Revolution3
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 53m 29s
Overall Rank = 184/385
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 31/62
Pre-race routine:

Rev 3 was my 5th voyage into the world of Ironman. To say this was a strange trip was an understatement. I had a great off season. Got a new Kestral my first Tri Bike, discoveried First Endurance Nutrional Products and UltraGen and EFS, and had a great winter on my Computrainer and was raring to go this season. All pumped up and ready to go, then on my first race on my new bike (Rev3 Knoxville), I wrecked and sent my season into a funk. I finished that race and then came back 30 days later and survived the Revolution at Quazzy in June (Oly Sat and HIM Sun) but it was a struggle and I came out of it and just lost my desire to train. Not a good thing with a Iron Distance race coming in Sept.

Then my wife saved my season my forcing me to take 2 weeks off of training while we were on vacation. Best thing that ever happened to me (Except for the face plant I got body surfing and the gash under my left eye they superglued shut). But when I got back about 8 weeks from race day I was actuall recharged. My body had healed and I was refreshed and felt ready to make that final push and had a great August. Over 600 miles on the bike and feeling good.

So after a very nervous taper, and for the first time ever goinginto a race I had no idea if I had the race in me or not. I could PR or I could blow up, I had no clue. So I threw my expectations out the window and pledged to just enjoy the day and deal with whatever may come.

Then my last week, work jumped into the way. I had a big report which became a crisis. I was staled to leave on Thursday as well as pack and tune up my car on Thursday. Well that got scrapped as I had to come in an polish the friggin cannonball so more and then still had to bring the car in Friday morning, so I didn't get on the road until noon on Friday and make it to Cedar Point until late Friday Night so no Trakkers team activities. But I got up and met my teamates at the practice swim which was right out the backdoor from my hotel room at the Breakers. Then i hung out at the Trakker tent and got 30 min with Robert from First Endurance. Then I finally pack my transistion bags and brought my bike to transition hit the athletes meeting had a Turkey sandwich and a pizza stick and then went to bed during the Mich- ND game right in the 3rd quarter. Got up at 9:30, mixed up my bottles of EFS and UltraGen and went back to bed.

Got up at 4:30, took a shower, put on some sunscreen and then headed over to transition with my special needs bags. Loaded up my bike, dropped off my stuff, got my tires pumped up, then went into a changing tent and put on my wetsuit and then hung out until 6:30. Hit the bathroom and then walked over to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Walked over to the swim start which really felt ominious. Then sat down and waited as the start was pushed back about 10 min for the pros to start at 7:00. Watch them go off, then the women pros at 7:03 then we came across the line and waited for 7:15 and the horn. My stomach felt rotten.
Swim
  • 1h 22m 16s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really didn't like where I was at the start but everyone had to go under the arc and timing mat and I ended up middle middle of the pack. But the start was a long shallow shore line so a nice long wade out a good ways which helped spread things out a bit. Got going and found a good rhythm and for the most part space. While I felt bad prior to the start I felt good once I was underway. My navigation was surprisingly spot on the entire first loop except for one small jog to the inside on the way back. The turn buoys were a bit rough as everyone came back together and heading back to shore I got kicked in the throat. Then I got boxed in, but I flipped over someones legs (WaterPolo move) and got the free water and got back to my good rhthym. Coming to shore watched everyone stand up and got up and waded to shore. Slow jog down the beach then wading back out again for the second loop. That swim again was nice and smooth and relaxed. It did get more choppy particular in the parrallel to the shore leg. But again i stayed on target and cruised thru the second loop. Again the wade to shore was a bit long and finally I got to shore and started jogging. Good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Didn't like putting myself right in the middle at the start but I worked my way to the inside to clean water. Took the buoys a bit sharp which messed up my rhythm, but it was a good steady swim.
Transition 1
  • 06m 51s
Comments:

OK transition, nothing spectacular, took my time gooped up my feet with Tri Slide and then went to my bike put on my ring and glasses and then fought with my arm warmers (put one on inside out).

Nothing. Wasn't in a hurry.
Bike
  • 6h 14m 12s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out and kept it in a fairly light gear and then started moving forward. About 5 miles in just towards the end of the causeway I hit a rough patch of road and my aero bars rotatated and later I noticed my whole headset had rotated so I was right of center. I pulled my aerobar back up but could exactly tweek it in. That would come back to get my later.

Outboand section, felt good and under control. Got into a nice smooth rhythm and rode a gear that felt easy. Was passing a number of folks. Worried about over doing it but didn't think that section did me in.

First loop: Got out to the first loop did the mini out and back and then loved the long flat smooth leg outbound. Really started riding well and felt great, Probably pushed it a bit too hard. On the loop back I started to get beat up by the wind but my neck and back started to really bother me. The roads didn't help and at about 45 miles Byorn Anderson lapped my and he would be the only pro to do so even stopping for Special needs. Drank 2 bottles of EFS and 2 flasks of EFS liquid shot before Special needs. Tried to drink every 15 min and take a shot every 10 miles.

Loop 2: My back continued to bother me and to make matters worse it seemed like the wind had picked up but it might have been because I was spending less time in the aero position. I felt good on the outbound segment and got pretty well isolated. Mentally I faded out during this section and started slowing down. Once we turned back into the wind, I was starting to struggle as I really spent most of the 2nd half of the loop sitting up as my back was in agony. This caused me to get blown around alot more which in turn caused my to not drink as much as I should and started to just make thing worse.

Return leg: I pretty much stayed sitting up and started getting passed but alot more people. That was actually a bit of a break mentally to see I wasn't out their alone, but seeing that 47 year old in her Granny gear easing past my sort of ticked me off. The worse stretchs of road were at the end near the last aid station and the causeway and that ride up the causeway just seemed to last forever. Two of my teammates who I passed on the way out on the causeway passed me back on the causeway on the way back. I was just hating life, my neck hurt, my back hurt, but my legs felt Ok. But I felt thirsty and knew I hadn't been drinking enough. I was never so glad to see T2 and get off the bike as my butt started really hurting as well.

Better pacing, Work on my long rides with the Tri bike and fix the headset/aerobars which had to contribute to my back pain and neck pain. But still ended up logging my 2nd fastest bike leg, but I really dropped off that last segment. And I got dehydrated. The best nutrition does help if it sits in your bottle holder.
Transition 2
  • 10m 39s
Comments:

THey had someone take my bike, so I hobbled around to get my T2 bag and then headed into the tent and flopped down. I really took my time, changed socks, gooped up my feet with Tri-Slide. Sprayed on sunscreen and then drank a bottle of Ultra Gen. Tasted different and was a good change of pace. Hit the porta potties on the way out but my uniform zipper broke when trying to zip up, so ended up running with the top open the enitre marathon and no sunscreen for that area.

Nothing needed to take my time and try and gather myself. No have a wardrobe malfunction would have been nice.
Run
  • 4h 59m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started off very rough. I was really hating life as I was hot, dehydrated and hurting. I shuffled my way to the first aid station and then started fixing the problem. Started drinking water, sports drink (nasty), cola, and fruit. Walked each aid station then shuffled to the next one. At the 2nd mile there was a dude who went down and the had to call the ambulence (seemed like Heat stress, but he was getting the help he needed (great reaction by the race staff). That was that moment, I doubted whether I could go on, seeing your fellow athlete in trouble and knowing I wasn't in too much better of a place. But right at that moment you have to look deep inside and ask that question. DO I HAVE What It Takes to See This Race Through to The END. I didn't know but I was going to try. So I said a prayer once I was sure he was in good hands and I answered my demons and said aloud to noone "Yes I can" and kept shuffling down the road.

Found that the grapes were the best thing they had for me and I got them at about 23 of the aid stations. About 4 miles in my legs started to feel better and I evolved from a shuffle to an actual stride. Survived the first 10K then I started actually running a bit smoother and felt fairly good. SO it was aid station to aid station, water, cola, grapes, walk until I got it all down and then got rolling again. Stopped for a potty break at mile 7 and mile 20 which I took as a good sign that I had address my dehydration issues. The last half was actually a lot of fun. Watch the folks fighting their way though going the other directions, thanking the Police who were out there all day as well, striking up a rapore with the aid station folks and some of the spectators, I went from the depths of despair to a psuedo runner's high 130 miles into the race. Not that I could really crank up the pace but i ran a negative split for the marathon and actually enjoyed that final loop. The crowd, people on their porches, or just hanging out waiting for their dad or brother, etc were awesome. As the sun started to set I realized hey I was at mile 23 at it was still light out. I worked to the second to last aid station and my friend at the aid station knew what I wanted without having to ask (grapes) and sheered me on. Coming across the entrance road over the water, I was treated to a vry nice sunset and got a ton of hong and yells and cheers from the cars leaving the park. I was really starting to turn out great. Got into the parking lot and passed a guy in my age group who encourgaged me to finish strong and I was feeling pretty good knowning I was under a mile to go. I felt bad for the 3-4 people heading out in the other direction. It must be tough to have to see the joy and relief of those athletes who were almost done, knowing you had another full loop to go. I passed 2 more people as we made it back to the entrance to the park at mile 26. Then it was a cruise thru Cedar point to towards the big screens which really lit the place up. Hit the mat and boom my picture is up on the screen and I was pumped. Off went my hat up went my hands and my legs were on auto poilet cruising to the finish. Whit called me home and I got to enjoy my moment in the spotlight and hit the tape. Momma Bear was there at the finish with some of my great Trakkers teammates cheering my home. What a feeling.

Not much. Great job of gathering myself back up and recovering from my nutritional issues on the bike. Faced my demons and actually met goal number 1 enjoy the experience and have fun on the second loop.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and shirt, grabbed a water and muscle milk and sat down with my space blanket. Had a real hard time getting up but waddled over and got some hot food. Then I headed back to transition and got my stuff and walked my bike back thru the park to the hotel. Ran into Momma Bear and gave back my Trakkers device and then headed back to the Hotel. Turned on the TV and called Home and reported that I had made it. The time at the finish showed 13:05:59 so I had thought I missed my PR by 2 min (which was fine by me) but later I found out that was based off the Pro start time not the AG (and they didn't reset it) so I ended up in 12:54:21 a new PR by 9:38, despite not hitting a PR for any individual leg. I was very stoked to find that out on Tuesday after getting home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor bike fit and poor nutrition plan execution. Let issues that me out of my plan.

Event comments:

Great race. Any first time race has its bugs but this group did a fanastic job. Dealing with possibly having to shift the swim course, to bouys being blow accross Lake Erie to Canada, to chip sealing the roads, this crew dealt with alot of adversity and put out a great product. Having a race a Cedar Point was a thing of genius. The organization went way ou of their way to make it a great experience including the announcer acually acting as a bike mechanic and changing out a racers wheel which had been damaged in T1, so they could finish their first IM. Grat showing from the pros to.

Finally (As a huge NASCAR fan I've always wanted to do this) I need thanks my sponsors. Team Trakkers for the great support and the Trakkers devices, Kestral Bikes for my awesome Talon Tri SL, Sauconey for making the best and most comfortable pair of running shoes I run in for a marathon, to SBR for Tri-Slide and Foggle which allowed me to see and did a great job keeping the blisters away, to First Endurance for the awesome nutrional products UltraGen and EFS, and All3Sports.com for the last minute flat kit and race belt. Triathlon is such a cool sport where a MOP guy like me can actually be a part of a team like Trakkers and be able to brag that I am a sponsored athlete. Congrats to Kathleen Calkens one of our AG teammates who turned pro at this race and then finished third in the pro womens race.

Very cool race and I highly reccommend it.

Last updated: 2010-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:22:16 | 4224 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/62
Overall: 153/385
Performance: Good
Loop 1 40:58 Loop 2 42:08
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless
Course: Two 1.2 mile rectangles with a short beach run in between to the HIM swim start. (They didn't start until 8:30 so no problems.)
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:14:12 | 112 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/62
Overall: 144/385
Performance: Average
First 20.50 miles 1:01:55 (19.86 mph) Next 37.30 miles 1:58:01 (18.96 mph) Final 54.20 miles 3:14:15 (16.74 mph)
Wind: Strong
Course: Rolling hills with an out and back and a 37 miles loop we did twice. Road were a bit rough particularly on the Causeway and on a bunchof recently chip sealled roads (but the did a really great job smoothing that out as much as humanly possible). Steady 17-20mph wind which really seemed to pick up on the second loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 10:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:59:31 | 26.2 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/62
Overall: 151/385
Performance: Good
Segment 1 3.30 miles 39:24 (11:56) Segment 2 6.00 miles 1:13:08 (12:11) Segment 3 7.10 miles 1:14:58 (10:34) Segment 4 6.20 miles 1:10:38 (11:24) Segment 5 3.60 miles 41:21 (11:29)
Course: Two loops over the entrance road and then zig zagging thru Sandusky. Some parks and along the waterfront and back thru town and back over to the park. 1 small hill done both ways each loop. Other than that is was flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-15 12:35 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Revolution3 Full Distance

2010-09-15 6:35 AM
in reply to: #3099158

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Full Distance
excellent work! Way to push through the tough times and finish strong! Inspiring
2010-09-15 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Awesome race report! Great job, and congrats on the PR and on breaking 3 hours! Sounds like you had a terrific marathon. Keep up the great work!
2010-09-16 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Great job Andy!  Way to hang in there not only for the race, but the season as well.  Nice to be rewarded with a PR for your efforts.
2010-09-18 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Went back to the REV3 site to check to see how one of my friends did and found they adjusted the swim times so my swim time dropped by about a minute and therefore my overall time was now 12:53:29 so now I have a 10:30 PR. MY watch died during the race so I have been relying on the race timing, so this is the second time my time has gotten faster. Guess I can't get too upset about that.

So I've gone from 13:05:59 (the time on the clock at the finish line) to 12:54:21 to 12:53:29 and from missing a PR by 2 min to getting on by 10:30.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Full Distance Rss Feed