"Tri-to-Win" Melanoma Foundation
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 16m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

Got to the site, felt awesome, little did I know what was in store for me.
Event warmup:

Stayed calmed, set up transition and just got ready
Swim
  • 37m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

AWESOME SWIM!!!! I felt great, found another silver cap and some good feet and just drafted. Got kicked in the face about 600 in but it was all good.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 08m 13s
Comments:

This was interesting. Got into T1, felt great and went to remove my suit and got a tad disoriented. This isn't like me to be so slow. Went to put on the arm warmers and couldn't get the stupid things on. Finally got my gloves on and I was off.

Dry off more before putting on the warmers
Bike
  • 4h 24m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 12.69 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where things went for the worst. I told myself at the start line, finish or hospital, and that was my mentality.

First real decent, I hit some loose gravel as I went to wide and went into a bank. No biggy, I had almost saved it and not crashed. Hop on and it's all down to Westernport. Get to the wall, a guy cuts in front of me and I have to dismount since I have no momentum to get up. Everything is smooth sailing up until Otto lane, where the thought of withdrawing hits me. To this point I was well on my goal pace of sub 7 finish and sub 3:30 bike leg. I stand to take the first part of the hill, left quad locks, right quad locks, I go down.....

I can't move my legs. Literally, locked straight. Nothing. At this point I'm in the road, trying to get over as people approach me and I can....not.....move......I'm close to throwing my bike. They finally stop and I walk up the hill and am handed some electrotablets by a race volunteer. I remember everyone always telling me once you cramp it's over, I didn't understand it until it happened. The next 5 hours would be hands down the most painful of my life.

Killer Miller, the legs lock again, and yet again I go down. Walk to the top. At this point I know something is very very wrong with my nutrition/fitness/something.

It was a lot hotter than expected and although I'm 3 bottles of water and one of HEED in, I can't stop cramping. Take some more electro pills, and it just gets worse. It feels like my HR is through the roof now and the sweat rolling off of me during the ride is something I had never seen before. I felt like I was going to vomit at a few points and everything fell apart.

Now, it's all about finishing, problem is any pressure on the uphills and they lock up. I go down an easy four more times, totally destroyed mentally. My race, shattered.

I finally finish and it's on to the run....err walk

Nutrition, train more, and a 12-27
Transition 2
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

I'm dying....
Run
  • 3h 02m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Walking, tried to run and I cramped.....Walked my way to a finish in under 8:30 to be considered a SM. The most lonely and depressing 3 hours of my life....without question.

It was a total haze, I can't even put into words what was going through my mind. I've never wanted to quit something so badly in my life but I knew I had to finish. No matter what happened, I just needed to finish. The miles ticked by and it was finally over.

I was eating bananas at every station, drinking water and it felt like my body was on fire. Even walking my pulse was insanely powerful, and likely way to high. I was just trying to minimize damage at this point. Luckily, I had to go the bathroom at one point so I knew I wasn't bordering on kidney failure or something insane.

Run much more in training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk to car.....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and training. If I could go back to those days where I cut ride shorts cause I got bored, or didn't run because I was "to tired" I'd kick my own _____. Many people gave me this look of "what are you thinking" when I told them this was my first HIM. I loved the race, but when I signed up because I wanted a challenge, I should have taken it seriously that it was rated the hardest tri.

Event comments:

Amazing race, just wasn't my day. I finished.....at the end of the day I can be happy with that

Last updated: 2010-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:28 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back with a little added on.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:13
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:24:46 | 56 miles | 12.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 10/
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly. Close to or over 6,000 FT of climbing, many of 6%+. Amazing course, fast descents.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:02:51 | 13.1 miles | 13m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Rolling, 2 loops, nice and shady.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-20 10:20 AM

User image

Subject: Savageman HIM

2010-09-20 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3107743

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: Savageman HIM

Derek,

Nice job on making it to the finish.

You'll be ready for it next time. Congrats.

2010-09-20 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Southport, NC
Congrats on the finish!  Killer swim time as well.
2010-09-20 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Way to tough it out.  It's definitely a tough course.
2010-09-20 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Tough day out there. Congats on finishing. Not everyone did.
2010-09-20 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Norfolk, Va
Congrats Bro.. Even though it was tough you stuck with it..

NICE WORK!!!!!!!

NEXT TIME you will SMASH IT!!!!!

2012-02-19 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran

D,

Getting ready for the race year and going back to SM reports to get some courage. Good story....man that is rough...I had some cramping in one leg on KM but to have both legs go multiple times is over the top. Great job not giving in....you are savage.

Tim

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Savageman HIM Rss Feed