Revolution3
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 19m 48s
Overall Rank = 118/325
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/43
Pre-race routine:

What is there to say here... Me and Mom (Mom and I?) arrived in Sandusky Thursday afternoon... got checked into the hotel and got all the necessities done. Friday I went to the practice swim...wow it was crazy. 5ft+ waves out half a mile from shore...it definitely took some adjustment to get comfortable with it... I spent wayyy too long swimming Fri/Sat from a "rest" standpoint, but I figured it was important to be very comfortable in that kind of chop... We also checked out the expo, picked up race pack, etc. Saturday, another practice swim that was just...fun. No other way to put it. (almost 2 hours long...woops) Turned in the bike and started to freak out...just a little. This is Happening... All the hard work, the training, the stress, the early mornings, all coming to one day... Tomorrow.

I wake up, have breakfast, chat with some of the other guys/gals in my hotel that were packing up and heading to the event. "Team Hampton Inn" and all that. I get in my BT kit, and we drive to the race site. I have my "Oh crap! Something went wrong" moment as I realize I left my bottles at the hotel, but a quick U-Turn solves that. I check in my bags, get weighed, place my bottles and have a last check over the bike. I get many comments on my "HTFU" disc wheel. I walk back to the car and get into my Wetsuit. By the time I get down the beach, it's time for the Pro's to start.
Event warmup:

Stand there and watch the pro males and females go out. There wasn't much time for a warmup.
Swim
  • 1h 26m
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well... what can I say. I knew my swim wasn't going to burn up the record books or anything, but I was fairly excited by the start. One big Mass start was a beating for the first 200m or so, but man it was fun. Somehow, I continued to make the inside of the turn bouy's and get thrown to the far outside... I'm not sure what the heck the problem was... I probably swam another 1/3 of a mile out of the way. Sighting was not so hot either as it was quite overcast and between that and all the moving arms... it was kind of a matter of finding a foot and following it. The run on the beach halfway through was interesting as well.

Photobucket
What would you do differently?:

I need more Open Water swimming, and, more importantly, more speed work in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

T1 was fairly uneventful. Run up the beach, wash off my feet, grab my T1 bag, run into the tent, a volunteer stripped the bottom of my wetsuit off, I threw on my Helmet and put my sunglasses around my neck, grabbed my bike and ran out.

As fate would have it, when I went to do my "Feet on shoes" mount, my left foot slipped off and I had a momentary "oh sh*t" moment. The good news is I recovered easily and was off and away. Good times.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Haha... not have a discussion about why riding on top of your shoes is better a week before the race ;) Seriously though, I could have probably sped it up a bit, but I was still taking it all in.
Bike
  • 5h 50m
  • 112 miles
  • 19.20 mile/hr
Comments:

A great bike ride. I was worried from all the stories about pushing too hard on the bike... so I carried an Avg. Watt output of 142. I certainly never felt like I was "burning" myself out, but... you know, your first rodeo you don't ride the meanest bull. The first 70 or so miles were amazing, I felt great, everything was going well. I drank somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a Cerasport every aid station, it went down a lot smoother than expected. I always kept an extra bottle of water in my jersey pocket (just in case) but never needed it... for hydrating anyways...

• .. yes, I peed on the bike.

• The last 30-40 miles the wind really picked up. I was constantly assaulted by headwind and crosswinds... it made the last miles a real challenge. I'll be honest, the last two miles were worse than the first 110! Gah they sucked. I'm very glad I chose my 404 on the front instead of my H3.

Overall I was pretty happy with my bike... I do wish I had put some more into it though. Also, had no problems holding my fairly steep aero position all day long (even drinking in aero!)

I also got passed by Bjorn... as he was going by me at what had to be 30+mph.

Go at it a bit harder. I simply don't think I pushed hard enough... another 30 watts on the AVG. would have still been in Zone2 for me.
    Transition 2
    • 02m 48s
    Comments:

OK, soo... Get my feet out of my shoes, ride in to the dismount line. Get off the bike, hand it to a volunteer and start to Ru...wait, that's not running... I "Jelly Leg Hobble" to my T2 bag, run into the changing tent, get a volunteer to throw some Sunscreen on my shoulders/neck... socks/shoes on, and out the door.

Photobucket

get it together a bit faster. I sat in T2 for a few seconds longer than I needed to getting my composure... ya know, to run my FIRST Marathon... actually, to run my first time over 16 miles...

...yeah...
    Run
    • 4h 57m 19s
    • 26.2 miles
    • 11m 21s  min/mile
    Comments:

Ok, lets be honest. I've never ran over 17 miles... most of those runs being in the 7:xx - 9:xx range, the long runs in the 10:xx - 11:xx range. I know I'm not going to be flying. That said, I want to finish strong and RUN the distance, sans the aid stations. I figure there is no need trying to run and drink at the same time, and it gives me some short breaks. I check my watch. *7:21:xx* in. I've got roughly 4 hours to hit the Half Max Qualifier (one of my "Great Day" goals) Well... time to try to run down the dream.
    Photobucket

I start of pretty strong, kicking out some 9:xx's for the first 4 or so miles. Things are going pretty solid up until...

• ..I have to pee. I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do. On the one hand, I've already peed on myself on the bike, so it's not like I'm against the idea... but... getting bike shoes wet and getting running shoes/socks wet are two different things. I resign myself to taking a break at the next aid station. I probably messed up trying to keep that mile in step with the ones before it (a 10/min mile) and get a mini-burnout. I get back in a slower rhythm and make it to the 13 mile mark...the turnaround. If you have never done a full distance and you're reading this... THERE IS NOTHING more disheartening than passing by the finisher's chute, knowing full well you have to go BACK out there and do another 1/2 marathon. I have a Mental Bonk at about mile 14.5. I realize it's a mental war now. I think back to all the days of training... I just keep telling myself "Just put one foot in front of the other... Keep Running... don't walk until we get to the aid station..." things like that. It works...sorta. By mile 16 my knee's are very stiff... by mile 17 I'm reduced to a shuffle. My times continue to tick slower... 10:xx...11:xx...12:xx... All to this point I've stuck with liquid calories in the form of Cerasport, and most of the run has been water only. Now, I hit the foods...hard! Like a fat kid at a Buffet, I put my "Iron Gut" to the test. Grapes, Banana's, Pretzels, Candy Bars, all of it. The bad thing is, it's not my stomach, or my motor in general... it's my legs. I just CAN'T make my knees bend far enough to get my stride picked up. I get to mile 22 and check my watch. I can't hit 11:45... I also see that I'm going to need to run a great 5k if I want to break 12 hours. I try my D@mndest, but even with the shouts of "GO BT!" from people going by and at the aid stations (thanks guys ;) I know it just isn't going to happen. I get to the bridge leading to Cedar Point (Less than 2 miles to go) and my left leg just LOCKS up. I walk/run/hobble/stretch my way to the parking lot. A guy standing at the side yells "C'mon dude, less than a Quarter of a Mile to the Glory!" and like that, I get that last bit of Adrenaline. I Run through the gates, give a fist pump or two, run down the Finisher Chute, get my BT plug in (going to be great finish line photo's) and get all the goodies. I missed the medical tent somehow (as I was supposed to get weighed again after the race) but considering I had to pee again, and it was clear... I figured I was in no danger of dehydration.

• Photobucket

Got to work on my running. I believe some Marathon training plans are in order.
    Post race
    Warm down:

After the finish line... I just shut down mentally. Mom walks me to Transition and I get my bike... and the wrong Bike - to - Run bag. I almost cried when the lady at the exit wouldn't let me leave (as I had the wrong bag) Fortunately, a volunteer standing by me saw that I was about to break down at the thought of going BACK to the Transition Racks, and went and got mine.

We went to Steak and Shake... I had a Large PB Milk Shake, a Western Double Cheeseburger and Two orders of Fries. And some Onion Rings.

Finally got back to the hotel... hobbled into the room and collapsed on the bed. That was the end of it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, especially in open water. Pacing on the Bike. Run training.

Just...ya know...everything ;)

2012 I'll be back for another 140.6 (before the world ends and all that)

Event comments:

Man... Rev3 and the Community of Sandusky were just AWESOME. I can't imagine it being any better, and this was the first year!!! Big leap from Knoxville in my opinion.

It was crazy, everybody in the entire city treats you like a rock star as soon as they see that red band around your arm... so amazing and supportive.

Some of the really cool things I saw / heard about.

- An athlete broke some spokes early on the bike... as he was sitting on the side of the road, race over, One of the Multisport Ministries guys rode by... he GAVE UP his Wheel (and his race) so the other guy could finish... now that's some sacrifice there.

- Another guy had a bent rim (as in, wouldn't spin through the frame) and was given another wheel by a fellow competitor so he could race.

- Bjorn... man, that dude was literally chasing down the cop on the motorcycle in front of him.

- All the Ladies... you were all beautiful! Even throwing up on the side of the road... (not to call anyone out, but I saw it happening)

Last updated: 2010-02-17 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    01:26:00 | 4224 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
    Age Group: 27/43
    Overall: 194/325
    Performance: Average
    Suit: Desoto T1
    Course: Two Rectangles. Basically we go out 1/2 a mile, across a ways, back in to shore, a run on the beach, back in and do another 1/2 - over - in.
    Start type: Run Plus: Shot
    Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
    200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
    Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
    Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
    Rounding: Good
    T1
    Time: 03:06
    Performance: Good
    Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    Yes
    Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
    Jump on bike: No
    Getting up to speed: Good
    Biking
    05:50:00 | 112 miles | 19.20 mile/hr
    Age Group: 17/43
    Overall: 101/325
    Performance: Good
    Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
    Course: Very nice course, out through Sandusky and the surrounding county's. Most of the roads were well kept, if a bit rough. There were a couple of hairy spots, but nothing too bad.
    Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 76
    Turns: Good Cornering: Good
    Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
    Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
    T2
    Time: 02:48
    Overall: Average
    Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
    Jumping off bike
    Running with bike Average
    Racking bike
    Shoe and helmet removal Average
    Running
    04:57:19 | 26.2 miles | 11m 21s  min/mile
    Age Group: 18/43
    Overall: 118/325
    Performance: Average
    Course: Out around the Harbor area in Sandusky.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Good
    Mental exertion [1-5] 4
    Physical exertion [1-5] 4
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities:
    Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
    2010-09-13 12:43 PM

User image

Champion
    Knoxville area
    Subject: Revolution3 Full Distance

2010-09-13 1:05 PM
    in reply to: #3095610

User image

Pro
    Subject: RE: Revolution3 Full Distance

Great report.  Thanks for the journey into what it feels like.

2010-09-13 1:12 PM

User image

Master
    ann arbor, michigan
    You too. Great race in a spectacular time.

I am inspired by you full distance guys. Now I just have to decide if I have the guts to jump up in distance again.
    2010-09-13 1:14 PM

User image

Master
    ann arbor, michigan
    I didn't realize that was you with the HTFU disc wheel. I was right behind you in line for bike tech on Saturday. Should have said hello. Thought the wheel was pretty damn cool.
    2010-09-13 1:17 PM

User image

Master
    Ferndale, MI
    Nice job out there, Chris.  I gave you the BT nod on what must have been mile 3ish for you (white RAWK tech tee).  You sure looked strong at that point!  Great job on finishing the race out with the pain you were in.  And I agree...Rev3 is a class act and the folks in Sandusky (and the little town of Milan!!!) were AMAZING!
    2010-09-13 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
    What used to be the country, PA
    Hey man - nice job on becoming an Ironman. I wish I had done tri's in my 20's when my body was still on the upswing.

P.S. - Chalk anothe one up for the wheel - I laughed my a$$ off at the HTFU on your disc - that is awesome.

2010-09-13 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
    Roswell, GA
    Way to go out there, nice report and pictures!
    2010-09-13 2:59 PM

User image

Master
    Guilford, CT
    nice job!
    2010-09-13 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
    Seattle, Washington
    Nice job! Great pictures!
    2010-09-13 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
    This was great! It sounds like you played it pretty much perfectly- and I love how much fun you had while doing it.
    2010-09-13 5:25 PM

User image

Expert
    HTFU.  Awesome.

Great Job!!!

2010-09-13 5:46 PM
    in reply to: #3096405

User image

Extreme Veteran
    u did awesome!

congratulations.
    2010-09-13 7:25 PM

User image

Master
    Elgin, IL
    That was a really great report!  Thanks for sharing what it is like through the entire race . . . did you really pee yourself????  You need to learned how they whip it out on the tour . . .

Great pictures to!!

Congratulations on a great race and to a great finish.

2010-09-13 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
    Great job! I definitely yelled a Go BT! at ya somewhere on the causeway!
    2010-09-13 8:03 PM

Veteran
    Hoosier heartland
    "C'mon dude, less than a quarter of a mile to the glory".  Love that.  Sig line worthy for sure.

I have a great admiration for people who can do an ironman. 

Great report and great job!!!!

Edited by cggale 2010-09-13 8:06 PM
    2010-09-13 9:04 PM

User image

Master
    Highlands Ranch
    Wow...outstanding, and inspiring!  Congratulations!!

2010-09-13 10:03 PM

Great Job on the Full!!!  I was the guy in the car next to you and your mom on race morning.  
    2010-09-14 12:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Montreal
    Wow, this is incredible... I'm certain you will remember this day for the rest of your life!!
    2010-09-14 8:04 AM

User image

Regular

Great job man!  Way to represent Knox-Vegas!

2010-09-14 4:00 PM

User image

Regular
    Fort Myers, FL
    Great Job. I saw you finish. Well done.
    2010-09-14 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
    Knoxville area
    thank you everyone!

It was great to meet all of you guys, even if I didn't know who you were at the moment

I'm back in town now, already thinking of my next one After my knee's come back to me that is.

2010-09-14 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Congrats on a strong race!!!  IRONMAN
    2010-09-14 5:25 PM
    in reply to: #3098623

User image

Champion
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    As I said in your post, I bet sub 12:00 if you had the blue P-X ; )

Great job Man, that is a smoking bike split. 

How the heck did you eat all that after the race?
    2010-09-15 1:20 AM

User image

Master
    Columbus, Ohio
    Coaching member
    Congratulations man! You had a great race! I saw you out there and cheered for you. Wonderful job.
    2010-09-15 9:42 AM

User image

Master
    Royersford, PA
    Great job out there. I remember that bike cruising past me and I was the guy who gave you 5 on the bridge at the start of your second loop on the run. Way to go.
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Full Distance Rss Feed  

of 2