United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 56m 6s
Overall Rank = 258/1357
Age Group = M18-24
Age Group Rank = 8/47
Pre-race routine:

I got in to Branson about 10pm on Friday night. This was a little later than I would of liked but oh well. I ate at lone star and then was in bed by midnight. Not the best night of sleep for me either.

The next morning I got and went to the athlete check in. It was a breeze walking through that. No lines what so ever. The race talk was crowded and could of used a bigger space with the amount of people at it. After that I went and drove the bike course and nearly cried. It looked difficult and challenging for a person who trains in a flatter state (~1000 ft of climbing on an average ride. After that mentally depressing drive, I went and got lunch at Famous Dave's, checked out T2 and looked at some of the run course. I then went to the Hollywood wax museum and played some mini-golf. Then it was dinner time and made sure all my stuff was ready for the morning.

I got up at 3:30 am, ate my bowl of frosted flakes, banana, and a bagel. I got my gear packed in my car and was out the door to drive the 5 minutes from the condo to T2 by 4:40. I got to T2 by 4:50am and it was already open which was nice (It wasn't suppose to open till 5am) Once I got set up in T2, I had to catch a bus for the 20 minute ride over to T1. I got to T1 and set up the rest of the stuff I needed becasue I had put my bike in the night before. After I was all setup, It was time to find a nice peaceful place to relax for about an hour and a half.
Event warmup:

I put my wetsuit on, did some arm circles and stretching and was ready to go.
Swim
  • 31m 44s
  • 2100 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a running, wave starting, so that was interesting for me. I did get kicked and jostled a little, but just keep trying to find some romm to swim. There was still a wonderful fog across the lake which made it hard to sight to each bouy. It also didn't help that I didn't realize my goggles were scratch up as bad as they were.I was pretty good at doing a straight line to each bouy and keeping it between 5 and 10 feet away from me. There was sharper turn to head in to the longer home strecth swim. I did swim a little out of my way becasue I lost the bouy I was looking for and went to wards one on the home stretch. It was only an extra 20 yards. Getting through the waves that went before me was tough too. They should of kept the 5 minute wave start times just to spread out the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Get some new goggles.
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

The swim exit in to transition was really narrow, maybe between 6 and 10 ft wide at the most. This made it hard to run through it because everybody was walking in front of you. You had to walk up some steps which made it even slower and then were finally able to get into transition after another 20 meters of running. Once I got into transition, it was smooth sailing. My time doesn't really say that but I just took my time to make sure I got everything in my bag, so it could be transported to T2 and I had everything I need for the fun ride coming up
Bike
  • 3h 07m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.89 mile/hr
Comments:

My first thought coming out of T1 was, wow look at the beautiful fog. I hope going down hill doesn't hurt to much when you can't see to far in front of you! It took it easy and told my self to not push anything till I was almost completed the bike. Once I got out on the closed highway section for the 2 and a half loops, it was smooth sailing. Yes this course had anywhere from 4000-7000 feet of climbing, from whatever one has said and what I heard. Yes it was a brutal mountainous terrain course. No these were not your typical rolling hills where if you forgot to shift into any easier gear you still could crank it out. But other than that you might have wanted a sissy gear or two, which at times I wish I had. I had a 50-34 chainring with a 12-27 cassette. Going up hill actually was two bad. There were a few spots were I wished I had an easier gear, but I pushed through it. Downhill I wish I had a harder gear to take advantage of it. I maxed out at 41 mph downhill, so that was a scary new sensation for me.

I meet a nice guy out on the first loop, that claimed to have rode this course already 12 times. At least he was well prepared for it. We talked for about 3-4 minutes on the last little bit of a climb. There were 2 aid stations which you passed through for a total of 5 times. I managed to drink about 1.5 Gatorade each loop and took in about 4 gels and 2 Quaker chewy bars. I did also drink about 1 bottle of water.

The heat was that bad until about 10 am. That was when you could start to feel it beating down on you with that sun. You did see some people walking up the hills and you also saw some beautiful scenery. I also did see a helicopter flying over us multiple times.

Compared to my kansas bike time this ride was 3 minutes faster. I also had no mechanical malfunctions or oil spills to walk around which made me happy! :)
What would you do differently?:

Train with more hills, if i could find some.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Good T2 for me. It was quick and I got everything I needed from there.
Run
  • 2h 09m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

This is were it all either hit you or it didn't from that bike. I felt great coming off that bike and going into the first 4.63 miles. I think I didn't take in enough nutrition this first couple of miles which only affected my my second 4.63 miles. Jsut before mile marker number 5 was were I started to do a walk run for the rest of the race Then I started to feel much better and the last 3.84 miles was much easier. Yeah I said MUCH EASIER!! With a little over 3 miles to go and me feeling much better, I looked at my watch and realized I could still salvage an under 6 hour time if I kept my pace under 12 minutes. So I mental built myself up and did it!

RUN SPLIT 1 - 4.63 mi 4.63 mi. (38:59) 8:25/mile
RUN SPLIT 2 - 9.26 mi 4.63 mi. (49:59) 10:47/mile
FINAL RUN SPLIT 3.84 mi. (40:51) 10:38/mile
TOTAL RUN 13.1 mi. (2:09:49) 9:54/mile

It was a flat run course. There was a sharper turn were you made did about 20-30 feet of climbing and that was it. There were 15 aid stations on the course so that was nice. They only served gels, power bars, gatorade, water, and ice. It would of been nice to see some oranges or something else to help motivate you along a little. It was great atmosphere with great spectators.I slapped high fives to a lot of the little kids you say holding out there hands for them. A couple of people on the run course had there hoses out and were spraying you down as you went. It wasn't as hot as Kansas had been a d was definitely much flatter than the kansas run course.
Post race
Warm down:

I got my medal took some water and Gatorade and found some shade to stand in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The mountainous terrain and the heat.

Event comments:

For the first ever race put on in Branson, they did an exceptional job. I didn't see a nice display of food at the end which was a bummer and I wish they would of had a more things on the run aid stations to motivate you through.

I think that this is must do race to experience and complete. I would not plan on coming in and setting a PR. I would just worry about finishing and having a good time. Don't under estimate the Hills becasue they will kick your a@* if you do. Take it easy through them and them hope that you can survive the run and then you should have a great race.

My mom texted me while she was tracking me on line. She told me I missed 7th place in my Ag by .01. Yeah I really didn't care. I was just happy to have finished this race at this awesome venue and enjoyed it at the same time!!!

My time compared to Kansas was only 6:05 off of this time. A lot of people were much further off from there Kansas times, so I was quite thrilled that I was this close to my Kansas time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:44 | 2100 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/47
Overall: 83/1357
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 3 Sleevless
Course: It was a triangular, 1 loop shaped course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:07:46 | 56 miles | 17.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/47
Overall: 281/1357
Wind: None
Course: It was a 6 mile out to a four lane highway. Then it was two and a half loops on the closed highway. Then a 9 mile ride back in to town.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:49 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/47
Overall: 258/1357
Course: It was a three loop course through branson landing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-20 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Branson

2010-09-20 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3109043

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Branson
The first picture is the swim on saturday. The second picture is the swim start on sunday. The third picture is the run. The fourth picture is where you finished. The fifth picture is me and a friend (because we are currently not dating right now, we were before) after the race.
2010-09-21 6:52 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Great job on a brutal course!  Nice work!
2010-09-21 8:34 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Awesome race man.  That was a brutal course and you did great! Congrats
2010-09-21 10:06 AM

User image

great job sounds like a brutal bike ride

Edited by fungi32 2010-09-21 10:07 AM
2010-09-21 11:15 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Awesome! Sub 6 is great effort out there!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Branson Rss Feed