General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Sprint Triathlon/Kids Triathlon Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-27 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Subject: New Sprint Triathlon/Kids Triathlon Suggestions

I have somehow become a race director for a sprint triathlon next summer.  The tri will benefit the local swim team.  I am requesting all of your likes/dislikes regarding triathlons that you have participated in. In other words, if you will definitely return to a race, why?

I am open to any additional suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

2010-09-29 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3120765

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
Subject: RE: New Sprint Triathlon/Kids Triathlon Suggestions
I am a newbie with only 4 sprint tri's under my belt. But i will gladly give you my thougths.

First off I think a kids tri would be fantastic. My three kids did one this past June and they loved it. But if you do it you need all the bells an whistles that the sprint tri has. Bibs; timing chip; transition area with bike racks. finish line etc. Please don't just have the kids run two laps around the parking lot. I have seen that many times and its just crap IMO.

Now what I liked about my tri's was

1. Good Organization
2. Having enough volunteers to help with check in; marking and general questions.
3. A good marked layout of the race. Many will be doing it for the first time and good signs with direction arrows goes a long way.
4. A good overall race layout. Make sure the swim; bike and run routes are  good. Not all uphill or downhill.
5. Nice goody bags and prizes for the group winners.
6. Good food and drink at the end of the race.
7. Quick posting of the results after the race.

That's all I have for now. Good Luck and perhaps you can contact another race director and get their input.
2010-09-29 9:27 AM

My kids have done a number of tris but we decided to quit doing them due to failure of the race organizers to enforce any standard tri rules.  It became rather annoying to have two parents per kid in transition assisting their kids.  It kind of made for chaos and upsetting/dangerous for the kids who actually did the race themselves, which is the whole point.  If you are going to do a kids race, be very clear up front that parents cannot assist and then have ample volunteers in transition to help with helmets, bike issues, etc.
2010-09-29 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
As a lot of people have mentioned on BT, see if you can offer a no-frills cheap-o entry, and a full-blown swag entry. 

Like, registration is $X, registration with t-shirt, swag-bag, and goodies is $X+15.

Not sure if that makes for a registration nightmare, but just a suggestion.

Oh, and a reason I'd NEVER return to a race: lack of adequate bathrooms. I was in a 700+ person Tri that was about $70 to register, and they only had the 4 stalls of the park bathroom available - no port-a-potties! Total deal-breaker. The same tri didn't have enough volunteers at check-in, and we waited over an hour at check-in the day before the race to actually get through the line.

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2010-09-29 9:35 AM
2010-09-29 9:47 AM

User image

Master
I agree with most of the previous suggestions but the one thing about kid races is they seen to leave out the 14-17 year olds. I agree that most kids in that age group are mature enough to compete at the sprint distance but some are not. Most of the kid tris are limited to under 14. I also think it is important that every kid get an award. (I almost hate to mention this due to some recent discussions)
2010-09-29 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Since it's a sprint and sure to be full of newbs I'd say:

1.  Adequate communication leading up to the race.  Maybe an update every week or 2 weeks.  Just so someone who registered a couple months out doesn't start to freak a little.  Could be as simple as an update on field capacity.

2.  Depending on the size of the city distinctly various locations for packet pickup.  I live in one burb of Houston and if I had to drive to the opposite side for packet pickup I may have an issue.

3.  Detailed race packet.  Again, sure to be a bunch of newbs.

4.  Lowish entry fee.  I can actually do w/o the swag. 

5.  Make sure all safety concerns are covered by trained personnel. 

That's about it.  I personally am just there to race and the hoopla surrounding it is just background noise.

2010-09-29 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3123593

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
kath9dav - 2010-09-29 10:27 AM My kids have done a number of tris but we decided to quit doing them due to failure of the race organizers to enforce any standard tri rules.  It became rather annoying to have two parents per kid in transition assisting their kids.  It kind of made for chaos and upsetting/dangerous for the kids who actually did the race themselves, which is the whole point.  If you are going to do a kids race, be very clear up front that parents cannot assist and then have ample volunteers in transition to help with helmets, bike issues, etc.

Agree 100% Can't have parents in transition area. That was the rule in the one I did with my kids. They had volunteers in to help them.
2010-09-29 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
My daughter did her first 2 this summer: IronKids (her first, which she loved, had OWS), and a local super-sprint open to all age levels w/ a pool swim.  She did well in both, but an incident during the pool swim of the super-sprint bothered me. 

The super-sprint was a 250 yd. pool swim: all athletes lined up based on their estimated completion time that they submitted during registration, and went off every 3 seconds.  Each athlete had to swim a length, touch the wall, go under the line divider, and push off the wall of the next lane.  Interesting to see a bunch of swimmers in a serpentine pattern.

The BIG problem was that midway my daughter got caught in a bottleneck behind a few slower swimmers in the lane: this adult swimming behind my daughter forced his way through the logjam by swimming OVER my daughter (the second guy behind the first adult tried the same stunt), instead of waiting to pass at the wall.  She later said she got away by going deep, but now she's persuaded herself that she doesn't like the swim part, even though after the incident she got pissed and started passing other swimmers.  Luckily she didn't panic.

My point: this is a friendly triathlon, not water polo.  If you have an "introductory" type triathlon with a pool swim that mixes adults and kids, you need a rule that says that you can only pass AROUND a swimmer, not OVER them, else you risk DQ.
2010-09-29 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3123593

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
kath9dav - 2010-09-29 8:27 AM My kids have done a number of tris but we decided to quit doing them due to failure of the race organizers to enforce any standard tri rules.  It became rather annoying to have two parents per kid in transition assisting their kids.  It kind of made for chaos and upsetting/dangerous for the kids who actually did the race themselves, which is the whole point.  If you are going to do a kids race, be very clear up front that parents cannot assist and then have ample volunteers in transition to help with helmets, bike issues, etc.

I feel the opposite in this.  We have a few kids triathlons to choose from in our area.  We have our kids (8 & 11) participate in the one where parents ARE allowed to help the kids through transitions.  They like seeing us and we like helping them.  It's very low key and inexpensive.  Not timed.  All the kids get a transition bag with a shirt, water bottle and a certificate when they finish.  It's a great experience for the kids and they have done it the past 2-years and we'll be back for the same one next year!
2010-09-29 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3123738

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
windandsurf - 2010-09-29 9:09 AM My daughter did her first 2 this summer: IronKids (her first, which she loved, had OWS), and a local super-sprint open to all age levels w/ a pool swim.  She did well in both, but an incident during the pool swim of the super-sprint bothered me. 

The super-sprint was a 250 yd. pool swim: all athletes lined up based on their estimated completion time that they submitted during registration, and went off every 3 seconds.  Each athlete had to swim a length, touch the wall, go under the line divider, and push off the wall of the next lane.  Interesting to see a bunch of swimmers in a serpentine pattern.

The BIG problem was that midway my daughter got caught in a bottleneck behind a few slower swimmers in the lane: this adult swimming behind my daughter forced his way through the logjam by swimming OVER my daughter (the second guy behind the first adult tried the same stunt), instead of waiting to pass at the wall.  She later said she got away by going deep, but now she's persuaded herself that she doesn't like the swim part, even though after the incident she got pissed and started passing other swimmers.  Luckily she didn't panic.

My point: this is a friendly triathlon, not water polo.  If you have an "introductory" type triathlon with a pool swim that mixes adults and kids, you need a rule that says that you can only pass AROUND a swimmer, not OVER them, else you risk DQ.

my question; WTF was an adult doing in the pool during a kids tri?  I would have had some words with the guy.
2010-09-29 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3123864

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
rayd, it wasn't a kids tri per se -- the super-sprint was open to ALL age levels, placement in line based on your estimated swim pace.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Sprint Triathlon/Kids Triathlon Suggestions Rss Feed