elliptical trainer and especially swimming.  This is a great time to learn to swim even if it means youswim 25m then rest.

3) work in some higher repetition weight training.  get a personal trainer if possible.  adding muscle will help burn more calories. 

For what it's worth, I lost 65+ lbs in the last 5 months.  When I first started exercising again I could only run for a minute at best, then I had to walk at least 2 minutes.  I injured my left calf weekly, both hamstrings several times and had shin splints.  That's why I suggest staying away form high impact aerobic exercises.  The pool is your best friend.

2010-09-02 1:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Wow!

Thanks for all the input, i knew this was a place for helpful people, but you guys keep surprising me!

A lot of you wrote about VLCD, i am totally aware of the fact that it's not sustainable in the long run for 99% of the people trying it. I'm not looking for that though. Many of you give me credit for taking the first step, but the sad fact is that i've taken this "first step" many many times. I'm an excellent starter, but lousy at following through. My Friends even gave me a T-Shirt saying "I Never Finish Anyth" I just want the fast weightloss of a VLCD to kickstart me.

Anyhow, i'm thinking 3 weeks on VLCD, super strict. that ought to allow me to get rid of 15lbs weight, than switch to the regular 5 meals a day trying to keep the food fresh and lean.

My BMR according to Harris&Benedict equation is around 2600KCal. Add in a factor of 1.2 for a sedentary lifestyle (at the moment anyway) gives me 3120KCal. After the VCLD weeks i'm thinking of trying to start out at 2000KCal/day and see where that takes me.

I have a membership at the local 24/7 fitness gym.
I have 200m walking distance to an olympic size swimming pool, and best of all, i have a garage with barbells, dumbells, elliptical trainer, TRX suspension trainer, and a few kettlebells. Even got a huge tractor tire and a sledgehammer. Told you i'm great at starting things! :-)

The Couch to 5k is ready and printed, i'll start that right away. I'll get back to you tomorrow with an update on how the first time jogwalking went.

2010-09-02 4:42 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Sounds like you have a plan which is great.  Since I seem to be the only one complimentary of the Very Low Carb Diet I'll let you know how I successfully came off of it and sustained what I did.  One is walk as a form of cardio while on it.  In you case walk and use the elliptical.  Something slow, but enough to raise your heart rate a little.  And lift weights if you can.  When you start to add in carbs add then pre workout first and start at about 25g.  Give that a week and then add the same amount post workout.  Give that a week and bump those numbers a little or add 25-50g of carbs to another meal.  Work it back in smoothly and slowly.  While you work it back in you have to crank your workouts.  You should have extra energy from the carbs so use it.  Run, bike, lift heavier, do all these things longer.  The other trick is eat as much in lower gi carbs as possible, ie brown rice/sweet potatoes/oats.  No white bread, no white pasta, no refined flour, etc.
2010-09-02 6:53 AM
in reply to: #3077713

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

uhcoog - 2010-09-02 4:42 AM Sounds like you have a plan which is great.  Since I seem to be the only one complimentary of the Very Low Carb Diet I'll let you know how I successfully came off of it and sustained what I did.  

When I initially read the OP, I didn't know what VLCD was... when I googled, I found that every reference was to Very Low Calorie Diet (not very low Carb diet).  

While I don't think that low carb is necessarily the way to go if you're training a bunch, I can definitely agree that it works for some people.  On the other hand, I think that low CALORIE diet may garner quick results, but it's not sustainable and when you go off it there may be a bad boomerang effect ... or - as would be the case if I did it - it's just SO DIFFICULT to stay faithful to because it's so damn restrictive.  For me, easier to think of this as a lifestyle change, not a diet change.

2010-09-02 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
VLCD, I thought this meant calories as well which is why I suggested against it. I have been following a low carb diet for 2.5 years and find it's very sustainable. Many people are convinced you need lots of carbs to fuel for workouts. This is true for HARD efforts that go past one hour but not at all true for your typical person that puts in an hour or so at the gym each day.Your body, even on a low carb diet, will have enough glycogen to fuel 60-90 minutes of hard effort workouts. The OP is not yet at a point where they will be pushing that level and should have no problem on a lc plan. Eating whole foods including fatty meats, green vegitables and eggs will naturally supress appetite and help promote using stored fat for fuel.When you the OP begins pushing past that threshold then supplimenting carbs to sustain effort should be considered and practiced. Even then though your body can continue to fuel from stored fat and based on your fitness can keep up with a moderate effort pretty well. I have spoke with several people that do marathons, etc on low to zer carb diets. Many of them would also admit that they might be faster if they supplimented more but abstain from carbs out of principle. While I think this is a little strange and possibly extreme I would congradulate them on there dedication.
2010-09-02 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
VLCD is low calories, typically less then 500 KCal/day. It's also low in Carbs though, so i guess both could apply.

Edited by FlyBoy172 2010-09-02 8:22 AM
2010-09-02 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3077932

User image

Pro
CyFair
FlyBoy172 - 2010-09-02 8:21 AM VLCD is low calories, typically less then 500 KCal/day. It's also low in Carbs though, so i guess both could apply.

Ah sorry.  VLCD has been morphed in the weight lifting/body building world, my background, to mean low carb.  No one would ever go that low on the cals because it throws your body into starvation mode and you'll catabolize muscle faster than you will fat.  I would definitely not recommend going down to 500kcals a day.  I would find your maintenance level with a trainer and go 500 cals under that until you plateau and then reasses.  Just my $.02

2010-09-03 4:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
I'm thinking i'll skip the VLCD, and try to aim for around 1500KCal/day instead in the first months of this project.

Oatmeal porridge this morning with some apple sauce, at a low 260KCal per serving that's a good start.

Had a little excursion out on the local trails yesterday, 5Km at a slow slow pace. Probably walked 60% of the time, but it's a start. Took me 45 minutes to do. Got a colleague who does 5k in 18 minutes.. bastard.. :-)

I also managed 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer this morning before the kids, dog, cats and girlfriend woke up.

All in all a good start.

11am here, time for a pear to snack on. (100KCal)

I'm a Coke addict, what are your thoughts on that? Diet coke and such products, my gut feeling is that it's bad, but i do like the fizzy drinks. :-(

And a question for you guys with large weight loss. Did you get flappy skin?
I love watching biggest loser, and i see how they get all that excess skin after losing 100-150 pounds.
Since i need to lose around 100 pounds i'm a little bit worried about the flappines. If that's a word?

Edited by FlyBoy172 2010-09-03 4:31 AM
2010-09-03 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3079971

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

FlyBoy172 - 2010-09-03 4:13 AM I'm thinking i'll skip the VLCD, and try to aim for around 1500KCal/day instead in the first months of this project. Oatmeal porridge this morning with some apple sauce, at a low 260KCal per serving that's a good start. Had a little excursion out on the local trails yesterday, 5Km at a slow slow pace. Probably walked 60% of the time, but it's a start. Took me 45 minutes to do. Got a colleague who does 5k in 18 minutes.. bastard.. :-) I also managed 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer this morning before the kids, dog, cats and girlfriend woke up. All in all a good start. 11am here, time for a pear to snack on. (100KCal) I'm a Coke addict, what are your thoughts on that? Diet coke and such products, my gut feeling is that it's bad, but i do like the fizzy drinks. :-( And a question for you guys with large weight loss. Did you get flappy skin? I love watching biggest loser, and i see how they get all that excess skin after losing 100-150 pounds. Since i need to lose around 100 pounds i'm a little bit worried about the flappines. If that's a word?

Way to go, getting out there and doing the 5k and ellipticizing!    That's awesome.  Doesn't matter how fast or how much you walked -- just doing it is the point right now.

As for the whole Coke thing... I mean, sure, ideally you give that up too.  But being a Diet Pepsi addict myself, I can tell you that I've lost weight while still enjoying 1 or 2 a day (but - diet, not the regular stuff.... WAY too many calories in that). I agree that it's not the healthiest thing around, but I also don't think it's pure evil as long as it's consumed in moderation (like so many things!).

I guess my initial thought is that as long as the Diet Coke doesn't make you crave other things that are bad for you, then one or two in your day aren't going to completely derail you.  Use that as a "reward" of sorts for awhile.  Once you get rolling and in a groove, you might find that you want to voluntarily give it up anyway.

2010-09-04 12:54 AM

Regular
Conejo Valley
For me nutrition is key for the sustained weight loss.  I've lost a pound a week now for 16 months and I'm settled at 2000 net calories per day.  If I exercise well over that, which I tend to do, I still end up keeping my total calories no higher than 2600-2800.  I measure HR zones and try to keep in weight loss zone the bulk of my workout time with bursts at the higher zones.  Good mix of carbs/protein/fat helps and I focus on whole foods.  Find what works for you and be patient.  This is nothing that can be rushed.
2010-09-04 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3081778

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
When I started, 5'10" and 240.  28% BF.  Couldn't run 1/4 mile straight (400 meters).  Hated swimming in 50 meter pool because it was so far.  Could bike about 10 miles, slowly.

3 years...

Did HIM *yawn*
2010-09-04 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
3 YEARS? I can't wait that long!

Just kidding, i know it's a long process. I feel i'm of to a decent start though.

1800KCal today and 45 minutes walking.

What about weighing myself?

Some say never, let the tape measure do the talking, some say once a week.
I think i do it about 3 times a day now, and that's a bit to often.

2010-09-04 5:24 PM

Regular
Conejo Valley
I've been at it 17 months now and weighed myself only once at the one year mark.  Turns out I lost 52 pounds in 52 weeks.   Haven't weighed myself since and will do so at the two year mark (annual physical).  For me it takes the focus of the at times random increases or decreases in weight that just frustrate.  It's also enabled me to focus on metrics that are more helpful to losing weight, such as time at HR zones, net calories, etc.  I started at 300 and have steadily worked my way down.  Good luck to you on the journey and take it slow and steady.  Avoid injury and graaaadually increase exercise when your body is ready for it. 

Edited by bmmac 2010-09-04 5:26 PM
2010-09-05 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3082089

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

FlyBoy172 - 2010-09-04 1:04 PM  What about weighing myself? Some say never, let the tape measure do the talking, some say once a week. I think i do it about 3 times a day now, and that's a bit to often.

I think how often you weigh-in is personal preference to a certain extent, though once a day (at the same time, same conditions every day ... i.e. always first thing in the morning) is about as often as you should do it.  More than that and all you're doing is seeing fluctuations that are dependent on a hundred different variables, the least of which might be what you ate or how much you exercised.

When I was fully in weight-loss mode, I weighed in only once a week.  That was often enough to provide feedback -- I had enough weight to lose that I usually saw progress and wasn't discouraged by the normal ups and downs that you'll get over the course of the week.

Also depends on how emotionally tied you are to that number that comes up -- the more your mood/attitude/etc hinges on it, I think the less you should check.

I would do measurements once a month - that's long enough that as long as you're mostly sticking with the program that you'll see some pretty remarkable results.  I used to LOVE getting measured because I knew it would be such a boost.

2010-09-05 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3082089

User image

Pro
CyFair
FlyBoy172 - 2010-09-04 1:04 PM 3 YEARS? I can't wait that long! Just kidding, i know it's a long process. I feel i'm of to a decent start though. 1800KCal today and 45 minutes walking. What about weighing myself? Some say never, let the tape measure do the talking, some say once a week. I think i do it about 3 times a day now, and that's a bit to often.

When the weight starts flying off you're going to want to be on the scale daily.  When it slows that approach will mess with your mind.  I'm a fan of weighing once a week or once a month.  Really I let the mirror be my guide as a scale is just numbers.  Right now I'm to the point I can almost see my abs, which will be a first in my adult life.
2010-09-06 2:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
I like the sound of weight flying of! :-)

I'll stick to weighing in every monday then.

Is it to early to go shopping for a Forerunner?
If not, anyone know if the 310XT is a lot better than the old 305?

Just started watching Biggest loser season 9, highly motivating!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok, so i'm fat. Rss Feed  

of 5