www.racedmc.com
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 214/282
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/22
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race (my first 10K) I laid out my clothes, equipment, and everything else. My 4yo son was doing the Fun Run at this event, and he laid out all of his stuff next to mine...it was too cute.

I got to bed early, woke up early, had a bagel with a little PB and a banana, and hit the road.
Event warmup:

I met my friends Melch and Will at the starting line. We stretched using a long, wooden cattle-type fence in the parking lot. It was perfect with the three cross beams. I didn't do any warm-up run; I used the first mile for that. Finally, we found our place in the corral. They had spaces for 7, 8, 9, and 10 minute miles, and then "Walkers." We lined up right in front of the walkers.

You could barely hear the announcements. In fact, I don't know that I heard a single thing that was understandable. I all sounded like Peanuts cartoon adult talking.
Run
  • 1h 17m
  • 6.22 miles
  • 12m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 3.1 (which was another race called "The Diamondback") wasn't too bad at all. There were some small hills, but nothing big.

Once you rounded the corner past the 5K mark, however, you entered into a long, VERY hot, sunny flat run on blacktop that led right into the most grueling set of back to back valleys I've ever run.

Those hills (in miles 4 and 5) absolutely killed me. Had I known how bad they truly were, I'd have slowed down even more in the first 3.1. I ended up walking a good portion of the second 3 miles.

Finish line was great; right under the Eiffel Tower.
What would you do differently?:

More long runs in preparation. I just don't think taht I was ready, especially considering the hills. I would pace myself in the first 4 a little more to get ready for the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a little while. Had a bagel and some water. Watched my son in the Fun Run. Spent the afternoon walking around the theme park!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My slow pace. :-)

Event comments:

This was my first 10K and my first time running at Kings Island. Though I can't speak from experience, I understand that this year was much better than last year. My comments to the race director were (1) louder announcements, (2) wider lanes at two points, (3) paving two dangerous areas, and (4) if you can't eliminate the hills, at least clean them off; the wet leaves were treacherous.

The adidas tech tees are very nice. The $50 fee also included a medal and entry into the park. When you take all of that into consideration, that's a great deal.

Last updated: 2010-09-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:17:00 | 06.22 miles | 12m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/22
Overall: 214/282
Performance: Average
3 mile: 32:58 Last 3: 44:03
Course: The course was fun, but difficult. It started in the parking lot, went around the Great Wolf Lodge, wound through the park, back out into the parking lot, through the waterpark, around a long park access road, and up the International Street to end under the Eiffel Tower.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No