General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scott Tinley - The More Things Change Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-03 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Scott Tinley - The More Things Change
Scott Tinley is writing articles directly based on your topics and questions I have found in the forums.  He would love your feedback and discussion on his writings here. 

Feel free to voice your thoughts on his latest article, The More Things Change.  If you are a veteran, have you noticed the sport changing?  How so?  To newbies, what's your initial impressions with triathlon?

2010-09-03 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3080668

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Scott Tinley - The More Things Change
Multifaceted responses here, so bear with me.

I've been stalking Scott's writing and academic career for a while. The prose is lovely and lyrical as always, but a little more cluttered, a little more dense, purple prosy, sometimes even repetitive, and has been getting so for a while. I get the feeling he's continuing in the development of his voice and syntax, which is great. Just my observations and his journey, and it's wonderful to see him on it. And MOST wonderful is the privilege of having his voice here with us on BT. His hero pedestal just got an inch taller for me, so I'll have to bump up the stalking efforts. (I tried to name my dog Tinley, but my roommate changed her name while I was away).

As for his observations about the ostensible changes in the sport of triathlon, they ring true for me. Many of the great names--people and brands--have persevered. Triathlon has certainly held on to its spirit of derring-do. Underneath the bells and whistles, we still have cowbell. Fewer St. Arnauds? Yes. But I don't think they're going extinct anytime soon.

Ron, I'm glad you asked for the newbies' impressions of the sport--I hope some respond. I am curious about their opinions, which many might not otherwise express in main threads or by starting their own.

At my first triathlon, which was also an inaugural (lucky me!) there were MANY first-timers ... bikes with baskets (mine had streamers and a turtle honky horn) ... basketball shorts worn into the pool ... no goggles ... cross-trainer shoes ... I then participated in the v.4 of that triathlon, and unfortunately, it had gotten a lot more high-tech overall. HOWEVER ... there were still a proud few with campus cruiser bikes (not of the newfangled-classic fixie variety--I mean cruiser bars), mesh shorts, cotton T-shirts, and the exuberant yet clueless look I have tried to maintain from my first triathlon.

I see these same people at every triathlon I participate in--apparently they show up at half-irons and even iron-distance events--and I do wish, and believe, they will never go away.

The peak of the triathlon pyramid seems to increase with technology and dollars and higher Kona qualifying thresholds, and the base narrowing--but for every measure the top rises, the bottom is filled with the same ragged-edge, bare-bones, all-heart-no-gear hopefuls. Some will rise to the peak; some will remain there, ever joined by others who are still going to do it on a mountain bike and a budget because they don't know otherwise.
2010-09-05 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3080908

User image

Champion
When Scott and I first talked about his column here, he did want to 'experiment' a little and not be constrained to just one page - a little more rambling and play to get outside of the 'back page' size.  This is probably what you have noticed from his first two articles.  Scott is definitely up to modify his style some to fit the readers.  Comments like this are more than welcome and is the only way we can make things even better.
2010-09-06 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3082807

User image

New Haven, CT
I really enjoy Scott Tinley's writing style.  I'm a lawyer, so basically I write for a living, albeit in a technical fashion and its nice to see creative and effective use of language.  I am also a relative newbie (finishing year 4 of tris/endurance sport).  What I like best about Tinley's pieces (as with his prior work for Triathlete), are that they are not overly technical (i.e. articles about bike cranks or swim technique), yet manage to convey information about the sport, its history and and even a bit of coaching. 

In terms of topics, any thoughts about how to keep training fresh and fun (particularly as it relates to those of us who do nearly all their training solo) are always welcome; as are discussions about recovery from injury.  Thank you all for bringing Scott Tinley to this site and for soliciting input.
2010-09-12 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Is this the same Tinley as "Tinley Talks"?  Last page of Triathlete Magazine for years (but sadly no more)?  If so, very cool that he is writing for BT now.  Gotta run but can't wait to read the article.

Edited by Lisa B 2010-09-12 7:41 PM
2010-09-30 12:09 PM

Pike NH

"The significant drive for individual autonomy." -- Nice.

2010-09-30 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
I enjoy Tinley's use of language and metaphor, but I sometimes feel like he makes Faulkner look like a children's books. He could stand to tighten up some paragraphs and stay on topic a little more, or at least provide better transitions between paragraphs. I appreciate free flowing writing, but I'll admit that sometimes I get lost reading his column. 

As a newbie, my own impressions are mostly positive. I love the attitude that most anyone that I've met has displayed, be it a front of pack vet or just a dude on a cruiser. I see the sport getting more and more popular--and I want the sport to thrive-- but I hope that with that popularity that the overall vibe doesn't change for the worse due to things it being more accessible to everyone. This vibe changed with snowboarding and skateboarding. Originally these were "white boy" past times, but now you see people of all kinds partaking in them. The vibe is definitely different than before, and I would say it's mostly been positive. However, there are some negatives that come along. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scott Tinley - The More Things Change Rss Feed