Peregrine Charities
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 13s
Overall Rank = 75/85
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

I went to the Expo and got in line to pick up my packet. As I am standing there, I see two short guys standing by a table. One of the guys is hitting on every woman that walks by and the other is kind of picking his nose and looking around like he is lost. I was curious.

I got my packet and walked over by the two guys and they had a video playing. I introduced myself and it turned out that it was BT's djdavey and ScoobysDad. We chatted for a while and then they snaked me out of $20 for some movie they had made.
Now, my original reaction was, you know, what you guys do in the privacy of your own hotel room is fine, but I don't want to see the video. They explained that it was actually a movie about Triathlon, so I paid the $20 because it looked like Dave was about to eat his hand and I was afraid they didn't have any dough.
Event warmup:

I ran about 1/2 mile. Swimming and biking would have been more trouble than they were worth and I was in the first wave, so I just went down by the dock to get ready. I am standing there and I noted that the sun was positioned in a way that you could not see the swim bouys at all. I said to the guy I was standing near that I wondered how far off course I would get trying to sight. We started to chat and up walks ScoobysDad. The guy I am talking to asks him if he is from BT. He says yes. I said, so am I. The guy I was talking to said - I am Noz. Soon, djdavey showed up and we had a BT revival meeting right there by the water. Then the swim started and I didn't see Noz again until I crossed the finish line. He was already showered and dressed in fresh clothes.
Swim
  • 23m 55s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just need to work on my swimming, but I have been faster in my last two races than I have ever been, so I am making progress.
What would you do differently?:

You mean other than swim more than once a week for the last two months? Nada.
Transition 1
  • 04m 28s
Comments:

Rumor is that there was talk of the volunteers setting up a cot for me in transition. Two races in a row I have struggled getting my wetsuit off. It also took me a little longer to put on my arm warmers and I had a little bit of an issue clipping my helmet on.

Leave off the arm warmers. They weren't needed. I think I am going to have myself submerged in baby oil before my next wetsuit race so it just slithers off.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 32s
  • 15.8 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a small knee injury about three weeks ago that has kept me from doing much over an hour workout on either the bike or the run. I was very concerned that if I rode the bike hard (like a sprint should be) that I would end up walking the run, so I took it easy on the bike.

This was a little complicated by the fact that I had pasta the night before for dinner and it didn't sit right in my stomach. Saturday before we went to sleep I told my wife that my dinner didn't agree with me. She asked if that meant that she should sleep with a gas mask on. She got her ansswer almost as quickly as she asked it and I din't have to say a word. Aye Carumba.

Anyway, as I am riding along at about mile 4 I start to burp these painful burps. Next thing you know, one of the painful burps is accompanied by a bitter somewhat chunky fluid to the back of my throat. I keep moving and take a drink from the gatorade I have on the bike. HUGE MISTAKE. Here comes what can no longer be referred to as a burp and I end up spitting some junk out. I travel on. I get to the turnaround and start pushiung harder as it is downhill and a little easier. Right around mile 9 we have a repeat of the burp scenario - save the mistaken drink of gatorade. It was very nice.
Got back into the park and my legs felt good, got out of my shoes easily, jumped off the bike and headed into transition.

Ignore all this nutrition jibber jabber. Next race I am having my good ole American Burger. I could have pushed the bike harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

It was tough to get my shoes on my feet becasue they were still kind of wet and cold. Otherwise, everything was pretty good.

Not sure how, but I have to get my shoes on a little faster. I need to shave 30 seconds here.
Run
  • 37m 41s
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Out of transition I had some tightness in my right hip that took a little while to shake. I have long legs and I need to take a full stride to take advantage of that. I couldn't with the tight hip. I pushed on though and did the first mile in 13:42. I knew I needed to pick it up but the hip was really bothering me. Right when it was getting tough I went by the aid station at mile 1. They were having a blast. They had set up the Margaritaville rest stop and had music playing and the women were wearing grass skirts. It was hilarious. It really picked my spirits up and I started to stretch out. They had another water station at around the 1.25 mile mark as you veered onto the trail, but I passed on water and went to the turnaround point. I noticed that one of the officials, and a friend of mine, was sitting there on his mountain bike talking to the girls that were there. I turned and he said something about giving me a 4 minute penalty for cutting the course. I hollered back that if he knew how to write, I would be worrried. Just as I was coming back onto the park road he caught up with me on the bike and asked me how the race was, if I saw any problems and other things. I told him it was good and everyone seemed pretty spread out. He told me that he gave an overtaken penalty to some guy from Wisconsin but he really just gave it to him becasue he heard him bad-mouthing Brett Favre. He peeled away to go to the debreifing and I got back to Margaritaville. I told them that they can't call it Margaritaville if they don't serve Margaritas and they put a lei around my neck and I kept running. I was 25:36 at mile 2 so I had picked it up. The knee was not bothering me so I decided to set a goal to do a 12 minute last mile. Missed it by 5 seconds with a 37:41.

Push it a little more from the start to work out the hip. Is that what I should do? I have never had that before.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and ate a banana and drank some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to keep building base and getting stronger.

Event comments:

This is a well-organized race that needs to get some exposure. It is all for a great cause and they go full bore. There was a little bit of a struggle getting the awards all set up and organized that caused a delay and the post-race food could have been a little better, but it is and will be a good race in the future.

How many races have you been to with a hot tub that you can sit in after your race?

Additionally, race awards were given away by Miss Iowa, who has the wave down perfectly, BTW.

Last updated: 2010-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:55 | 880 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 0/85
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion Full
Course: Out and back. I was concerned about sighting, but there was a line from the start to the bouy with noodles on it the entire way. I just kept it on my left and it was pretty simple.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:28
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:32 | 15.8 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: This is a pretty straighforward out and back course. It looks fairly flat but doesn't feel flat when you ride it. My Garmin shows that it is not flat at all but has a steady incline all the way out to the turn around and a steady decline all the wway back in. It was hard to ride becasue you thought it was flat, but it wasn't and it kind of messed with your head.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:41 | 03 miles | 12m 34s  min/mile
Course: This is a flat and really nice course, some of it on park road and some on a nice little trail that winds through the woods. It was really an enjoyable run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 6:05 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: Peregrine Charities Triathlon

2010-09-27 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3120498

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Peregrine Charities Triathlon
I knew that ref must have been a ViQueens fan.

Great to meet you, John! Way to stick it out despite the pasta problems. I'm just glad I wasn't biking behind ya!

You're always welcome up here in Wisconsin despite being married to a Bears fan.

Oh, and I'm not short. Dave's short. But I'm not short. Especially when I'm around Dave.
2010-09-28 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
great meeting you this weekend!  sorry i didn't find you after the race.  i am anxious to see how you will attach a hamburger to your bike.

great job on sunday!  hope you warm up! 
2010-10-03 2:54 AM

User image

Melon Presser
I volunteer to slather you in, um, lubricant before your next race => no wetsuit issues.

Well done and congratulations!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peregrine Charities Triathlon Rss Feed