Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Best way to remove a vehicle inspection sticker? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-02 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Subject: Best way to remove a vehicle inspection sticker?
COJ, what are your best methods for removing these stickers cleanly?

Thanks in advance!

2010-09-02 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3079020

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Best way to remove a vehicle inspection sticker?
Razor blade has worked well for me.
2010-09-02 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
Yep, razor blades are the best bet, IMO.  You can also buy some of that residue-remover from the store, if there is stickiness left on the window after you scrape the sticker.
2010-09-02 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Diluted Simple Green and a razor blade.

While in college, I worked at a busy Sears Auto Center in Mass. when inspections were done twice yearly and everyone's stickers expired at the same time. The day after expiration we'd start the morning with up to 80 cars waiting in line. Got good at removing old ones quickly.  This was before emissions were included in inspections.

I also got good at accepting "incentives" to move people up in the queue. I used to love sticker days. This also applied to the tire line on the morning of the first snow fall.
2010-09-02 4:38 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
I take my vehicle to the service station, and pay them to do an inspection.  Then they take off the old sticker and put on the new one.

Why would you need to take your own sticker off?  What if you get stopped on the way to get inspected? Won't you get ticketed?
2010-09-02 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3079467

User image

Sensei
Sin City
razor and WD-40 or fingernail polish remover to get rid of any of the glue/stickyness.

I get a yearly national park pass that has to be stuck to my windshield every year and use this approach.

2010-09-02 5:04 PM

User image

Elite
A razor blade scraper is a razor blade mounted in a handle.  It makes scraping much easier.
This will help
2010-09-03 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3079467

User image

Master
Beijing
gearboy - 2010-09-01 5:38 PM I take my vehicle to the service station, and pay them to do an inspection.  Then they take off the old sticker and put on the new one.

Why would you need to take your own sticker off?  What if you get stopped on the way to get inspected? Won't you get ticketed?

Moved to a state that doesn't require inspections?   Or bought a used car from a state that requires them, but lives in a state that doesn't.

Indiana does not yet require inspections.   We're largely rural, so we don't have many air quality issues.  (even in Indianapolis.)
2010-09-03 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3080236

User image

Pro
moondawg14 - 2010-09-03 9:40 AM
gearboy - 2010-09-01 5:38 PM I take my vehicle to the service station, and pay them to do an inspection.  Then they take off the old sticker and put on the new one.

Moved to a state that doesn't require inspections?   Or bought a used car from a state that requires them, but lives in a state that doesn't.

Indiana does not yet require inspections.   We're largely rural, so we don't have many air quality issues(even in Indianapolis.)

OK that makes some sense.  Although inspections are not just for air pollution - they only added those in my  (rural) area of the state a year or two ago.  Mostly they are to make sure the car is safe to drive - the brakes and tires are working, the lights are working and aimed/adjusted correctly; I don't know what else specifically is inspected, but it is nice to know that the other cars on the road have, theoretically, within the last year, demonstrated that they have enough tread to avoid a blowout, the brakes work, and I will not be blinded by them having maladjusted headlights.

We actually have 2 stickers on the cars - one for the general inspection, and one for the emissions.  And we need to also keep the paperwork in the vehicle about emissions.  I don't think my motorcycle needs the emissions inspection - at least, there is only one sticker on it, and no other papers I need to keep with me.
2010-09-03 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3080434

User image

Master
Beijing
gearboy - 2010-09-02 10:40 AM
moondawg14 - 2010-09-03 9:40 AM

Indiana does not yet require inspections.   We're largely rural, so we don't have many air quality issues(even in Indianapolis.)

OK that makes some sense.  Although inspections are not just for air pollution - they only added those in my  (rural) area of the state a year or two ago.  Mostly they are to make sure the car is safe to drive - the brakes and tires are working, the lights are working and aimed/adjusted correctly; I don't know what else specifically is inspected, but it is nice to know that the other cars on the road have, theoretically, within the last year, demonstrated that they have enough tread to avoid a blowout, the brakes work, and I will not be blinded by them having maladjusted headlights.

We actually have 2 stickers on the cars - one for the general inspection, and one for the emissions.  And we need to also keep the paperwork in the vehicle about emissions.  I don't think my motorcycle needs the emissions inspection - at least, there is only one sticker on it, and no other papers I need to keep with me.

I need to add:

We're mostly rural, and if you added a mechanical inspection, no one would be able to get to work!

I had an old jeep CJ7 that (like every other one in Indiana) had started to rust pretty bad.   We had a group of Irish teenagers that were visiting for the month of July.  I drove it to one of the events.   Several of the boys gathered around and were maveling at the rust.  "They let you drive this thing?"   Evidently they have very strict inspections over there.   Rust spot?  sorry, no pass.  you need to get it fixed.

I'm guessing that a mechanical inspection that was strict enough to actually make a safety improvement in Indiana would immediately disuqalifiy a good 25% of registered vehicles.   Definitely a move that a legislator would make..... if he/she was only interested in one term.  

I remember Indiana having inspection stickers when I was a kid.   However, they've done away with the program since then.   I don't know if it was for mechanical or emissions.  Maybe I'll find out.
2010-09-03 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3080624

User image

Pro
moondawg14 - 2010-09-03 11:51 AMI need to add:

We're mostly rural, and if you added a mechanical inspection, no one would be able to get to work!

I had an old jeep CJ7 that (like every other one in Indiana) had started to rust pretty bad.   We had a group of Irish teenagers that were visiting for the month of July.  I drove it to one of the events.   Several of the boys gathered around and were maveling at the rust.  "They let you drive this thing?"   Evidently they have very strict inspections over there.   Rust spot?  sorry, no pass.  you need to get it fixed.

That reminds me of my college roommate's car.  The floorboards were completely rusted through, and he had the holes covered with the mat.  It was like driving around in the Flintstone car!

2010-09-03 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Thanks for the responses!  To answer the question about the old sticker- I bought my car in Maine, but reside in NH.  The stickers go in different places so I needed to get the old one off. 

I actually didn't have to do a thing because I forgot I had a maint. appt. this morning and they took it off for me.  Wahoo!! 
2010-09-03 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3080659

User image

Master
Beijing
gearboy - 2010-09-02 12:04 PM
moondawg14 - 2010-09-03 11:51 AMI need to add:

That reminds me of my college roommate's car.  The floorboards were completely rusted through, and he had the holes covered with the mat.  It was like driving around in the Flintstone car!

Oh yeah!   RCOS*.  My Dad's old Datsun had that when I was a kid.   Worked great.

*(Road Condition Observation System)

It also had BPCS (Backseat Passenger Conversation System) wherein the front seat mount was rusted along with the floorboard.   You could lean the front seat back without pressing any levers... it was barely connected to the car.

This car also had a battery in the back of the passenger compartment, instead of under the hood.   He had to jump start the car so often that he would leave the jumper cables in the car and connected to the battery.     One time when riding back from somewhere we had several other kids that we were bringing with us, so I got to ride in the "very back."   I happened to grab the jumper cables and touch the other  ends together... .OOOOH!!!   sparks!

He just sent me a pix the other day when his car (my old car, the first car I bought out of college) rolled over 200k miles.  The vehicle speed sensor is wonky so the actual mileage is about 250k miles, we suspect.    I'll need to check this weekend to make sure he hasn't left the jumper cables connected under the hood!
2016-06-27 7:19 PM

A few reasons why someone would want to take the sticker off clean actually. I googled this because my son threw a rock at my windshield. I'm going to replace it myself. I'm from San Jose California, we don't have stickers on our windshields. If you ask me, I think it's pretty lame. But I live in Massachusetts now, and I want to take it off and put it in the new window. Not everything is criminal you know?
2016-06-27 9:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kelter1980 A few reasons why someone would want to take the sticker off clean actually. I googled this because my son threw a rock at my windshield. I'm going to replace it myself. I'm from San Jose California, we don't have stickers on our windshields. If you ask me, I think it's pretty lame. But I live in Massachusetts now, and I want to take it off and put it in the new window. Not everything is criminal you know?

The crazy thing is.....it's been 6 years since this thread ran and there seem to be no new innovations. Who would have thought we couldn't make progress here? 

Windshield Lives Matter.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-06-27 9:46 PM
2016-06-29 8:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Kelter1980 A few reasons why someone would want to take the sticker off clean actually. I googled this because my son threw a rock at my windshield. I'm going to replace it myself. I'm from San Jose California, we don't have stickers on our windshields. If you ask me, I think it's pretty lame. But I live in Massachusetts now, and I want to take it off and put it in the new window. Not everything is criminal you know?

The crazy thing is.....it's been 6 years since this thread ran and there seem to be no new innovations. Who would have thought we couldn't make progress here? 

Windshield Lives Matter.

That's about how long it's been since you've said anything consequential around here !!!

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-06-29 8:28 AM

2016-06-29 9:27 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Windshield Lives Matter.

That's about how long it's been since you've said anything consequential around here !!!

LOL - truly.....is there any thing of consequence LEFT to say about triathlon, or any other subject for that matter, on a message board?

2016-06-29 2:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Windshield Lives Matter.

Even crazier is the fact that this is their one and only post, and on the day they joined!  Apperantly the WLM movement is really near and dear to thier heart.  

2016-07-04 7:26 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Pro
Tejas
Windshield stickers and WLM are not joking matters. I peeled mine off last month and the dang thing disintegrated into a fine sticky white powder. I've been wiping that crap off my dash and a/c vents for a month now. WLM!!!!!
2016-07-06 12:28 PM
in reply to: kziemer

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I work for Enterprise/Alamo/National... The best way I've found is to soak it with glass cleaner and scrape it off with a razor blade.
2016-07-12 3:17 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Alabama

I have a F150 Raptor and with a black/grey interior....except when I'd flip the visors down and there were these big white/yellow/red stickers on the backs of the visors with a lot of big-brother motherhood statements about car seats and the like.  They were glued onto the fabric of the visors and they would not simply peal off.  If I tried to peal them they would tear and leave a mess. So....I took a heat gun and warmed up the glue and they easily came right off!!

My guess is the same technique would work for an inspection sticker. 

Heat guns are pretty cheap but I guess a blow dryer would work too.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Best way to remove a vehicle inspection sticker? Rss Feed