General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MTB Trail Riding/climbing Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-22 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Subject: MTB Trail Riding/climbing Question
Ok, so I finished my last tri of the season last week and I decided to dust off the ol' MTB and get her ready to hit the trails.  Prior to me purchasing a roadie, most of my MTB time was actually spent on the roads, very minimal on trails.  So now that I have both a road and MTB I am going to return my MTB to her roots.  Here is my question.....

When climbing on trails what is the best method, especially on loose packed trails, to climb without spinning out the rear wheel?  I went out this weekend and had the worst time climbing, rear whell was spinning out like crazy. 

Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!

-Brian

2010-09-22 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3111629

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-26 10:00 AM

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: MTB Trail Riding/climbing Question
Sit on the nose of the saddle, right at the very end.  Not very comfortable but it will help keep from spinning out.
2010-09-30 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3117938

Regular
Northport, NY
When you pull on the bars (which is natural climbing), pull back and DOWN not back and up. Imagine a straight line from your handlebar to your rear axle, that should be the direction of pull. It will provide a downward transfer of power to your back wheel, thereby creating more friction=less spinning.
2010-09-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3126098

Sensei
Sin City
STAY SEATED...

On the really steep stuff, you will have to probably move forward (there have been plenty of times the nose of the saddle has been uncomfortably poking a places where the sun don't shine...) and lower your chest to also keep the front wheel on the ground.  But as soon as you stand in such a low gear, it will spin out on ya.  Also, spin spin spin.  I also look what's coming up and if I have to, gain a little momentum if there is a big rock or root I need to clear.  Those items will slow you down, so it's nice to hit time with a little speed so when you do slow, they don't stall you.

Edited by Kido 2010-09-30 1:38 PM
2010-11-29 1:26 PM

Keep your butt down as previously mentioned, always be looking ahead( constantly 10-15 yds ahead, not staring of what's right in front of your tire). One thing that helps is picking a line and sticking ot you. You will find that your technical skills will greatly increase and when that increases, your confidence increases. When confidence increases that means no more holding on to the brakes for dear life and rippin it on the trails. I just got into Tri's but am an avid MTB racer. That's the only draw back to prepping for my first tri (IMLOU) is that time on the MTB has gone away. Haven't been MTB since my 60 mile race at the Brown County Breakdown on OCT 10.

2010-12-23 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3126098

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
jellyfish74 - 2010-09-30 1:14 PM

When you pull on the bars (which is natural climbing), pull back and DOWN not back and up. Imagine a straight line from your handlebar to your rear axle, that should be the direction of pull. It will provide a downward transfer of power to your back wheel, thereby creating more friction=less spinning.

Easiest way to visualize this is to bring your elbows toward your knees. This does exactly as the jellyman describes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MTB Trail Riding/climbing Question Rss Feed