General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prairie Man Review: Pros and Cons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-14 12:04 PM

New user
Spring, Texas
Subject: Prairie Man Review: Pros and Cons
Pros: Transition areas well organized (not too crowded). Swim route was well staffed by kayaks and motorboats ensuring everyone's safety. Bike route was VERY well marked and all intersections were fully staffed by at least one and sometimes two cops. Plenty of cones out. Plenty of aid stations along the bike route due to it being a 4 loop route. Plenty of tented water/ice stations along the run with iced towels (every mile). Results posted quickly both at race site and online. Nice hat in swag bag and souvenir mug and shirts for finishers. Plus a sweet gift card for some Red Star Sunglasses.

Cons: Started a little late. would have preferred it if the half-iron would have been able to start before the sprinters since it was obviously going to be a hot day (last wave didn't start until almost 8AM). No sense in having the some of the sprinters back before some of the half iron swimmers even got to T1. No cons on the bike. NOT ONE porta john on the entire run course, which was mostly along a treeless, bushless elevated earthen dam. One portion of the run course was not well marked so that I almost cut about 100 yards off the course, and I know someone else ran about 300 yards longer than necessary. Only post race refreshment/food was various kinds of pizza, bananas, granola bars, and water or gatorade. Considering it was a half iron race where people burn through 5000+ calories, it would have been nice for a little more.

During check in, I saw a scale by the table. I asked if they were planning on having that scale available after the race so people could weigh themselves to determine their level of dehydration. She just said, "No, that's just there for clydesdale and athena validation for check in." I politely suggested that, maybe they might consider leaving it over by the medical tent just in case people want to check their level of dehydration. She said, "No, I don't think so," with a smile. It was very weird to have what I thought was a very reasonable and worthwhile safety issue completely disregarded.

2010-09-14 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3097933

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Prairie Man Review: Pros and Cons
I have to agree with most of this. There was one port-o-john on the run course, right where you turned to get on the dam. But, because there was only one there was a long line both times I passed it!

I found both the bike and run route to be very confusing. Random out-and-backs to make the distance. No timing mat at any of the run turn-arounds so it would be very easy to cheat. Also frustrating because you don't get a split at the mid-point.

Plenty of aid stations on the run course with lots of ice, but nothing else except Gatorade, water and pretzels. Gus and Endurolytes especially would have been nice. Lots of people were cramping on the course, I think having Endurolytes at the aid station would have been beneficial.

Also, the finish line set-up was cruel. You turn a corner and see the finish line and think you are done. Right before you get there they make you turn and go another half mile or so, I thought that was just miserable. I had already picked up the pace thinking I was done so to run around the park again did not make me happy.

However, my biggest beef was there was no real med tent at the end. When I asked for an IV post-race they told me they could put me in an ambulance and send me to the hospital, otherwise I should just get back in the lake to cool off. I always get an IV post-race for recovery. Nevermind that it was 104 with the heat index and there was no shade on the run course, IVs should have been mandatory!
2010-09-14 2:02 PM

User image

New user

Austin
Agreed with all of the above! Yes, the finish line was cruel, but I remembered that when spectating from 06 so I knew what to expect. I would have also expected a timing mat at the halfway point on the run to keep everyone honest.

The only other cons I can think of that haven't been mentioned was the fact that there was no bike mechanic on site, in the transition area before the race. Usually they have bike mechanics to help out with any last minute issues. There were people running around yelling out and asking if anyone had spare tubes or a bike pump.

I could have sworn there was mention of a post race massage tent. Maybe I misunderstood, but it was just Chiropractic ART care.

Edited by sqpinks 2010-09-14 2:03 PM
2010-09-14 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3098270

New user
Spring, Texas
Oh yeah, the "massage" tent was bizarre. i went up to the guy immediately after crossing the line to sign up, knowing that in past races you've had to sign up ad wait for a least a few minutes. I was astounded that there was only one table, and it was empty! I thought "SCORE!" So i ask if they are giving masages and he's like "no we're not dong massages, we're doing active release techniques. I'm like whatever you call it, is it free of charge and can you work my IT Band a bit. he kind of was like, "Um, er, yeah, we can work on your IT band." afterward, I asked the quite unfit guy if an IT band wasn't really what they were looking to work on, what was? And he said, "Well, some people hear 'massage" and they are just like "oh i have a tweak in my sholder can you work on that?" I'm thinking, dude, people are out doing a freaking half ironman in africa heat and you're going to turn them away from an empty massage table because you don't want to work on a shoulder tweak?
2010-09-14 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3098170

New user
Spring, Texas
The finish line didn't throw me off because I had studied the race map and had prepared myself for it.

But I was surprised that there wasn't a timing mat at the far end of the dam. It kind of gives you a nice bump when you hear that beep go off when you cross it. I mean it's not confetti and balloons or anything, but something at the halfway point for all those people struggling would have been nice, especially after that cruel hill at the end of the damn dam.

I didn't even see the porta john. Would've been nice to have that marked on the race map.
2010-09-14 6:52 PM

User image

New user

Austin
Was there a race photographer there? Just wondering, I don't recall seeing any...

2010-09-15 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3098778

New user
Spring, Texas
I don't recall seeing anyone actually taking pictures, but there was a little card in our swag bag for pictures. I don't have it with me though. I'll post a link tomorrow.
2010-09-15 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3098778

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
sqpinks - 2010-09-14 6:52 PM

Was there a race photographer there? Just wondering, I don't recall seeing any...

I never saw them and they only got one terrible picture of me. Looking through, they didn't get many pictures at all. Here's the link.
2010-09-15 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3099462

New user
Spring, Texas
Actaully it seems like they got quite a bit, but many are "unidentified". They only got the first two swim waves, though.
2010-09-15 4:48 PM

User image

Texas
Did the race, had a great time
2010-09-16 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

erin116 - 2010-09-14 1:21 PM However, my biggest beef was there was no real med tent at the end. When I asked for an IV post-race they told me they could put me in an ambulance and send me to the hospital, otherwise I should just get back in the lake to cool off. I always get an IV post-race for recovery. Nevermind that it was 104 with the heat index and there was no shade on the run course, IVs should have been mandatory!

IV after a race,...? Sounds great but I have never seen that before.  I think your expectations might be a little high for a smaller HIM.

2010-09-16 2:49 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn here, and I do not mean to offend anyone, but isn't the med tent supposed to be for those who have a medical issue that needs attention, rather than a free "recovery boost" in the form of an IV? 

I only ask because I found it a little surprising that there are athletes who intentionally seek out the med tent for an IV for recovery purposes, and I wonder if this could potentially (although unintentionally) take medical personnel away from an athlete who is in danger and NEEDS medical attention.  Just a thought for discussion.

2010-09-16 4:06 PM

User image

New user

Austin
I can relate and agree to that. Med tents should be for people in real medical need. I definitely felt a little like passing out at the end of the race, but nothing some shade and electrolyte drink didn't fix.

I realized most of my comments were complaints, but then again I think with most bigger races we get spoiled with things like ample porta potties, ample bike mechanics, plenty of spectators, and aid station food lots of food options. All in all I'm still glad I did this race. Even if it was 104 degree index and I was quite miserable on the run, at least we finished right?

Would I do this race again? probably not, would I recommend it? I think I would. It was a mental and physical challenge for me. I used this as practice for IMAZ which I think was good since like IMAZ there were multiple bike loops...plus I hear the run almost feels like you are in nowhere land sometimes..so I got a taste of that.

It was a decent race, at a reasonable price. So I'm happy with it. I will say one thing..I sincerely hope Ironman Texas won't be the same conditions as Prairieman. Man it was way too HOT...
2010-09-16 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3102916

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plano,TX
sqpink, great comments. This is not an Ironman branded race. It is not ran or published to be like and/or give you everything on Ironman race does. It also doesn't take as much money from you as an Ironman race.

This type of race may not be for everyone, but that doesn't mean it is a bad race, simply different.
2010-09-16 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3102253

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
trey800hj - 2010-09-16 11:57 AM

erin116 - 2010-09-14 1:21 PM However, my biggest beef was there was no real med tent at the end. When I asked for an IV post-race they told me they could put me in an ambulance and send me to the hospital, otherwise I should just get back in the lake to cool off. I always get an IV post-race for recovery. Nevermind that it was 104 with the heat index and there was no shade on the run course, IVs should have been mandatory!

IV after a race,...? Sounds great but I have never seen that before.  I think your expectations might be a little high for a smaller HIM.

I guess every one I've done so far has had a big med tent. Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments, but I overheated severely during this race and really felt like an IV would have helped, especially before my 4 hour drive home. With the longer races, especially in the heat, dehydration is a real issue and I was shocked they weren't prepared for it. I watched a girl in front of me all but pass out from it (she had fallen right as the golf cart got to her and they caught her, the ambulance got there as I was running up to her). It seems like with the heat out there it is almost a liability not to have something outside of Gatorade and a lake available for athletes post-race.
2010-09-17 11:22 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

No offense taken at all Erin.  It was just an interesting viewpoint I had not heard before. 

2010-09-24 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
I thought the race was pretty good. It was the first half ironman I had ever done that didnt provide more than just pretzels on the run course though. I would have brought more gels and such for the run if I had known they werent going to have any. I think the races at Buffalo Springs Lake have got me a little spoiled.

I'm not saying who is right and who is wrong on the IV tent thing, but it was also the first half ironman that I have seen where IV's were not provided in the med tent too. I've never gotten an IV post race, but I definitely dont see anything wrong with doing that.

All that said, I really enjoyed the Prarieman......minus the heat.
2010-09-25 2:53 AM

User image

Plano, Tx
erin116 - 2010-09-14 1:21 PM I have to agree with most of this. There was one port-o-john on the run course, right where you turned to get on the dam. But, because there was only one there was a long line both times I passed it! I found both the bike and run route to be very confusing. Random out-and-backs to make the distance. No timing mat at any of the run turn-arounds so it would be very easy to cheat. Also frustrating because you don't get a split at the mid-point. Plenty of aid stations on the run course with lots of ice, but nothing else except Gatorade, water and pretzels. Gus and Endurolytes especially would have been nice. Lots of people were cramping on the course, I think having Endurolytes at the aid station would have been beneficial. Also, the finish line set-up was cruel. You turn a corner and see the finish line and think you are done. Right before you get there they make you turn and go another half mile or so, I thought that was just miserable. I had already picked up the pace thinking I was done so to run around the park again did not make me happy. However, my biggest beef was there was no real med tent at the end. When I asked for an IV post-race they told me they could put me in an ambulance and send me to the hospital, otherwise I should just get back in the lake to cool off. I always get an IV post-race for recovery. Nevermind that it was 104 with the heat index and there was no shade on the run course, IVs should have been mandatory!

Are you serious about the IV?!?

If you're to the point of needing an IV at every race you should seriously reconsider your hydration/nutrition plan.

Having done four IMs and 10+ half IMs, I've never once needed an IV.

Try some salt and water
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prairie Man Review: Pros and Cons Rss Feed