General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing or have done the San Dimas Turkey Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-13 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
Subject: Anyone doing or have done the San Dimas Turkey Tri
I was wondering if anyone here planning to do the Turkey Tri on Sunday Nov 28th?  I think I may sign up and try to get into the top 3 OA and win my AG.   Anyone here have done the course?  If so, how is the course?

2010-09-13 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3096117

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Anyone doing or have done the San Dimas Turkey Tri
I did it last year (and have done two other tris at Bonelli Park as well).  Planning to do it again this year...probably my wife will this time, too.

Swim will likely be VERY cold...it was 56 degrees last year.  Freaked a lot of people out.

Bonelli is quite hilly (both bike and run)...when I did the fall Oly distance race there in 2008, I had my slowest overall time for an Oly and by far my slowest bike split, but still took 3rd in my AG. 

(Also, my bike computer showed the course for the Turkey Tri as much longer than advertised, so peoples' speeds were actually higher than the results would suggest.)

There are a couple pretty steep hills on the run as well...lots of people walking.

So, anyhow, if you are looking at previous results in contemplating an AG podium finish, just keep that in mind.  I was sub-7:00/mile officially for the "10K" at Malibu on Saturday; went 7:34/mile for 4.5 miles at Turkey Tri...hills, hills, hills.  I went almost 21 mph at Malibu; only 18.6 at Turkey Tri.  So adjust your expectations accordingly. 

Also, it's a pretty big field...last race of "the season" and pretty well run, so it attracts a lot of people.  I had a pretty decent race (although I had an injury going in), but placed a lot lower than I expected.  Since your splits at Malibu were almost the same as mine and you're in a younger/faster/bigger AG than I am, you'll need to really bring it just to get an AG medal.

Hope to see you there! 

2010-09-13 5:07 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
I'm thinking about it but figure I better get through my first tri before signing up for another one.

So much for the course description which says..."The bike is a 14 mile (2-loop) course that is mostly flat with a couple of small hills".  I was wondering what part of Bonelli was 'mostly flat'.  At least it would be some great motivation to start running and riding more hills.  

Edited by Chatagirl 2010-09-13 5:18 PM
2010-09-13 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
I did this race last year.  It was fun, but it wasn't as wide open as I thought.  I was hoping to podium in my AG, but I ended up 4th (16th o/all).  My swim was ok and I felt good on the bike, but my run fitness was not there - I felt sluggish from the start and had trouble with the hills.

The water was pretty cold and the bike and run courses have more hills than I expected.

I'll probably be there again unless I end up going out of town for the holiday weekend.  If I do it, I'll be shooting for somewhere around 1:25.  If the race were this weekend, my swim would be slower than last year, but my bike might be a little better and I'm pretty sure I would shave a couple of minutes off of my run time.  Who knows where I'll be in another couple of months tho.
2010-09-13 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
thanks for the heads up on the hills mike and todd, time to ramp up on the hill training...
2010-09-13 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA
Triheado - 2010-09-13 1:31 PM  I think I may sign up and try to get into the top 3 OA and win my AG.

Wow! Seriously?  

2010-09-13 10:59 PM
in reply to: #3096363

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

Chatagirl - 2010-09-13 3:07 PM

I was wondering what part of Bonelli was 'mostly flat'. 

The part by the airport.

2010-09-14 12:52 AM
in reply to: #3096256

User image

Veteran
SoCal
tcovert - 2010-09-13 4:27 PM I  So adjust your expectations accordingly. 

I just adjusted.....I am planning to now win both AG and OA...=)....

I was unware of how deep the field is...should be very tough and a lot of hard work...I may have been way over my head but only just a tad....=).. still planning on a podium finish
2010-11-09 3:45 PM

New user

Brawley
I'm registered for the turkey. Is there a big difference between a a full bodied surfer's wetsuit and a full bodied triathlete wetsuit?   
2010-11-09 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3203435

User image

Veteran
San Diego, Discovered by the Germans in 1904
brandon07 - 2010-11-09 1:45 PM I'm registered for the turkey. Is there a big difference between a a full bodied surfer's wetsuit and a full bodied triathlete wetsuit?   

Depends on the suit.  How thick is it? Biggest limiter will/could be range of motion.  Take the wetsuit and swim a few hundred meters a few times. If your range of motion is a-ok, critique the fit.  You want it to be fairly form fitting and not allow gallons of water in.  Ideally you want to get a little water in there and keep it in there.  If you like how it feels, use it for the tri.  Surfing wetsuits are designed to allow a full range of motion and form fitting, very similar to tri suits.  I see them at races all the time.

SCUBA diving wetsuits on the other hand.......

2010-11-09 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3203435

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
brandon07 - 2010-11-09 1:45 PM I'm registered for the turkey. Is there a big difference between a a full bodied surfer's wetsuit and a full bodied triathlete wetsuit?   

Yes...they'll both keep you warm (I wore a surfer's wetsuit for my first couple tri's and did fine), but the surfer's suit will have a bit more drag and weight in the water.  Given that the water was 56F last year for this race, you'll be happier in a surfer's suit than you will be in no wetsuit for a half mile swim, if those were your choices.

2010-11-10 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
I just signed up yesterday though I had been eyeing it for a couple of weeks.

I figured why not! This will be my 3rd "sprint" tri. I just did a 50K bike tour through Santiago Canyon on Sunday so I figure hills won't be too much of an issue on the bike for me after that (~2400ft climb over 32+ mile loop) considering I'm still a road bike newbie.

I'm already familiar with running hills though it's never been my absolute favorite thing to do. Is the run portion paved or on a trail or a mix of both?

I'm also thinking of using my free wetsuit rental for this one if the water is going to be in the 50's. I haven't used a wetsuit yet other than for an open water swim clinic in August.
2010-11-10 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3204990

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Rancid13 - 2010-11-10 11:27 AM Is the run portion paved or on a trail or a mix of both?

IIRC, it was all paved.
2010-11-10 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3205192

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
tcovert - 2010-11-10 12:35 PM
Rancid13 - 2010-11-10 11:27 AM Is the run portion paved or on a trail or a mix of both?

IIRC, it was all paved.

Cool, thanks! I like to know going in so I can mentally prepare for a hard or soft surface.
2010-11-10 8:53 PM

User image

Los Angeles
I'm doing it too.  Not sure if you guys have seen this listing for a OWS clinic at the park http://www.active.com/triathlon/san-dimas-ca/open-water-swim-clinic... />
Its $50 and seems like a great event for people (like me) ows novices.
2010-11-10 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3205866

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
waupaca11 - 2010-11-10 6:53 PMI'm doing it too.  Not sure if you guys have seen this listing for a OWS clinic at the park http://www.active.com/triathlon/san-dimas-ca/open-water-swim-clinic... />
Its $50 and seems like a great event for people (like me) ows novices.
Martha is a great coach, I did one of their OWS clinics at Crystal Cove back in August and she's very informative with tips, suggestions, do's & don'ts. They provided wetsuit rentals with the clinic fee and did all sorts of drills: entering & exiting the water, drafting, getting used to swimming in close quarters with others, etc. And she's funny too. Highly recommend by me.

2010-11-12 10:47 PM

User image

New user

It was my first tri last year. Yes, water was COLD!!! and event orgs wouldn't let you in before the start. Would have been nice to know the temp before the plunge! Not a good way to start your first open water race
:-) I'm doing again to see how I improve YOY. I've done 5 tri's this year.

Race was fun. Exit from water and you have about a 200 yard run up a asphalt drive way to T1. From your mount, you take a right turn and immediately go up hill for about a 10th of a mile and then start a 1mile or so decent across the dam and down a quick steep incline to make a sharp right turn back up hill. It's an out of the saddle hill as it isn't too long but is steep and coming out of the sharp turn you tend to lose speed. From there a slight undulating ride for the next mile or so then a false flat into the wind (usually). Right turn and you catch the wind on a flat (probably the fastest part of the course other than the big down hill that comes later). On to a right turn and up a false flat for another mile or so only to make another right turn into the park and up the longest and steepest part of the course. Once over the top a long down hill were you can grab 40mph. Watch the bumps in the pavement, better to the left. Undulating from there until you hit lap two or turn into T2. Run is concrete path, asphalt, and dirt. Couple of nasty hills, not too long but steep. Good luck!
2010-11-12 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3205866

User image

New user

I'm thinking of doing the training this sunday so I can get in the lake. The park officials won't let you swim in the lake after labor day. I'd love to get a feel for the water temp this year. Last year was sooo cold...
I'm thinking it should be quite a bit warmer. If I remember last year there was snow on the mountains at that time. 
2010-11-14 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3209186

User image

New user

Did the warm up. Water temp 64 degrees. Chilly but nice. Swam just over the half mile then ran the course. Just as I remember (hilly - but water wasn't freezing!).

On to a 1:40 or better finish!
2010-11-15 9:23 PM

User image

Los Angeles
I also swam the lake this past weekend with the Swim Velocity crew via the active link.  What a great clinic!  The water is not that cold...64 degrees and with a full sleeved suit it was very pleasant.  Nice change from the dirty ocean.  Yes, the swim exit is a long (200 yard or so) sand run, up a paved hill to T1.

We did the first 7mile bike loop...a little hilly but not a killer by any stretch.  The run had a couple hills.  No, its not a flat, fast course but definitely not brutal.  If the weather is like it was this past weekend (80 and sunny) I would be thrilled.

Again, if you want some great ows tip, tricks and techniques, take Martha's clinic this Sunday...well worth the $50.  Plus free wetsuit rental and a goodie bag.
2010-11-16 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3210716

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
riotinoakland - 2010-11-14 6:55 PM Did the warm up. Water temp 64 degrees. Chilly but nice. Swam just over the half mile then ran the course. Just as I remember (hilly - but water wasn't freezing!).

Ooh, that sounds like no-wetsuit needed temps to me! From past race reports and such I was expecting colder temps, in the 50's or thereabouts.

2010-11-16 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3213423

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Rancid13 - 2010-11-16 10:19 AM
riotinoakland - 2010-11-14 6:55 PM Did the warm up. Water temp 64 degrees. Chilly but nice. Swam just over the half mile then ran the course. Just as I remember (hilly - but water wasn't freezing!).

Ooh, that sounds like no-wetsuit needed temps to me! From past race reports and such I was expecting colder temps, in the 50's or thereabouts.

Wetsuit for a half mile swim = free speed for most people.  Why would you not wear one, esp. with temps in the low 60s?  (Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just always curious about what factors influence people's racing decisions.)

If it's over about 61 degrees, that just means sleeveless suit in my case (totally a comfort/ease of removal thing for me).

There's potential for a pretty cold rain system this weekend (snow down to 4000', last I heard) and cooler temps throughout next week, so I'd anticipate that the water temp will be colder than it is now come race day, but probably not by a whole lot.
2010-11-16 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3213626

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
tcovert - 2010-11-16 12:23 PM
Rancid13 - 2010-11-16 10:19 AM

Wetsuit for a half mile swim = free speed for most people.  Why would you not wear one, esp. with temps in the low 60s?  (Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just always curious about what factors influence people's racing decisions.)

Valid question. My reasoning:

A) I don't own a wetsuit. I've done 2 tri's, neither with a suit and I'm not looking forward to wearing one. I might consider renting one but not if the water will be in the 60's.

B) The only time in my life I have ever worn a wetsuit (tri or otherwise) was at an OWS clinic at Crystal Cove in August. I struggled getting it on & exerted a lot of energy doing so. Removal was easier but after we were done I went back into the water sans-suit & the water felt great to me. I was way too hot in the suit, especially after the swim. I was told by a lifeguard that the water was 61 degrees that morning. I was not a fan of the suit, regardless of added buoyancy & speed.

Hence my belief that 64 degrees = not an issue for me without a suit, considering I'll be in the water for less than 20 min. I do believe the water was in the low to mid 60's at the Long Beach and Hermosa tri's this year too. I had no issue with the water temps at either, it was refreshing to me (I don't get cold easily but I do heat up real quick).

I do still have time to think about it though, who knows I might change my mind before then.
2010-11-17 10:08 PM

User image

Los Angeles
rent a suit or buy one at xterra with the bt coupon.  Spend some time learning the right way to put it on and take it off....you will be glad you did.  At the clinic last week Martha taught a few great methods to get one on easy and more important, to take it off in 10 sec.  You will shrivel in that water at 60=ish degrees, trust me.
2010-11-24 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3216028

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
waupaca11 - 2010-11-17 8:08 PM rent a suit or buy one at xterra with the bt coupon.  Spend some time learning the right way to put it on and take it off....you will be glad you did.  At the clinic last week Martha taught a few great methods to get one on easy and more important, to take it off in 10 sec.  You will shrivel in that water at 60=ish degrees, trust me.

I'm going to go ahead and use my free wetsuit voucher for this one. I contacted Martha of Tri La Vie / Tri Velocity (she did the OWS clinics at Bonelli the last few weekends) and she verified the water was appx 60 degrees. Heading to Tri Zone on Friday to get fitted and will practice putting on, taking off, and try swimming in it for a short while.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing or have done the San Dimas Turkey Tri Rss Feed  

of 2