General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-09-12 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3682224

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

dewcubs - 2011-09-12 10:38 AM I jusy want to say congrats to all of the athletes who competed yesterday...big shoutout to "Iceman" Scott Richardson who finished his 1st ironman!!!  If you have not caught at the finish line before you need to sign up to do it at a future race...it is AWESOME!!!  The last male finisher's son (who had finished earlier) waited for about 30 minutes at the finish line for his dad...when he came up I asked him who he was waiting for and he said my dad.  I asked him is he close?  He looked at me with eyes watering and said "I hope so..."  as the time got closer and closer to midnight he was just standing there waiting and all of us catchers were just hoping...at 11:58:45 Mike Reilly says "we got one more finisher and he is going to make it!!!"  The kid looks up and suddenly throws off his foil..it was his dad!!!!  He finished just over 11:59 and his son caught him!!  It was super emotional!!!

Great story!  I heard about his emotional finish from someone else today.

2011-09-12 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3111494

User image

Veteran
Fort Wayne IN
Whew! What an awesome day-worth every painful minute!!! Congrats to all!!!
2011-09-12 7:10 PM

User image

over a barrier
Got in...11:56 ish, keep looking over my shoulder being chased be the sunset as finishing in daylight became the goal. Bad day, starting cramping in Verona on loop2. Didn't get to "run" much but the good news...my girlfriend laid the hurt down and she is headed to Kona. 2nd AG.

Congrats to Laura and Chris!
2011-09-12 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3683346

User image

Extreme Veteran

dbl post

Edited by dewcubs 2011-09-12 7:13 PM
2011-09-12 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3683346

User image

Extreme Veteran

running2far - 2011-09-12 7:10 PM Got in...11:56 ish, keep looking over my shoulder being chased be the sunset as finishing in daylight became the goal. Bad day, starting cramping in Verona on loop2. Didn't get to "run" much but the good news...my girlfriend laid the hurt down and she is headed to Kona. 2nd AG. Congrats to Laura and Chris!

Wow awesome!!!  You get to go too though right???  I mean she needs a crew

2011-09-12 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3683352

User image

over a barrier
dewcubs - 2011-09-12 7:13 PM

running2far - 2011-09-12 7:10 PM Got in...11:56 ish, keep looking over my shoulder being chased be the sunset as finishing in daylight became the goal. Bad day, starting cramping in Verona on loop2. Didn't get to "run" much but the good news...my girlfriend laid the hurt down and she is headed to Kona. 2nd AG. Congrats to Laura and Chris!

Yup! She swam a 59 and it took me until Old Sauk to catch her on the bike, when then played leap frog for the next 30 miles and she dropped me

Also, dumpster and I were within a minute of each either from Start through the bike to the run...then he blitz by me on the run.

Saw Birkierunner at special needs as well.

Edited by running2far 2011-09-12 7:20 PM

2011-09-13 10:05 AM

User image

Congrats all - we did it!

Does anyone know what the high temp. for the day was? The sun felt pretty warm on the bike.
2011-09-13 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3684123

User image

Master
Chicago
buhl0006 - 2011-09-13 10:05 AM

Congrats all - we did it!

Does anyone know what the high temp. for the day was? The sun felt pretty warm on the bike.

Supposed to have been 84 based on I think weather.com history. I think it was slightly humid though which factored in.
2011-09-13 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas

All of the pain, strain, lack of sleep, non-stop eating, etc was worth it! My 2009 DNF was avenged Sunday! Not the most impressive time, not the slowest time, but a PR!

Congrats finishers!

2011-09-13 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3684123

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

buhl0006 - 2011-09-13 10:05 AM Congrats all - we did it! Does anyone know what the high temp. for the day was? The sun felt pretty warm on the bike.

I think the high was 86 on Sunday, but I heard one of the coaches talking on the run and he made a very good point. He said that Sunday was a prime example of why sunscreen is very important. It was not overwelmingly hot by any means, but that sun was relentless and with the clear skies it was just burning down on people. Wear sunscreen and your body will tolerate the sun just a bit better.

2011-09-13 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Iowa

That was the most brutal experience of my life, but that finishing chute was simply amazing!!  It is something I will never forget.  I still can't believe I finished, as I was definitely on the wrong side of the tracks for most of the day.  It wasn't the race I was wanting but for my first one, I got to the finish line.

Congrats to all of those who did as well, and to all of the volunteers, you guys rock.  There was one volunteer at the special needs run area and I told her I didn't need my bag on my way to the turnaround but when I came back she had my bag for me and I kept telling her that I didn't need it.  At this point I was walking and just wanted to keep moving and didn't want to stop.  She told me, "You need to see what is inside this bag"...it was a picture and letter from my daughter telling me to keep moving forward.  That was the boost I needed and could never thank her enough for making me stop...again, those that volunteer are amazing.

2011-09-13 1:07 PM

New user

Congratulations to everyone! 

It was as good a day as a Ironman race on a 85+ degree could be.

This was my first IM, and I was hoping for a low 15 hour finish.  I ended up finishing in 13.46.08.  I am super happy with my results, aside from getting sick twice within the last six miles of the run.

Thanks to all the volunteers, you guys were great!

2011-09-13 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3684351

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
harleyclone - 2011-09-13 12:38 PM

That was the most brutal experience of my life, but that finishing chute was simply amazing!!  It is something I will never forget.  I still can't believe I finished, as I was definitely on the wrong side of the tracks for most of the day.  It wasn't the race I was wanting but for my first one, I got to the finish line.

Congrats to all of those who did as well, and to all of the volunteers, you guys rock.  There was one volunteer at the special needs run area and I told her I didn't need my bag on my way to the turnaround but when I came back she had my bag for me and I kept telling her that I didn't need it.  At this point I was walking and just wanted to keep moving and didn't want to stop.  She told me, "You need to see what is inside this bag"...it was a picture and letter from my daughter telling me to keep moving forward.  That was the boost I needed and could never thank her enough for making me stop...again, those that volunteer are amazing.

That is awesome!  Great volunteers for sure, couldn't agree more.  But what a great surprise for you!

2011-09-13 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

Thank you to everyone out there who encouraged me through the day. It was the hardest Ironman I have done so far, as I could hardly keep anything down all day on the bike but coke helped some on the run. I never focused on how badly I felt; I remained positive, did my best to keep smiling and just enjoy the day. We all have that one bad/challenging race to test our mental strength and Sunday was my day. Now,  I am looking forward to IMFL in November.  Racing with everyone on Sunday was a Blast.

2011-09-13 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3683364

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
running2far - 2011-09-12 7:18 PM
dewcubs - 2011-09-12 7:13 PM

Yup! She swam a 59 and it took me until Old Sauk to catch her on the bike, when then played leap frog for the next 30 miles and she dropped me Also, dumpster and I were within a minute of each either from Start through the bike to the run...then he blitz by me on the run. Saw Birkierunner at special needs as well.

We were pretty close all day!  I didn't realize that until I saw you on the run.  I wouldn't quite call it a blitz on the run, I was just barely hanging on myself.

Not sure what it is about IMWI, but that run course just eats people up and spits them out ( or maybe it's the bike course, and it just manifests on the run ).

Huge congrats to Karin!  We cheered very loudly for her at the awards banquet on Monday.  Well earned spot to the big show!

-Chris 
2011-09-14 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3684962

User image

Master

This was the best race ever!  I had a super time all day and enjoyed seeing so many smiling faces out there on the bike and the run (I won't talk about what I was calling you guys during the swim - ha!).  Madison was just plain awesome.  : )

Congrats Whizz and the guy whose dad was the last finisher.  We stayed to hear him come in (couldn't get close enough to see) and it was so cool.

2011-09-14 8:42 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

So, how's everybody feeling?

Let's hear you, both bad and good, and both emotionally and physically.

2011-09-14 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Skokie, IL
Feeling pretty good, Monday still had the adrenalin going, but yesterday was exhausted and quads were very sore. Still I never expected to feel as good as I do 3 days out.

BTW, I am totally stoked to have finished my first IM! I couldn't have asked for the day to go better, (even more so since I was in bed during the week with a bug). What surprised me was that I barely noticed the heat and I am very sensitive to hot weather. I think all those upper 90s days this summer made a a mid-85 day seem not so bad. I felt I left a lot on the course, but really wanted to make sure to finish and enjoy the day. My only regret is that right now I am in the IM Penalty Box with my wife, who wouldn't even consider letting me sign up for next year. But I have the bug and will work on wearing her down.
2011-09-14 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Does anyone know if the woman wearing a boot for her broken foot finished?  She came out of T2 somewhere around five o'clock, but I never saw her again.
2011-09-14 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3685823

User image

Veteran
Skokie, IL
I don't know, but when I came upon the firefighter from behind, I told him it didn't count if he didn't wear the boots. He starting cracking up and said he knew someone was going to say that to him. I high fived him, thanked him and told him he was an inspiration.
2011-09-14 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3685750

User image

New user

NE Illinois

I also can't believe how good I feel so soon after the race. Woke up Tuesday with some pretty stiff quads, but I had a massage yesterday afternoon and that has done wonders. Nominal soreness today and probably will be +90% recovered by tomorrow.

Sunday was my first IM, and I agree with McLuvin that I barely noticed the heat. I had many workouts this summer that were brutally hot and humid, and Sunday felt mostly comfortable to me.

My race went really well. I avoided a crash at an early bike aid station when the guy in front of me lost his momentum and fell a couple feet in front of me. I'm still not sure how I made it through without falling...I was already planning on how I was going to go down when somehow I was able to ride through him and one other rider caught up in the mess. Sometimes you just get lucky, I guess.

I think I am most pleased with my run (4:36:24). I used a Jeff Galloway run/walk strategy (run 4 mins; walk 1 min) from the beginning of the run, and it worked like a charm. I never slowed down, and my last 4 miles were my fastest. According to the race results, I passed 431 runners (about 19% of the total field) during the marathon.

Also, a special shout-out to all the volunteers. They were the BEST I have ever encountered in any race. There were seemingly millions of them, and they were helpful and encouraging and competent. Thank you!!!!

2011-09-14 11:20 AM

Expert
Golden, CO
Well I signed up for 2012.  Didn't make it through the entire course this year.  I am actually more distraught and upset today then I was on Sunday.  The swim was brutal and yet I came out 10 minutes faster then I thought my best time could possibly be.  The bike for me was hot but did not seem crazy like Racine was.  And I actually could run after the bike and felt darn good. Unfortunately that pesky hydration issue caught up with me.  I guess I would be more upset if I would not have finished because my legs didn't work or I didn't put in the training or I was just not fit enough...but I am still upset.  I guess I have a year to work with the nutritionists and coaches to see if there is anything I can do short of doing an IM in Alaska.  I'm also hoping that I can lose 20 more pounds to add to the 45 pounds I lost this year to maybe help with finishing.  I found it funny that at 6'1" 202 lbs I Was still be called big guy on the run and bike.  I feel like a twig right now..lol.  Anyway it was a blast and a great experience except for the result.  Hope to see a lot of you next year.
2011-09-14 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3686032

User image

New user

NE Illinois

Funny story (at least I think so).

I was coming out of the aid station at about mile 23 (the one in the underpass), when a volunteer comes up to me and puts his arm around me. He bends over, cuts his eyes back and forth, like he is about to try to sell me a counterfeit Rolex or something. He says under his breath, "Second loop?" It takes me a moment to realize he is asking me if I am on my second loop, then I respond, "Yes."

He says, "3 miles to go. That's 5K. You make fun of people who run 5K."

I cracked up (mostly because he's right, sorry to say), and off I went with the thought in my head that all I had to go was 5K and, hell, anyone can run 5K.

2011-09-14 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3685823

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
kevin_trapp - 2011-09-14 9:18 AM Does anyone know if the woman wearing a boot for her broken foot finished?  She came out of T2 somewhere around five o'clock, but I never saw her again.

Yup...we actually started the run together and talked on and off.  At mile 4 I ended up losing my cookies and never saw her after that.  Not sure she was gonna make the midnight cutoff.
2011-09-14 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3686078

User image

Master

I feel great today.  However, I went at "easy-peasy" pace on the bike so that I could run the run.  After a spectacular blow-up at Louisville last year, I was determined not to "eat the paste" on the bike and do an easy ride.  Managed that and had an absolutely terrific run.  It is amazing how much fun a run can be when you don't overheat, dehydrate and have your digestion shut down before it.  ; )

I have to disagree with the two guys who posted above.  It was HOT on Sunday.  I started dumping water on myself in the first hour of the bike and continued the whole ride.  I think that, plus my slower speed, helped me not overheat when I easily could have.  I still got hives on my legs, but not nearly as bad as they have been in the past.

Madison was awesome.  I love everything about that town and Wisconsin.  : )  We went to New Glarus to see the Brewery, to Monroe for the cheese sandwiches at Baumgartners, to the Dane County Farmer's Market, for chocolates at Candinas, to the Fromagerie for cheese, to the Old Fashioned, the Great Dane, Zuzus, and the Coopers Tavern for food and frosty beverages and they were all fabulous.  The spectators were amazing and so uplifting.  The course was beautiful and the lake was clear and clean and delightful.  Super super super event.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56