Boulder Peak
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m 41s
Overall Rank = 955/1408
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 114/139
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4:45am - did my normal morning routine, had a banana & yogurt & OJ for breakfast - Cliff bar on the way to the race. Saw Brett, Stacey and Ovetta - swam with Ovetta a little bit for warmup.
Event warmup:

Swam about 400 yards before my wave took off.
Swim
  • 35m 32s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim is my weakest area, and I'm well aware of it. However, being 959th out of 1408 makes me feel damn proud. It's just been this year that I've got my endurance up enough to do this distance (in fact, just the past 5 months!)

I had problems at 5430 Sprint in the same Res last month, and was determined NOT to have those same problems. Went out at the back of my wave, and immediately started passing people. I found this odd, as I went out rather easy. I kept a solid rhythm to the first buoy. Once I rounded that, the pack closed in a little. I grabbed a few good pulls off some people passing me, and this really helped pull me to the second turn. The wave behind me started to catch us about this point, so I just started tagging along behind faster people until the third turn. I was still focusing on keeping a slow, steady rhythm.

Rounding the third buoy, left a couple hundred meters to shore. At this point, I picked up my pace a little, and started to do bring it home. I was VERY happy with my time. COgirl hollered at me, and I dropped some of my stuff, so I stopped to pick it up - and then promptly thought why? I still had my suit, goggles and timing chip, what else did I need?
What would you do differently?:

I've just got to work on my speed.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

I had met luv2ride in the TA before the race, and neglected to spot where my bike was. I lost time on each transition trying to find my spot.

I did get help from a relay team to get my wetsuit off.

Look for my freaking spot as I leave the TA, so I can go straight to my stuff! I normally do this, but forgot all about it this morning.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 27s
  • 26 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Old Stage Hill has a 15% grade. I was humbled, and had to push the bike about 200 yards or so up the friggin' hill. A bunch of emergency vehicles were tearing up the road - I was hoping it was for a grass fire, as I didn't want anyone to have gotten hurt (more on this later). At the top of OSH, they had WARM Gatorade at the first station. Gatorade is NOT my favorite, and warm Gatorade just plain sucks. Ditched the bottle, ate a gel pack, and had some water.

Screaming down the back of the hill, I passed a few people who were NOT staying to the right. As I approached the right turn going to Lefthand Canyon, I found the emergency vehicles. Someone went under a car (no word on injury/death, but it didn't sound good). Had to slow WAY down to get around the crash site. Picked up speed, and held a fair average the rest of the way in. Hit one pothole, hard, and it really shook up my gonads. Gained about two higher octaves to my singing temporarily. Had another gel before hitting the Diagonal Highway.

I did not save much for the run - the bike is definitely my strongest (even after having to walk up part of the Hill). But I went a little too hard today, and should have held back. In my mind, an Olympic tri is still a 'short course' - but I suppose during my second year, I should consider this a middle distance, and race accordingly.

I think a triple chainring would have helped taking Old Stage Hill. I need to do more hill repeats. I *may* get another bike at some point (I'd like to do some crits, and I can't use my tri-bike for those). I should've held back a little more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Once again, I couldn't find my TA. I had neglected to spot my rack from the bike finish, and this proved a bit costly.

Spot my racks from the swim and bike finish BEFORE leaving the TA to go warm up.
Run
  • 1h 05m 39s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Spotted Brett, Stacey, Erik and Ovetta along the route. Tried to catch Stacey, but the heat and my lack of energy failed me. Of course, I really didn't taper this week, either, and I think that bit me in the ass, too.

No excuses though. At least I *did* it.

There is one, tall, lanky fellow, who beat me in several 5K events last year. Don't know his name, but I saw him at packet pickup (I know his name now, though). I told Macdaddy that I wanted to beat that guy, and I did, by over 10 minutes. I'm loving life right now!

Save some energy for the run. I raced last weekend, hard, and didn't taper well this week. My long runs have been fairly hit-or-miss the past several weeks. I will be re-evaluating my overall plan before the end of this season, to prepare better for next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Brett, drank much water and Gatorade, grabbed some pretzels and 1/2 banana. Went into the water to cool down somewhat, then went back to find everyone. I didn't want to wait for a massage, but I sure could've used one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See various comments above.

Event comments:

I rate this course TOO HARD, for my current abilities. I need more hill work, and should have made some slightly different choices during the race.

The race director mentioned, during packet pickup, to be very careful on the downhill portion of Old Stage Hill road. A couple of people didn't pay attention apparently. I later found out that two people had gone down at that right-turn, and at least one reportedly went under a car. The rumor mill had it that one died; no status on the other - no official word on the news (yet). They also had to stop the swim at one point, due to another emergency (I had already started, and was not subjected to the stoppage - no info on this either.)

The race itself is grueling, and was a distinct humbling experience for me. It was also my SECOND Oly ever. After last week's heat, I actually thought that 3:30:00 would be my likely time, though I was hoping to finish in under 3:15:00 - as it was, I'll take that 3:11:41! I ballparked my estimated times, and actually beat my bike time, which allowed me to go slow on the run. I'll probably do this again next year, but I'll definitely make a few changes before I do - namely, the bike stuff...

Last updated: 2005-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:32 | 1500 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/139
Overall: 959/1408
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Full
Course: Pretty much an out and back course, with three left turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:27 | 26 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Overall: 722/1408
Performance: Average
Old Stage Hill sucks.
Wind: None
Course: One loop. Old Stage Hill has a 15% grade. I like this route, and will be incorporating this into a more disciplined training routine soon.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:05:39 | 06.2 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 1101/1408
Performance: Below average
Out and back along the dams. VERY exposed course.
Course: The early a.m. clouds had burnt off by this time, and I just did not have enough energy left after the bike. I was humbled, again, on the run, and walked a lot more than I had intended (thankfully, this was not an A race for me!) A few, small rollers, but the course is VERY open - no shade at all. I was fortunate enough to have cool water on the run, and had another gel. Unfortunately, the last mile was almost run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes...
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-24 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: Boulder Peak Tri

2005-07-25 5:51 AM
in reply to: #206021

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Tri
Great job, the run must have been so hot. From a pacing perspective Olympic distance has proved to be tricky and you handled it well.

2005-07-25 9:03 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race!  Sorry I didn't meet you on Saturday or Sunday!  Congrats on the time goal!
2005-07-25 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Joe,

You had an awesome swim man. I just couldn't catch up!

Awesome on making your time. I'm so impressed. Yeah the bike is inticing to go fast on but hey no one wins on the bike right? Now I know what they mean. Awesome race and it was sooo great to see you! O.

2005-07-25 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Great job Joe - looks like you had an awesome swim, and smoked the bike course like usual.  Congrats on finishing a tough race!  Sounds like you learned some valuable lessons too, which means you'll REALLY smoke this one next year
2005-07-25 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Good job out there Joe! Nice to see you were able to get through the swim with no problems. I couldn't imagine trying to push a double up OSH - not with my legs!

2005-07-25 10:07 AM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Damn, Joe. Great time! You may have been humbled by the bike, but you still had an impressive time when it was all over. Congrats!
2005-07-25 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Great Job JOE!!! Now I know why you're HOSS.

Whizzzzzzzzzzzz

2005-07-25 11:41 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

rock on Joe!  Good for you for beating your nemesis!    That's the best. 

Great job!

2005-07-25 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Great race Joe - despite the humbling. It was a tough course and the run was so hot and brutal. I was praying for one cloud. Just one! I think we both learned something out there that will help us for next year.
2005-07-25 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

So, did you bring your damn flat kit this time?!?!  WE have to work on your bike maintenance.  Especially when it's hard to stop for the emergency vehicles!!! (didn't happen to see you mention that above - but thought I'd better put it here so you'll remember it next time!)

Great race - as defined by beating your heretofore unknown nemesis!

2005-07-25 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
EEEEE! What a race!  Feel proud you finished it...I guess I'll give you a pass on the Canyon ride this morning...the one that I didn't get to do.. (Damn CDOT B@stards!)  Great job!

I was considering this race for next year...guess I'll reconsider...maybe the year after!

Melanie
2005-07-25 4:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-07-25 4:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-07-25 5:13 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario

Great work JR!! You are fast!! And you smoked your nemesis  

Glad all of the BTers are OK...jeepers what a lot of incidents in one race!

So.....was Quackers present this time????

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Tri Rss Feed