General Discussion Race Reports! » US Air Force Marathon/Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

US Air Force Marathon/Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
WPAFB, Ohio
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 47s
Overall Rank = 3326/4302
Age Group = Female 30-34
Age Group Rank = 248/329
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel, drank a lot of water during my hour drive over to Dayton from Columbus.
Event warmup:

It was nearly a mile walk from where I parked to the starting line. Jogged in place a little and did some ballistic stretching. I felt pretty good so that was nice with no pre-race aches or anything.
Run
  • 2h 51m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to run the first four miles, walk mile 5, run 6, 7, 8, walk mile 9 then run the last 4.1. I was able to stick to the plan until the final 4.1 which I struggled to run the entire time because I started to form pains in my knees and foot and my HR was getting harder to manage so I walked more than I wanted too. Plus there were a few late race hills that made it even harder to stick to the plan, but it's all good. I wanted to finish under three hours and I did, so that made me happy. I utilized Powerade Shots, which I really liked and had one GU (which I didn't like the texture and don't think I'll use those again). I didn't carry water with me, so I had to utilize the hydration stops which didn't work well with the times I was walking, so that was hard, but I was still able to drink enough and I didn't feel like I was going to faint, so I must have done something right. :)
What would you do differently?:

Well, considering the farthest I have ever run at one time was four miles, I might try taking it more serious next time. I didn't train for this since the Army Ten-Miler is more important to me and I really only did this for the mental practice and to see if my body could handle it for the Ten-Miler next month. I was pleasantly surprised and if I took it more seriously, my body wouldn't have been so shocked when I was done. My knees swelled up pretty good and I didn't expect that, but they seem to be adjusting okay with ice and ibuprofen.
Post race
Warm down:

Ballistic stretching and walking around followed by static stretching. It never felt like enough stretching to feel good...still doesn't.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I didn't train exclusively for this, I'm carrying a lot of weight still. It's all good...this is just another notch on my list of things I have done and will more than likely do again.

Event comments:

I had the best time at this event. Mix jets, bombers, planes, with military people, a great route, fun stations, organized event (the baggage claim pick-up line was crazy long and slow, unfortunately) and you have the great makings of an exciting event! I hated having to walk nearly a mile to/from my car to the starting line, but not sure there would be any way around that. I heard some people had issues with parking lines, but I didn't getting in and out with a lot of ease. I was pretty happy and look forward to it next year!

Last updated: 2010-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:51:47 | 13.1 miles | 13m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 248/329
Overall: 3326/4302
Performance: Good
I worked to keep my HR in check the entire time, but it got harder to keep it in the low 160s later in the race. Early on I was doing great from 155-160.
Course: The course was great. There were several hills but not too bad. There was a mixture of trees lined roads and wide open streets and air strips that we were running on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes