United States
"Tri-to-Win" Melanoma Foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 38m 10s
Overall Rank = 342/387
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 16/20
Pre-race routine:

Race start was 8:30 AM. I woke up at 5:30 AM. I normally just have peanut butter and a bagel for an Oly or Sprint but I knew I needed a lot of energy for the day. I have no problems swimming or biking on a full stomach so ate a couple of sandwiches that I packed. I also had some granola and coffee.
Event warmup:

I have learned one thing about event warmup and that is that after losing weight, I am a wuss about cold water. I got in the water at 8:15 and got my head under to help try to get used to it.
Swim
  • 37m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I looked at last year's results and I really wanted my swim to be in the 37-38 min range. I honest thought my time was going to be 42+. I felt very slow in the beginning. My breathing felt "short" and I couldn't tell if I was just cold or the suit was constricting me. I have a wide chest/lat area so it was extremely tight there. For some reason I kept pulling left as well. It really felt as though I had to overcompensate on trying to swim to the right. I don't know exactly why that was but I felt like I added a bit to the course due to poor navigation.

I was honestly very happy to get out of the water and see that "37" on the timer.
What would you do differently?:

As I get closer to my target weight, I will settle on a suit in which I can be more comfortable with.
Also, since this was my first HIM, I didn't push it hard during the swim. I feel as though I can continue to make improvements here.
Transition 1
  • 07m 58s
Comments:

Honestly, I knew what I was about to get into and I did not rush the transition. I was deciding whether or not to use the clothing drop, as well as making sure I had all the nutrition I had planned on taking. Instead of using the clothing drop, I opted to wear two shirts figuring that it would save time in the long run.

Having done this event now, I would have all my nutrition in my cycling jersey so I could get moving. Nearly 8 min is pretty sad.
Bike
  • 4h 41m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 11.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Being a clyde, I am great at picking up speed going downhill. Having a motorcycle, I see that I do better than some in how I navigate turns. That said, I tore up the descents on this course. Wow, those were better than an amusement park ride. I suck going up steep hills. After the test ride of this course, I realized that I needed to figure out how to save some legs for the run. I tried everything I could to keep it in a granny gear and spin but Savageman doesn't care about that. These hills are steep. I felt good going up all the hard stuff in the beginning. I split two fallen riders and went straight up the center of the Westernport Wall. I made it up Killer Miller, Otto, etc. I got to the short Maynadier Ridge and sort of laughed to myself about those walking their bikes. I stood to hammer it up that hill and wham!!! I got seriously painful cramps in the teardrop portion of my quads (just above the knee.) I almost fell off my bike. I had to get off and squat down to stretch them out. I walked up the short hill and kept it in a granny gear so I could spin the remaining bike. It was very slow but it kept the cramps away and I hoped it would work things out before the run.

Bike Fitness!!! I put in a lot of miles but this course isn't about miles. It's about intensity. I felt like I did a thousand hack squats on this ride and the cramping was a result of not being strong enough to withstand that over the course. When I am forced to push extra hard, I sit back and press. If you don't train like that you are going to have problems. To do this again, I would train with more intensity and better race-like conditions.
Transition 2
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

I was nervous right away. I jumped off the bike and felt the cramps. Transition took a while because I stretched out before starting.
Run
  • 3h 07m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I was cramping and in hindsight I completely forgot about what I practiced. During training, I learned that by keeping a high turnover with short strides it took a lot of stress off my legs. That went out the window by the time I hit the first uphill section. The cramps were back and hitting me hard. I mentally tried to block them out but almost tripped and fell because my legs were locking up tight. It reminded me of when I would get a charlie horse and intentionally let it keep getting worse until I could no longer take it. I have a high tolerance for pain but when you can't control you legs I yield. I finally resorted to a strategy of walking all uphills, running all downhills and trying to jog as much as possible on the level ground.

Bike Fitness! I am convinced that with more bike fitness I could have stuck to my game plan and not blown the run out of the water like this.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike fitness - hills

Event comments:

I need to do this again when I am up to par with the bike fitness.

Last updated: 2009-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:28 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 20/387
Performance: Good
Suit: Rented Something or other
Course: Clockwise circle.. you know; left of the yellow things, around the big turtle to the swan and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 07:58
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
04:41:02 | 56 miles | 11.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/20
Overall: 20/387
Wind: Some
Course: Well, it's the Savageman course. I just thought there were hills around where I live. This course is unreal and was one heck of a choice for a first HIM.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:07:19 | 13.1 miles | 14m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/20
Overall: 344/387
Course: Wow.. seriously? Everyone is so focused on the bike portion of this race, they overlook the fact that this run is insane. The camping area is pretty tough but at least the road is good. The fire tower road is steep and barely suitable to walk, let alone run. Grandpa wouldn't get his Hoover Round up this road!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3.8
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-20 6:15 PM

User image

Champion
PA
Subject: Savageman HIM

2010-09-20 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3108770

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Savageman HIM
Congratulations on your race and getting the brick.  Being a fellow Clyde myself I really appreciate the info.  I live here in Deep Creek and have set this race as my goal for 2011.  Thanks again for sharing.
2010-09-20 8:26 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
congrats on finishing your 1st 1/2 IM!  you picked a hard course for your first.  everything from here will be a piece of cake!
2010-09-20 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Nice job, dude.  I really can't imaging doing this race as your first. 
2010-09-21 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
PA
NIce job on your completion of Savageman!  you can be proud of that, especially since this was a first HIM for you.  this bugger is TOUGH!!!  you earned the brick, you finished the race, and you're now a Savageman finisher!
sorry i didnt share any of that pork BBQ with you when i left....my dad was driving like a madman to get home... 
hopefully we can get together for some rides and/or races next year.  in the meantime, enjoy the feeling of finishing such a challenging race!
catch you around.
2010-09-21 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3109242

User image

Champion
PA
wabash - 2010-09-21 8:20 AM NIce job on your completion of Savageman!  you can be proud of that, especially since this was a first HIM for you.  this bugger is TOUGH!!!  you earned the brick, you finished the race, and you're now a Savageman finisher!
sorry i didnt share any of that pork BBQ with you when i left....my dad was driving like a madman to get home... 
hopefully we can get together for some rides and/or races next year.  in the meantime, enjoy the feeling of finishing such a challenging race!
catch you around.

I have to give a big thanks to you for test riding the course with me.  I would not have made the wall and it may have been a DNF without all the lessons learned from the first attempt at that ride. 

The other lesson learned is that this run course is VERY under-hyped.  People talk about the bike course but you could set up that run course alone as the Savageman Half Marathon and there would be people who would DNF.

2010-09-21 8:05 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-21 8:28 AM

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Congrats!!! It takes guts to do your first HIM on what everyone says is such a brutal course.
2010-09-21 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3109291

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Pector55 - 2010-09-21 8:47 AM
wabash - 2010-09-21 8:20 AM NIce job on your completion of Savageman!  you can be proud of that, especially since this was a first HIM for you.  this bugger is TOUGH!!!  you earned the brick, you finished the race, and you're now a Savageman finisher!
catch you around.

I have to give a big thanks to you for test riding the course with me.  I would not have made the wall and it may have been a DNF without all the lessons learned from the first attempt at that ride. 

The other lesson learned is that this run course is VERY under-hyped.  People talk about the bike course but you could set up that run course alone as the Savageman Half Marathon and there would be people who would DNF.

You got that right. What a brutal run.

Congrats on finishing and getting the brick. Better man than me on that account!
2010-09-21 9:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-21 9:30 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
Well done dude!  As others have said, breaking your HIM cherry at SM is no joke.  Doing so as a clyde just makes you nuts (I speak from experience).

Well done and congrats on your race and your brick (I won the clydesdale division the inaugural year but was NOT successful on the wall).

2010-09-21 9:32 PM

Veteran
Hey Savageman,

If the bench press were in the finish chute and you had to put up 350 you and about 2 others would have finished....

Well done.
2010-09-27 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3109479

Regular

I couldn't agree more about your comment.  I've said the same to half a dozen people in the last week.  Because there is so much well earned talk about the insane bike course and the Wall, the run is severely under rated as a sadistic prank.  It has inclines that qualify as huge hills in other races and it has hills like the campground that made fit, experienced athletes cry.

As for the Wall, I need some tips.  At 210 pounds, I went 0/2 on my practice in August and then only made it about 75% of the way up on race day before I simply ran out of torque.  I didn't have the oomph to keep making the pedals move around.  Perhaps I need to do a leg sled and weights to augment my relatively flat bike riding in NoVa.  Next time, I want a brick!

2010-10-03 2:57 AM

Melon Presser
DAAAAAAAAAANG!!!

You KILLED your first HIM--frick, you FINISHED ... You are SSSSSSSSSAVAGE!!!

You stayed upright on the WALL and destroyed the pretty people around you

That's a superfast swim and a killer bike for the course being what it is, and a right solid run on as you say an insane course.
2010-10-03 3:53 PM

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
You are a wack-o for doing SavageMan as your first HIM!

Good going getting your brick!

How did that guy get between you and the girl on the Westernport Wall?
2010-10-04 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3120632

Master
Beijing
klassman - 2010-09-26 8:46 PM

I couldn't agree more about your comment.  I've said the same to half a dozen people in the last week.  Because there is so much well earned talk about the insane bike course and the Wall, the run is severely under rated as a sadistic prank.  It has inclines that qualify as huge hills in other races and it has hills like the campground that made fit, experienced athletes cry.

As for the Wall, I need some tips.  At 210 pounds, I went 0/2 on my practice in August and then only made it about 75% of the way up on race day before I simply ran out of torque.  I didn't have the oomph to keep making the pedals move around.  Perhaps I need to do a leg sled and weights to augment my relatively flat bike riding in NoVa.  Next time, I want a brick!

Keeping in mind I've only seen the wall on video.  Still, I'm a mountain-biker and I can tell that's a killer hill.  

If you're not running a 34/50 compact with a 12-27 cassette, you need to either ride hills ALL THE TIME, or switch your gearing.   Even running 34->27 that hill is not going to be a cake-walk.

2010-10-04 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3131196

Master
Fulton, MD
moondawg14 - 2010-10-04 9:21 AM
klassman - 2010-09-26 8:46 PM

Keeping in mind I've only seen the wall on video.  Still, I'm a mountain-biker and I can tell that's a killer hill.  

If you're not running a 34/50 compact with a 12-27 cassette, you need to either ride hills ALL THE TIME, or switch your gearing.   Even running 34->27 that hill is not going to be a cake-walk.

The only real advise I have is to ride hills, and ride them lots.  I live in the Eastern part of MD, and we have a lot of rollers but nothing like SM.  That said, I do think the constant up and down helps condition the legs for the SM hills.  I made it up with a compact and a 12-25, though a 12-27 or 28 would certainly have been easier.
2010-10-05 11:47 AM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Great job, Mike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Savageman HIM Rss Feed