Purdue Triathlon Club
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 49m 37s
Overall Rank = 135/135
Age Group = 24-29
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

No breakfast (I do horrid without an empty stomach), just some powerade. Showered (I know, odd right? but it calms me down and wakes me up). I liked that I had my bike racked and bag packed so after the shower I just threw on my swimsuit and old sweatshirt and was off.
Event warmup:

Rode about 1.5mi to race site. Stood around and shivered for about 1.75 hours while I watched everyone else put on a wetsuit...doh!
Swim
  • 50m 32s
  • 1750 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok I think I had a strong swim, I freestyled the whole way. Where I sucked was sighting. Ended up on opposite shore once. Spend most time zig-zagging back and forth. Found self actually swimming greater than 90 degrees off-course more than once. I swear I swam about 2000m total.
What would you do differently?:

Sight sight sight sight and also practice more open water swimming. I really worked hard on swimming though (in the pool), i could hardly do 150m freestyle in the Tri-Noodle so I'm proud I did the whole 1500m(+) freestyle today. Consider wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

I ran all the way up that big hill after the swim! My primary goal was to get my heart rate stabilized prior to the bike. It was so cold so I dried off a bit.

Hustle, I guess. Oh and blow my nose. I had sniffles the whole darn bike ride.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 58s
  • 25 miles
  • 15.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Not bad, honestly. I improved my sprint time by a lot. I was pretty pleased with my bike time, thought it was about the extent of my effort.

Get a better bike. :) Practice the course correctly. Also I adjusted my seat at the last minute which didn't benefit me on the bike but hurt me a lot on the run. See run note for details.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Again, getting heart rate down prior to run. Finally blew half the lake out of my nose (gross I know) which made me feel better.

Hustle I guess. I changed shirts since I had to get my other shirt on which had my number. A racing belt probably would have helped here.
Run
  • 1h 18m 27s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok I put too much for drinking since I had cramps in calves, so I slowed to get gatorade at 3 stations. The problem was 1) I already had to pee really bad and 2) the gatorade was SO watered down I think I got like 2 electrolytes per cup, it was like water with a sprinkle of gatorade powder. May have actually exacerabated calves.

Sooo as I mentioned I switched up my seat (reclined back one click, down about 1/2") before I raced. I did this b/c my shoulders had terrible pain so I thought if I wasn't pushing myself backwards so much this would help. Didn't help my shoulder, still had horrible pain, but my hips, glutes, and hamstrings were toast when I tried to run. It was all I could do to keep one foot in front of the other. I didn't walk, but as you can see my running pace was slower than molasses. So lesson learned = no last minute changes. Also probably more time trial practicing.
Post race
Warm down:

Road back to vehicle. Chatted with friends. Felt sorry for myself for my DFL performance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Better pre-race nutrition
2. Learn how to sight/open water practice
3. No last minute changes to bike
4. Need better bike. :)

Event comments:

I put 5 on mental effort because I realized I was in DFL and seriously considered bailing on at least 8 different occasions. Glad I didn't - kept reminding myself that my first Olympic (and only 2nd tri ever) should have a goal of finishing, nothing else.. Sorry for everyone who waited around for me to finish. I would totally do it again, besides, I have a score to settle ;)

Last updated: 2010-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:32 | 1750 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/135
Performance: Below average
Suit: Speedo bathing suit
Course: Out n back, two turns
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:34:58 | 25 miles | 15.80 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Looking at the photos, I am the only fool on a mountain bike. Hence my last place I guess. I was actually proud about the bike, I studied the course well beforehand.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: The course was posted incorrectly on the website so I practiced the "loop" backwards twice. It was fine as far as orientation goes, but I wish I would have been able to experience the hills to get shifting down correctly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:18:27 | 06.2 miles | 12m 39s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Neighborhood/terrain run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 7:01 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: 9th Annual Boilerman Triathlon

2010-09-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3120562

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: 9th Annual Boilerman Triathlon
Ok Michelle- first of all- HUGE HIGH FIVE for no wetsuit. That is truly amazing!! Wow! Next year, we are definitely getting you involved in our OWS practice. But do not discredit yourself. I was DFL in the water last year, but I was so happy that I freestyled the WHOLE way. That's huge! Take your victories where you can!!
Also, your bike- since you've conquered an OLY on a mountain bike (way to go on that too!), you are ready for a road or a tri bike. You'll blow your times right out of the water just by doing that. I can't believe you did the race with a mountain bike. That's awesome! You are not a fool!! You are one tough cookie!! I wouldn't have ever have done that! Amazing!!
When you ran in, you looked so strong! And look at the applause and cheering you got!! That was incredible!! DFL is not a bad thing! Just think, you set a new PR for the Oly distance and you will only get better! You go girl!! Glad to have you in our club!!

Edited by nuttysami123 2010-09-28 9:38 AM
2010-09-28 9:43 AM

User image

New user

Louisville, KY
Don't get down on yourself! Everyone has to start somewhere and doing an Oly distance for your second race isn't easy! Keep working hard this winter and you will come back strong next year.

Keep in mind that most people you know could come nowhere close to finishing this race!! Awesome job!
2010-09-28 11:53 AM

User image

Regular
Thank you guys so much for the words of encouragement...  I have to keep reminding myself that it was only mid-July when I found out at all about what would be my first sprint (the TriNoodle) and I liked it so well I wanted to do an Oly.  Before then, I had no sense of what this was all about (not like I do now though, LOL!)  I guess I have to remember that I've come a long way in 10 weeks...

High five, I've got a big smilie face for this afternoon!!!  Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 9th Annual Boilerman Triathlon Rss Feed