General Discussion Triathlon Talk » back spasmed on run; can't bend over and hard to breath. ideas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-24 6:26 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: back spasmed on run; can't bend over and hard to breath. ideas?
I went for my morning run and 2 mins into the run, out of nowhere, my back suddenly spasms right up those two long tenderloin muscles that line each side of the spine. It was quick! But VERY painful. I had to stop suddenly because I could hardly breath. It was like getting wacked in the face!

Now I can't bend over (I am experiencing a lot of back pain!) and I have a slight shortness of breath.

Any ideas on what the heck happened and what I can do to relieve the back pain? FWIW, I am a 27 year old male in good health.

Edited by wstchstrTriathlete 2010-09-24 6:27 AM

2010-09-24 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3115378

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: back spasmed on run; can't bend over and hard to breath. ideas?
Ever have any back pain before? I suffer from back problems at least twice a year, and it's normally just before a holiday or a race, and usually while doing nothing other than walking / turning etc.

I tend to keep mobile when it happens, yes it hurts but the recovery is a lot quicker than just laying down and waiting to feel better. I've had a few sessions with back crackers etc in the past and put my problems down to poor physical fitness and mobility (still can't touch my toes!). But I also know that all this training is helping me be fitter and hopefully help the problem go away.

If you're worried give your doctor a call, and don't just mask the pain with paracetemol it's hurting for a reason.

Good luck
2010-09-24 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Beijing
wstchstrTriathlete - 2010-09-23 7:26 AM I went for my morning run and 2 mins into the run, out of nowhere, my back suddenly spasms right up those two long tenderloin muscles that line each side of the spine. It was quick! But VERY painful. I had to stop suddenly because I could hardly breath. It was like getting wacked in the face!

Now I can't bend over (I am experiencing a lot of back pain!) and I have a slight shortness of breath.

Any ideas on what the heck happened and what I can do to relieve the back pain? FWIW, I am a 27 year old male in good health.

I've had that pain before.  You're right, it's  sudden, excruciating, and debilitating.   There's not a whole heckuvalot you can do for lower back pain other than:

Good core strength.
Sleep on a good mattress.
lift with your legs.

My back pain started at 21 after spending my first year out of college living at my parents and sleeping on a sofa bed (yes, for a year)

Since improving my sleeping situation, getting in shape, and being more careful when lifting, I've all but eliminated the pain.

If I spend a night on a non-firm mattress, I'll feel it for a couple of days. 

In the short term, find a comfortable spot and either ice or heat the area (whichever feels better!) and take some Naproxen.   move as little as possible.   If you're using cold, frozen bags of peas or lima beans work great.  If you're using heat, a small heating pad is the bomb.  

In my experience, this is probably some sort of alignment or disc issue in your back.   It might "fix itself" just as quickly as it came on, or it might just get better over time.

I'm not a doctor (nor did I sleep at Holiday Inn Express) but am a former back pain sufferer.   Take my advice with a large grain of salt, and talk to your MD at your convenience.

I'm a "3rd Generation" back pain guy.  My grandpa had surgery at 80 to fuse 3 vertebra in his spine.   He's 91 this year, and volunteers at least 8 hours a day at my former school.... and then a few more hours tinkering in his garage.   It's all about pain management, baby.  

Good luck!
2010-09-24 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3115453

User image

Master
Beijing
rich-racer-uk - 2010-09-23 8:41 AM Ever have any back pain before? I suffer from back problems at least twice a year, and it's normally just before a holiday or a race, and usually while doing nothing other than walking / turning etc.

I tend to keep mobile when it happens, yes it hurts but the recovery is a lot quicker than just laying down and waiting to feel better. I've had a few sessions with back crackers etc in the past and put my problems down to poor physical fitness and mobility (still can't touch my toes!). But I also know that all this training is helping me be fitter and hopefully help the problem go away.

If you're worried give your doctor a call, and don't just mask the pain with paracetemol it's hurting for a reason.

Good luck

AH!  thank you.  I  forgot to add "in the long term" in my reply.    Rich Racer is right.   don't wait to feel entirely better before you start moving.   My "short term" advice in my reply was just to get the pain to a manageable level.  It will get better faster if you're up and moving around (carefully)
2010-09-24 8:57 AM

User image

Hutchinson, Kansas
I have never had that kind of back pain, but my lower back had been hurting and it was even causing my hip to hurt.  Doctor did an x-ray and said "yep...it's your lower back."  Yea thanks !!!  He gave my a booklet that had some stretches for the lower back.  The more I did them, the less pain I had.  You might search around the net for some good back stretches and do them for awhile.  See if that helps the pain.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » back spasmed on run; can't bend over and hard to breath. ideas? Rss Feed