Your Cause Sports
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 2s
Overall Rank = 31/122
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

Slept in and had a big pancake breakfast at about 9:00 am. Then had a Clif Bar at 11:00 am. Picked up Tom and we all headed up to Boulder, arriving around 12:40 pm. Grabbed a primo spot in transition right by the bike exit and picked up my packet.

Event warmup:

10 minute easy ride and 1/2 mile run. It was hot! Went down to the beach and swim about 100 yards and stretched a bit.
Swim
  • 34m 36s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seeded myself in the usual back and outside position but it seemed like a lot of guys stayed behind me that shouldn't have. Roughest tri start to date. Some boat led it off and left a huge chop for us and for a wave of 60 guys, there was a lot of tight swimming for awhile. My shoulders initially felt good and I swam freestyle for most of the first out. The same guy ran into me three times; the third time he took the hint.
Was passed by the first woman just after the last buoy heading in. Swam until my fingers touched and jogged from the water, heading back to the swim start for lap #2. Felt about the same for second lap and just maintained. Last place in my AG here.
What would you do differently?:

Swimming just plain sucks for me. My shoulders don't allow me to swim freestyle for much more than 100 yards and I have to switch to breast stroke. Sooner or later, I will convert to duathlon.
The constant chop from boats was very frustrating and I swallowed more air and water than I normally do.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Wetsuit off fast but had to take some time to put on socks as I blistered on the run in my last Oly. Not too bad though and I was still 4th in my AG here.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 36s
  • 23.6 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Had high hopes here. Started off in a comfortably hard pace and passed a lot of people. Was only passed by two people all day. Stayed aero as much as I could but I'm still uncomfortable on this bike. The first 10 miles were relatively uphill and I was only averaging around 17.5 mph. Made the turn east and tried to make up time and saw my average climb to 19.4 mph by the 15 mile mark. Figured I had it made to get over 20 mph now but the course was a series of rollers the rest of the way in and my legs were starting to feel a bit drained. My right knee started to bug me the last four miles or so and I was getting hot. The wind seemed weird and I felt like I didn't get any relief the whole race.
Nutrition: Gu @ 00:25 and 00:55 minutes. One bottle Cytomax.

Maybe start out a little easier and build from there. My crappy swimming puts a lot of pressure on me to ride and run well.
Nutrition was not right as the run will show.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

For whatever reason, I have T2 nailed. 2nd overall of all competitors and I'm consistently in the top 5 in every race.

Bike next to me was racked into my space and cost me a few seconds.
Run
  • 52m 36s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Well here's where the wheels completely fell off. Ran out of T2 and by the time I got to the course start, I felt like I had a cement block in my stomach. I instantly knew this was going to be trouble. I had something similar to this a few years ago but it wasn't nearly as bad and I was still able to run through it. Not this time. Within a half mile I was walking and belching/farting, etc., anything to get the bomb out of my stomach. In the first mile I walked three times. I saw Tom (who flatted in T1) around 1.25 miles and when he asked me how I felt, I responded with a terrific 5 second fart. He said, "oh."
Walk/ran my way through the first lap and Tom ran back in with me. Was seriously contemplating bagging the race with the thought of running another lap with my stomach and the heat. Came through the turnaround and my family was cheering me on and my daughter handed me a cup of water. Stopped and talked with them a bit and then my kids ran with me for a few hundred yards, which lifted my spirits. Finally at about four miles, my stomach settled down. At the last turnaround, I doused myself with more water and tried to salvage the run. Finished the last few miles at around 7:00/mile pace. Allie ran the last bit of the race with me in her flip flops and I grabbed her hand as we finished.

I don't even know where to start. For those that know me, they know I can run and to take that out of the equation of a tri...SIGH
This was so humbling for me and I have a lot of new respect for people suffering during the run as I was blistering off 6:40 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

I wasn't sweating and my mouth was like sandpaper. Grabbed two cold towels at the finish, filled my jersey with ice, and started dousing myself. Sat down for a bit and then headed to the reservoir where the chilly water was amazing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

(1) Nutrition. This 2:00 start screwed me up. Normally I have a Clif bar and banana in my stomach about two hours before a race and that works very well for me. Today I added a huge pancake breakfast, thinking five hours would be ok. Took in two Gu on the bike as at Loveland Oly, I felt a little flat around four miles in the run. I think I took my first Gu too soon as well.
(2) Bike. Still not used to the aero setup and I wonder if taking nutrition in this folded over position hurt me.
(3) Heat. It was close to 90 degrees during the run and was already 85 at the start of the swim.
(4) Rest. Friday night I got two hours of sleep at work and then I spent most of the day Saturday on my feet working around the house.

Oh well. Definitely a learning race for me and at least I got to finish it unlike my friend Tom who flatted in T1 after coming out of the water 7th. Try to redeem myself in a 10k in a few weeks and then it's time for some serious rest and recovery.
In the end, my run was 10 minutes slower than at Loveland. It would have put me very close to 3rd in my AG and moved me up about 12 spots overall. And while Loveland was a strong race for me, today I just felt flat.

Event comments:

This is a new race organization and they are doing everything right! THREE aid stations on the ride, two on the run. Lots of volunteers. Cold towels, water at the finish. Great swag bag including a great shirt and matching bike socks. Vendor area looked great and they even had a bounce house for the kids.

Last updated: 2010-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:36 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 11/122
Performance: Average
First lap about 16:30?
Suit: ProMotion
Course: Point to point horseshoe with a 100 yard jog on the beach for the second loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:36 | 23.6 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 0/122
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Single loop. Jay Road west from the reservoir and then followed 36 up to Nelson Road. East on Nelson to 63rd and then south to the Diagonal and then back to Jay to the reservoir.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:36 | 06.2 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 0/122
Performance: Bad
Mile 1 (9:00). Enough said.
Course: O&B times two along the Boulder Reservoir. Mostly gravel road with zero shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: Boulder Sunset Olympic Triathlon

2010-10-03 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3119887

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Boulder Sunset Olympic Triathlon
Sorry to read that you had a tough race. On the best of days, the run at Boulder Res is brutally hot.(every race I did there this summer was the same even in the morning) I can only imagine how disapointed you must have been, as like you said, you can run. The tri bike  takes a bit of time getting used to. I have ridden the bike course that you did three times (two were during races). The wind on Diagonal Parkway can be tough.  Especially  when you just want to finish. Glad that you felt better at the end. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Sunset Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed