United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 38m 18s
Overall Rank = 890/2550
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 39/157
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, gathered prepacked gear, small breakfast of bagals and cream cheese, coffee and water. My brother (veteran of 2 IMWI) picked my wife and me up to drive to shuttle, boarded at about 5am. Once at site, I loaded bike with 1 water bottle, inflated tires, and found a quiet place to relax, stretch and take it all in. No nervousness at all.
Event warmup:

Easy stretching
Swim
  • 1h 17m 1s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Mass starts are exciting all right but are not designed for the average age grouper to really excel. Half the first lap was just battling with others. I positioned myself initially well behind the ski ramp but found I was pushed left and forward as more swimmers entered the water-not where I wanted to be. The second lap was much better and I was able to find a good rythm.
What would you do differently?:

Either improve swimming to the point I feel comfortable at the front of the pack (not likely) or make sure to stay wide on the course
Transition 1
  • 09m 36s
Comments:

After the long run to the changing area, I immediately turned on my forerunner 350, put on the chest strap and ditched my dry suit, cap and goggles. On the way out hit the porta-jphn while carrying my cycling shoes to bike, ran in socks and of course had sand and crud accumulate within socks, didn't seem to be an issue though. Exiting T1 presented no difficulty.

Just move more quickly, I thought I already was!
Bike
  • 6h 06m 41s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out with a very easy effort to work into the course and transition muscles. The first loop was at an easy to moderate effort, second loop was a moderate effort. Made sure to keep HR in the 2-3 range on hills though a couple of times it red lined. Flats were usually in the 1-2 range. It was fantastic to see "Tour Style" fans on the hills! Cassette choice of 12-26 was perfect for me on this course at my current conditioning. Finished one water bottle every aid station, Powerbar gels about every 20 min, some bananas, one Powerbar at about hour 1.5 and 1 at about hour 4. Some adductor cramping at about mile 95 but was able to work it out. I was suprised at how crowded it was the first part of the course, overheard someone remark about how different it seemed from previous years.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

Very smooth transition, bike handler was great and volunteer in changing room also super!

Nothing but continue more quickly
Run
  • 5h 00m 49s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

In a way a very disappointing run as my goal was 4 hours. On the flip side of the coin I knew I wasn't ready for 26 miles. Mid July I developed piriformis issues that persisted until race day. I didn't run for about 6 weeks and then was only able to do 4-7 miles/workout in the 2-3 weeks prior to racing. Strangely enough, it wasn't piriformis issues race day, it was simply conditioning. I experinced hamstring and calf cramping and walked quite a bit especially the second loop. And same as at CDA '09, slight nausea issues were a problem. Not sure why. I took in plenty of water/powergel, chips/pretzes, some coke. (peed 3x over the dayincluding once during the run)Nonetheless, I enjoyed every step and was satified that I finished. And once again the fans were tops! Saw my brother and our wives multiple times during both bike and run!

Use more caution with training plan. Too many speed workouts per week in both bike and run combined with too quick increase in mileage. (maybe good plan for someone half my age?!) Also consult coach and/or nutritionist regarding reasons for nausea.
Post race
Warm down:

Are you kidding? Just get me a chair!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overuse injury, nutrition(?) both during run.

Event comments:

Even with my injury I'm psyched about being registered for 2011 and adjust both training and nutrition plans to meet my goals!

Last updated: 2010-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:01 | 4224 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 47/157
Overall: 984/2550
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Volt
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:06:41 | 112 miles | 18.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/157
Overall: 779/2550
Avg HR 101
Wind: Little
Course: Course was fantastic! Loved the hills both up and down, vistas, and good roads. I thought the bike path was hokey for a major race though I uderstand the probable reasons for including it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:00:49 | 26.2 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 52/157
Overall: 1165/2550
Performance: Below average
ave hr 104
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-16 9:30 AM

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2010-09-17 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3101794

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Nice race!  Like you, I battled injury the last month of training.  Looks like we get to take another crack at this next year!
2010-09-17 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

You had a great race despite battling some injuries...CONGRATS!

2010-09-17 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Similar thing happened to me on the run -- no running for the 5 weeks leading up to the race led to sore/cramping calves on the second half of the marathon.   Congrats on fighting through to finish!  

2010-09-17 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois
Way to tough it out...Congrats!! Great Report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed