General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extremely nervous about finishing last on First Tri : Hammerfest Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-02 9:03 AM

Subject: Extremely nervous about finishing last on First Tri : Hammerfest

Help!

For the past three years, I have set a goal to complete my first triathlon- the Hammerfest in Branford, CT- a sprint tri:  3/4 mile swim, 13.5 mile bike, and 3.5 mile run- It always starts out with great intentions- I set a very specific training schedule, stick to it, and about a month before the tri - nervousness and anxiety takes over that I'm not prepared enough, that I "can't" do it, that I"ll finish last and embarrass myself- and I am ashamed to say- I chicken out.............now, I am usually a very positive person, and if any of my friends were to come tome with this dilemma I would say that they just had to go for it- that it's about just finishing your first tri- and yet, I can't seem to follow that advice myself...

So this year, I've gotten a little farther in my endevour- I've registered for Hammerfest, set to be held on September 19th 2010.  I have been seriously training for the last 5 months and I am DETERMINED to complete it this year. But that determination has not helped in calming my nerves- I am terrified.  Everyone that I speak to about this particular race says they're not sure if it's the "right beginner race".  I cannot chicken out, but I am so nervous that I'm going to be the last one to finish.  I have visions of crossing the finish line, and everyone's already gone home (lol)... Please help! 

Embarassed

2010-09-02 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3078053

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Subject: RE: Extremely nervous about finishing last on First Tri : Hammerfest
GidgetsGonnaTri - 2010-09-02 10:03 AM

Help!

For the past three years, I have set a goal to complete my first triathlon- the Hammerfest in Branford, CT- a sprint tri:  3/4 mile swim, 13.5 mile bike, and 3.5 mile run- It always starts out with great intentions- I set a very specific training schedule, stick to it, and about a month before the tri - nervousness and anxiety takes over that I'm not prepared enough, that I "can't" do it, that I"ll finish last and embarrass myself- and I am ashamed to say- I chicken out.............now, I am usually a very positive person, and if any of my friends were to come tome with this dilemma I would say that they just had to go for it- that it's about just finishing your first tri- and yet, I can't seem to follow that advice myself...

So this year, I've gotten a little farther in my endevour- I've registered for Hammerfest, set to be held on September 19th 2010.  I have been seriously training for the last 5 months and I am DETERMINED to complete it this year. But that determination has not helped in calming my nerves- I am terrified.  Everyone that I speak to about this particular race says they're not sure if it's the "right beginner race".  I cannot chicken out, but I am so nervous that I'm going to be the last one to finish.  I have visions of crossing the finish line, and everyone's already gone home (lol)... Please help! 

Embarassed

Hi - congrats on your 5 months of preparation !! I'd say laying down the $$$ is a very good incentive to show up for the race. Let me say that first off, everyone is nervous at the beginning of the race, no matter how many of these you've done. I would not be nervous about coming in last, there's a very good chance that you won't. 

So that being said, what are you most nervous about?
For me it's generally been the swim. I did my first ocean swim this year and i was very nervous, but i pre-swam the course with some BT folks and realized that swimming in the Ocean is way easier than swimming in a lake or a pool. You're much more bouyant.

Key to the swim - just relax, take your time. It's the shortest part of the race and since it's the first part you don't want to tire yourself out for the rest of the race. Plus, unless you are a very accomplished swimmer, you're most likely not going to go that much faster (and may even go slower) if you try to swim real hard.

After that, what stresses me out is setting up and performing the transitions.

Make a checklist ahead of time (there are some available on the site). Make sure you have everything you need for transition and practice setting your transition up ahead of time and practice both your transitions just to make sure your not forgetting anything and things are layed out the way you want.

The only other thing i would suggest is getting to the race as early as possible. Get your transition all setup and warm-up. Take a 5-10 minute easy, easy jog and a 4 or 5 minute easy swim. If you have time and it's not too inconvenient to take your bike out for a quick 10 minute spin between the jog & swim do that. If you're time is limited, at least try to get a swim in. This will get your heart rate up and get you settled in.

Just relax, enjoy, don't push yourself too much. I would try to go easier than you think you need to. You can always adjust for your next race.

Good Luck and Have a GREAT TIME!!
You'll love it !!!
2010-09-02 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

First off even if you were the last person to finish..you got up and did a LOT more than most people on that day and should be proud of the accomplishment of finishing. Honestly in any given race there are people that don't finish at all..no worries there are other races out there to try again.

Are other people going there to support your adventure? See if you can find a friend or 2 to accompany you or at least show up to cheer you on. You will also find that most tri folks are extremely helpful if you need assistance setting up you transition area.

Suggestions..

1) ask if there is a wave for first timers..most times they will let you go in the last wave...its a little more relaxing knowing that there aren't any waves behind you to come plow you over. Also start out in the back or off to the side of your wave. If you freak out.. stop.  back float. recover  then start swimming again. ...I think I did that at least 5 times during my first tri. There is plenty of help out on the water if you have to hang onto a kayak for a few minutes..its OKAY!!!

Once you are out of the swim the rest is cake..take a joy ride on your bike, walk the run if you have to..its no biggie LOTS of people do it or have been in your shoes!!

Most of all HAVE FUN!!!

2010-09-02 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Haven't done hammerfest and might since it's only <10 miles from my house but don't worry about being last.

As for it not being first timer friendly, I'd disagree.  I know the course and actually accidentally rode it during the race last year during a training ride (didn't realize the race was that morning).  It's a couple of loops on the bike and pretty flat.  If you are nervous about the swim just start in the back and let everyone go off ahead so you don't get pummeled.  You've trained for it.  Time to conquer your fear. 
Have you practiced in open water?
2010-09-02 2:17 PM

Everyone's been so wonderful with their posts today and I really appreciate the encouragement!

I have swam in open water - I've been training at a lake-I know that's different from the ocean but I also have my waterfront guard certs so the water's really not the part that scares me  Do you think a full wetsuit is absolutely necessary or could I get away with just a trisuit?

It's extremely reassuring to hear that the bike is mostly flat- that's one of my biggest concerns.

And I absolutely love:

"What do you call the last person to finish:  A Triathlete"

I think that's awesome!
2010-09-02 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
A wetsuit is not necessary if you are comfortable without it..there will be people there in trisuits and just bathing suits too.

2010-09-07 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

I have done Hammerfest Tri twice- yes it is an ocean swim-but it is Long Island Sound & short..The race is well run & course is reasonably flat..I think it's a good choice for a first tri! In fact, I may check the webite & if its not sold out..maybe sign up!

If you have been training consistently & done a few brick workouts you absolutely CAN do it..so just relax & enjoy the experience!!!

2010-09-07 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3085341

User image

New Haven, CT
you'll be fine.  you are practices in OWS, have trained and you are ready to go.  A wetsuit will make your more bouyant for the swim but is not a requirement.  The water is nice and warm.
2010-09-07 3:31 PM

This is most certainly a good first tri for you.  Your much further along with training than a lot of people who are entering a tri.  If your goal is to finish, you can do that easy enough.  If you are worried about finishing last as a previous post indicated you have still done a lot more that morning than a majority of people in the USA.

About finishing last, my first tri was last month at the Niantic Bay Sprint Tri.  1/2 mile swim 20 minutes, transition from swim to bike, 6:30.... Flat tire right out of transition 20 mins( had to wait for mechanic) last biker on course.  3.5mile run in 32mins......came in 3rd to last, finishing best feeling I have ever had.  Will be at the hammerfest on the 19th for my 3rd tri since August 8.  Don't care were I finish, as long as I am challenging myself!!!!!

Good luck, I'll be pulling for you!

2010-09-13 11:58 AM

Expert

One of the great things about tri's is that is a very supportive group in general and no one cares where you finish.  The important thing is that you feel you can safely complete all 3 disciplines.  I worry when someone shows up unprepared as they can hurt themselves or be a dange on the course.  That does not sound like you at all as you have been preparing for this for years and have trained consistently.

If you are comfortable in the water, the I definately agree that this is a good first race.  I did it a number of years ago and I remember the bike and run being pretty flat.  Like someone else said, get there early so you have plenty of time to get set-up.

Goodluck and have fun.

Mark

2010-09-13 1:51 PM

This is a great first timer's triathlon.  I'm sure you'll be fine!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extremely nervous about finishing last on First Tri : Hammerfest Rss Feed