General Discussion Race Reports! » Greater Cincinnati Race for the Cure Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Greater Cincinnati Race for the Cure - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
Susan G. Komen
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = NA/18,000
Age Group = NON-COMPETITIVE
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was a team leader for Team Metabolife's My First 5K program. It was an honor to help 5 people as they trained to run their first 5K. I got up around 6:00a, had a small Jiffy PB sandwich on whole grain bread and a banana, got dressed, and caught the 6 (bus) to downtown. My wife and son were coming down a little later, so this way we only had one car downtown.

I got there around 7:40a so that my team members would be able to find me now matter what time they arrived. I took the opportunity to do some prolonged stretching and, as always, it felt great.
Event warmup:

This is a huge event. HUGE! 18,000+ participants (I saw a race number that read "19102", so I knew that the most important thing was to get in front of the walkers. Other than taking some group pictures or the Metabolife folks (and posterity), we didn't have time do to anything except stretch.
Run
  • 40m 3s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 12m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

The competitive, timed race started at 8:45a. After about 3 minutes, I turned around and saw the 16,000 or so walkers and realized that there was probably 3,000 "I'm-gonna-run-this-thing-without-training" folks and decided that we should get going. I was pacing at 12:30/mile for two of my team members and we decided to have our own 8:50a start time. Other people had already decided to do the same, so it was relatively crowded. I can't imagine what beginning runners must have felt back in "the pack".

The first uphill is brutal for beginners. It's at the part in the race where you feel like you are the master of your domain (first 1/2 mile). I made sure that I tried to help my team members reign in their inner Usain Bolt, and we Chi-ran the hill.

After that, the downtown portion of the run is quite nice. 5th street is wide and was closed. There was a live band on the Square, and all was well with the world. As we rounded the corner of Eggleston onto Pete Rose Way, we came to the first (and as it turned out ONLY) water stop. Not only was it poorly manned, the supply of water was minimal. I felt for my wife and the rest of our team who were back in the masses and would not get any water.

We mounted the ascent to the peak of the Purple People Bridge, descended and rounded the corner to run past Newport-on-the-Levee, and started the final uphill of the race: the Taylor-Southgate bridge. It's a beautiful run, going over two bridges. However, the beginners were getting pummeled with long, steady inclines.

I slowed to help one of the two team mates to reach the peak of the bridge and fight back some nausea (successfully...), then sprinted up to finish with the other. He did a great job and, in his first 5K, finished with a time just under 40 minutes.

I turned, ran back to the other team mate, and helped to motivate her to a 43 minute finish.
What would you do differently?:

There are few things that I would do differently, other than enter the competitive race. At the least, it would have thinned out the traffic on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around the nearly-empty expo...bummer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My decision to pace for my trainees. Best...decision...ever. I had a wonderful friend do that for me on my first 5K and my first 10K. This was a favored returned.

Event comments:

This is the biggest, and one of the most-organized, charity run/walks in Cincinnati. The only improvements I'd make are:
(1) require expo vendors to stay longer. Many people were excited to talk/shop/sample, but everyone was gone.
(2) Have a separate non-competitive run start instead of with the walkers.
(3) Add one or two more water stops. Most charity races have one at each mile...they should do the same.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-09-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:03 | 03.2 miles | 12m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/18,000
Performance: Average
While the official distance actually read "3.03 miles", it was Garminated to 3.20 miles.
Course: The course was great. We started at the corner of 2nd and Walnut just in front of the Underground Railroad Freedom Center (between the home of the Reds (GABP), and the Bengals (PBS). We continued west on 2nd, turned right onto Elm, right again onto 3rd street, then left up the two-block hill on Vine to Fountain Square. From there we turned right on 5th, left on Sentinel, right on Eggleston, right on PETE ROSE WAY (Hall of Fame...), then left across the mighty Purple People Bridge. Once we descended past Newport-on-the-Levee, we made an immediate right onto 3rd. Curving around the Newport Aquarium, 3rd St. led us to the Taylor-Southgate bridge for the final ascent. Down the other side, a double-back under the bridge on Mering (a deviation from the filed route on USATF), and across the finish behind GABP.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %na
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-12 3:40 PM

User image

Cincinnati
Subject: Greater Cincinnati Race for the Cure
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greater Cincinnati Race for the Cure Rss Feed