United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/20?
Pre-race routine:

This was a tune-up event for the Baltimore Half-Marathon in three weeks. Wanted to run a strong 10K with a negative split.

Woke up at 5:30 a.m., ate half a zone bar and drank some coffee. Did some chores around the house. Left for 5 minute ride to race site at 7:15 a.m. Signed up at the site; no line and very organized.
Event warmup:

Talked with some friends for a bit and then pre-race warm up. While running down to the track, I rolled my right ankle pretty good. After yelling %#$# and limping down to the track I decided to see what the ankle could take (I am a veteran of injured ankles from years of volleyball, basketball, soccer, and um, some "drinking injuries". I was able to run with just a slight favor of the ankle and it seemed to get a little better as I got loose. Ran about a mile total and stretched, plus drank my sport drink concoction (Orange Juice, water, and Accelerade mixture).
Run
  • 50m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

The beginning of the run was a little frustrating due to congestion, but once I got out of the pack spacing was fine. Just enough runners to keep in sight but nobody tripping over each other. This was my first time running this course so I took it a little slow the first mile.

After the 1.5 miles, mostly uphill, I opened it up a bit. Hit the first loop (where the 5K finishers were going...I REALLY wanted to just stop at that point) at 25:10, a little slower than I was hoping for but it's a hilly course and it was warm.

Attacked the uphills on the "back nine" and just strode the downhills, which was a perfect race strategy because people were really struggling on the uphills and I probably passed 8-10 people on the hills. Kicked it out the last half mile, culminating with an unwelcome sprint to the finish as I was right with a kid half my age. Little whipper snapper (OK, he was like 22 or something...) WAS IN A FULL SPRINT by the finish line. I thought two things, 1) I ain't blowing out a groin muscle trying to sprint with this guy and 2), kid had way too much left. It did make me push my kick, though.

Finished at 50:11, which is a PR for a 10k for me. Was hoping for 49:30 or so but it was a hilly course, so I'll take it. I'm feeling good about breaking 1:50 next month in the Half.

Oh, and I made podium for 3rd in my AG. 2nd place was like 3 1/2 minutes faster so no regrets.
What would you do differently?:

Run mile 3-4 a little harder, probably took it too easy which didn't let me break 50 min.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a hot dog, drank Raven beer (good stuff). This race has nice goodies.

Event comments:

I like this race...I've done the 5K version several times. They are well organized and the post-race stuff is great. Small field this year...I think they were expecting 1,000 runners but it was less than half of that. Will definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:11 | 06.21 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/20?
Overall: 15/
Performance: Good
Ran a 25:10 5K split, so a negative split...perfect. Heart rate was right where I wanted it (no spikes).
Course: Rolling hills through the CCBC campus and streets of Catonsville. There was a crowded area going through the woods, but all-in-all OK.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes