General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Banff International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Subaru Banff International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Banff, Alberta
Canada
Subaru Western Triathlon Series
5C / 41F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 24m 36s
Overall Rank = 92/343
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/45
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5, had the poptart and some inifinit and drove out to Banff, picking up another racer along the way.

Arrived pretty early so parked a block away and got no line in the pottys.

Took shuttle up to the T1/Lake
Event warmup:

Wetsuit on 20 mins before start and then got in 8 mins early to get used to the water/shock. Was below 12C(50F) so they cut the swim in half. Knew the swim wouldn't be the prob as much as the cold air once done. But the poor suckers with the bad fitting rentals or the farmer johns needed the relief of the shorter course for sure. Bad gear at these temps is dangerous.

Swim
  • 12m 46s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was shorter than 750 just based on my speed as I'm just under 2min/100

Pretty packed field, but no hitting or kicking.
What would you do differently?:

More swimming.
Transition 1
  • 07m 42s
Comments:

Yah that's right, almost 8 mins. No carpet so walking on sharp rocks the whole way, and in the rain, but still slower than too many. (135 rank)

Bike
  • 1h 12m 9s
  • 38 kms
  • 31.60 km/hr
Comments:

I had neoprene toe covers that DID NOTHING TO HELP. They got wet, then I froze. I decided to wear my socks on the bike to keep warm, but they were wet within seconds. My legs were bare but they're tough so that was tollerable. No shell, just tri top and a long sleeve tech shirt, and gloves. Again, unpleasant but tollerable. The feet were hell. On lap two I was shivering to the point where it was becoming a handling issue. If it had been any longer I would have quit.

Buy a bike shell for torso and figure something out for the feet. Last time I taped plastic bags to the toes of the shoes. I may switch to SPD pedals then get some proper mountain bike shoes for when it's cold.

Transition 2
  • 04m 47s
Comments:

Frozen, shaking and a bit disoriented - one vol was going to pull me cause she had to ask me 3 times if I was ok before I answered. Getting the shoes on and tying my laces (last minute shoe change) was a huge task.

Normally I use sockless zoot tts for <10Ks but because I knew I'd have socks on the bike, I wore my marathon/energy shoes. But then my wet socks on the bike had to come off and no dry socks meant running in the wrong shoes with no socks and laces. Argh.

Put socks in the T2 back no matter if using or not.

Run
  • 47m 14s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 43s  min/km
Comments:

I have never run with frozen feet before and it's a weird experience. It's like running in wooden clogs - I seriously thought someone had frozen my shoes, or that since I normally had socks that the soles were especially hard. After 2k it was back to normal and I felt cushion and could run decent. Lace came undone in the last 1K but I just ran with it flopping.

Stay warmer on the bike so the run isn't a pain to start.

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad eq planning for the weather and lack of training since 70.3.

And getting a deep body massage on Thurs was dumb. I was still sore as hell from it.

Event comments:

The goodie back was hilarious. A GAP bag for the wetsuit/t1, a single powerbar, a (nice) shirt and a flyer for rafting. No maps or instructions for the pasta parties or any of the other stuff. The explanations of how the pre-race clothing/gear was going to be returned was completely ommitted and so some people thought it ALL had to come back in the gap bag while others had suitcases. It all worked out in the end but just a bit more communication could have saved a lot of stress and hassle.

Last updated: 2010-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:46 | 750 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 92/343
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: One loop instead of two.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 11C / 52F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:42
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:09 | 38 kms | 31.60 km/hr
Overall: 93/343
Performance: Below average
Avg Pwr was 161, but the super steep downhills at 0 screwed up the avg. I kept it around 200-250 for the climbs and felt like I was doing well. According to the positions, I gained 20 places to put me back at my swim rank.
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 loops then a downhill into Banff. Slight to moderate climbing most of the way up then some solid 55km/hr+ downhills, with turns so I was on the brakes.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:47:14 | 10 kms | 04m 43s  min/km
Overall: 77/343
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops on a spider web of out and backs designed to maximize spectator views. Nice course, except for the 2K trail completely covered in horse crap and mud. GROSS. I kicked up mud twice that went back into my shoe. Lucky the weather improved so it was somewhat sunny with no rain and decent temps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 5:43 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Subject: Subaru Banff International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Banff International Triathlon Rss Feed