United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 51s
Overall Rank = 115/296
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/35
Pre-race routine:

Just the usual--get dressed, eat a Clif bar and get packed up. Our campsite was only about 3 miles from the race site, so we didn't have far to go. Once we got there, things were a little interesting. A bad thunderstorm blew through between about 3:00 am and 5:00 am. We kind of wondered how that might affect the race, but we figured we'd just drive there and find out. The storm prevented the boats from getting out to mark the swim course as early as they planned, so the race was delayed about 90 minutes. For some reason I never quite heard, the transition areas was also still closed when we arrived (6:15 am), so there was a loooong line of racers waiting for the T area to open up. We finally did get in and set up, and then had about two hours to kill before the race started.
Event warmup:

We had a lot of time to wait, so we did a lot of walking around and chatting with other racers. Mark (my husband) actually went to the car to try to take a nap since we slept so poorly the night before (storm+tent=little sleep), but he wasn't really able to rest much. I did see someone else from the MN Tri Club who made the 6 hour drive to this race, so we talked with him for quite a while. Finally about a half hour before the race start, I got my wetsuit on and got in the water to warm up. I could have gone for a ride or run, but things were a little chaotic, and we weren't quite sure when the prerace meeting would be, so we just hung around.
Swim
  • 08m
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think the swim went well. I was able to draft a bit on the way out from shore, but then lost that person and was on my own. There were definitely some waves from the residual storm winds, but not terrible. 2/35 for my wave and 17/296 overall.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know; I thought I was going faster than this, but oh well. I'm hoping the waves had something to do with the time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

This T was awful. I COULD NOT get that wetsuit off! It got stuck on my timing chip and I spent what seemed like forever getting it free! UGH. And to top it off, they had volunteers there asking people if they needed help pulling off their suits as we came out of the water. I said "No, thanks" and ran to my rack. Stupid me!! I was wishing for one of those volunteers as I struggled with the damn thing.

Say yes to the help. I don't know why I didn't?
Bike
  • 39m 18s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 17.56 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a very nice ride! I went almost the whole way on the big chain ring since it was so flat. I have got to figure out how much to drink on the bike because I can never get it right. I drank too much this time again.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

I still need to work on this...

Figure out my Yankz laces so I can actually use them.
Run
  • 31m 49s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was hard. It was getting hot due to the delayed race start and I was feeling every bit of it. My legs felt like lead until at least the turn around.

Do more bricks!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a ton of water and ate some watermelon. Found my husband and watched more racers come in. We enjoyed the awesome post-race food (sandwiches, roasted corn dipped in butter, fresh fruit smoothies, tons of fruit, cookies) but then had to fetch our bikes and head out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep for two nights (camping; we're not great at it), the heat.

Event comments:

This was the inagural race for this event, but it was obvious that the race committe put a TON of time into planning, and that they know what the little things are that make a good race. There were all sorts of cool things in this race:

- Awesome swag (nice t-shirt, water bottle, Gu, coffee, post-its, sunscreen, organic body wash, magnets)
- A color event guide available for download before the race which gave course maps and elevations, spectator information, detailed race schedule, parking info, etc.
- Volunteers to pull off wetsuits (and do everything else; there were tons of them)
- The water wall sprinkler and carpeted ramp coming out of the swim
- Water bottle exchange on the bike
- Medical tents on both bike and run courses (awfully nice to have available, just in case)
- Great post race food
- Finisher medals
- Those portable rent-a-sink stations to go outside the port-a-potties
- Packet pick up all day the day before the race, with a complimentary bike check (he spent a good ten minutes on my bike, and trued my wheel and adjusted the brakes) and a course presentation every two hours

I highly recommend this race! It was behind schedule, but they cannot control the weather, and handled it pretty well. The race over all is VERY well organized.

(Be warned, the long course is hard! There is a bluff that long course folks had to bike up, and then run up, and the portion on the run is particularly steep. We were very glad to be doing the flat short course. :))

Last updated: 2005-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:00 | 440 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/35
Overall: 17/296
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Course was three sides of a rectangle (with the beach forming the fourth side); straight out, then parallel to the beach, then back in. Course was very well marked with giant orange buoys that were impossible to miss. The lake has some algae sludge in the shallows, so it was nice that they had a local sprinkler company set up a water wall to run through at the swim exit to wash it off! The swim exit ramp was also covered with all weather carpeting. Very nice.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:18 | 11.5 miles | 17.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/35
Overall: 0/296
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on nearly totally flat roads. This is seriously one of the flattest courses I've ever seen. There was some wind on the way out, and then a slight tailwind on the way back. Water bottle exchange at the turnaround. Nice!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:49 | 03.1 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/35
Overall: 0/296
Performance: Average
Course: About 1.5 miles out and back. Again, nearly totally flat. But hot. Very hot. Long straight stretch of asphalt with not a bit of shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-25 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Door County Triathlon

2005-07-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: #206281

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: Door County Triathlon
Well done Kelly;
I see you are working a sleep depravation plan ready for Nevis...

Ian
2005-07-25 1:37 PM

User image

Seattle
congrats on another tri under the belt! Better luck with the wet suit next time!!!
2005-07-28 8:39 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
awesome race. lots of swag, eh? hmmmm. maybe one for next year? glad you survived the camping trip. i have loads of tips for ya if you're interested (mainly, if there is a walk in or cart in site until 1 mile, camp in one of those instead...it will be much quieter!). you did great on the swim (what else is new?), were super speedy on the bike, and still went fast on the run despite the tired legs!
2005-07-28 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
GREAT race, even with the wetsuit trauma. I so wanted to do that tri, it is SO beautiful up there. Your rept makes me wish I had sucked it up. Next year!
2005-07-28 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
I was there, had a great time too. My timing chip malfunctioned, so I didn't get a time. Just as well, it was probably embarassing.

I cannot wait for this one next year. If I am in better shape, I'm doing the Bluff

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon Rss Feed