Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Thoughts on man winning the Disney Princess Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-09-30 2:34 AM
in reply to: #3125224

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: RE: Thoughts on man winning the Disney Princess Half Marathon
Discriminate against men, oh bloody el i get so tired of this argument.  As long as we live in a male dominated society where women still make 81 cents for every dollar a woman makes have as many "women's only" races, Curves establishments as you want

Men, enter at your own risk, but the whiny-arse argument about "OH if I started a Men's Only Race" whah whah, things have been Men Only forever.  Get over yourselves.

If he wants to win a pink tiara or whatever it is fine, but he shouldn't be surprised by the negative reaction either.

2010-09-30 2:36 AM
in reply to: #3124913

User image

I wonder what Shannon Faulkner would make of it.
2010-09-30 2:58 AM
in reply to: #3124932

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
UWMadTri - 2010-09-29 7:16 PM If it's a race for women only, male times should not be official. Pretty simple.

From the Disney Website:

Think you've got the commitment, perseverance and determination to be a true princess? Disney's Princess Half Marathon gives you the chance to prove it.  Grab your best friends (or woodland creatures) and register today for a royal quest through 13.1 miles of the Walt Disney World® Resort in Florida.

This race experience is fit for a princess earning her glass running slippers or a woman who runs her kingdom already. Gather your girlfriends for a magical getaway now, so you can all earn your Princess Half Marathon Tiara Finisher Medal!

Disney's Princess Half Marathon features:
  • Women's focused half marathon
  • A course through Magic Kingdom® Park including Cinderella Castle and Epcot®
  • Disney Princess themed Entertainment on-course and maybe a visit from Prince Charming and friends
  • Event Weekend Transportation is included if you stay at one of the Event's Host Resorts

My wife goes down with a dozen or so ladies.  I would never encroach, because it is their ladies' getaway.  Not because the race excludes me, because it doesn't.

(I added the bold and italics to their words)

2010-09-30 4:55 AM
in reply to: #3125228

User image

Melon Presser
DanielG - 2010-09-30 3:36 PM I wonder what Shannon Faulkner would make of it.

Wow, she's kind of disappeared, hasn't she? I hope she's having a satisfactory life somewhere -- for whatever one's personal opinions regarding how things turned out, she's a landmark, and to me, an incredibly brave woman.

As for the HM dealio ... he entered and won fair and square. If the organizers/RD didn't want this to happen, they should have been more mindful in setting up categories.

Do I think he SHOULD have done this? Actually, I don't really care, one way or another.

I actually really dug the women's tri I did (it was my second). But I dug it for the same reasons that make me tear up when faster finishers of the Honolulu Marathon run BACK UPHILL to cheer and encourage the slower finishers in.

I'm queasy about discrimination whatever form it may come in.

I'm sad women only make 81 cents to the dollar of men (it's that high, already?) I'm also sad that otherwise equally capable fat people, ugly people, and short people suffer a similar fate.

I also think that U.S. society, on the whole, is a little too gender-focused ... and that in turn, it's a little too male/female, gay/straight, this/that. In my experience, life is not quite that neatly categorized.

If people identifying as men want to wear skirts and makeup to work, awesome. If people identifying as women want to wear suits and ties in professional settings where higher-end clothing is expected, great. (I kinda wish people were just allowed to wear what's comfortable, including nothing if they wish, but I realize I'm out there).
2010-09-30 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3125255

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

TriAya - 2010-09-30 5:55 AM I also think that U.S. society, on the whole, is a little too gender-focused ... and that in turn, it's a little too male/female, gay/straight, this/that. In my experience, life is not quite that neatly categorized.

I disagree with this, Yanti.  Granted I haven't been everywhere but when I returned to the U.S. after a year of traveling to predominatly developing countries, I was SO grateful for the progress women have made in this country.  Seems to me women are much more categorized in other places than here.  In a country that shall go unnamed, every time we'd order dinner, my husband's food would come first and I was pretty much dismissed....finally hubster would order my food first and they'd be puzzled when they'd bring the food and I'd take the plate!

Read Half the Sky, a moving book about the plight of women around the world. 

Do I care he ran the HM?  No, I actually thought it was comical that he wanted to brag to everyone that he beat 30 other guys and a bunch of women running....

I just get a little riled up when men trip over their dicks to talk about how unfair it is that there's "women's only" this or that, when in TWO THOUSAND AND TEN there's still so much subtle, and often blatant discrimination.  I work in a federal court, and law schools are churning out so many smart and bright young women, I walk out into hearings and corporations still send in a sea of WHITE MEN to try their cases.

2010-09-30 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3125227

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
travljini - 2010-09-30 3:34 AM Discriminate against men, oh bloody el i get so tired of this argument.  As long as we live in a male dominated society where women still make 81 cents for every dollar a woman makes have as many "women's only" races, Curves establishments as you want

Men, enter at your own risk, but the whiny-arse argument about "OH if I started a Men's Only Race" whah whah, things have been Men Only forever.  Get over yourselves.

If he wants to win a pink tiara or whatever it is fine, but he shouldn't be surprised by the negative reaction either.

I am sorry but to be fair a large portion of the wage difference between men and women is due to women taking time out of the work force to focus on children.  More and More men are doing that these days and will be wage penalized just the same.

2010-09-30 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3125227

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
travljini - 2010-09-30 1:34 AM Discriminate against men, oh bloody el i get so tired of this argument.  As long as we live in a male dominated society where women still make 81 cents for every dollar a woman makes have as many "women's only" races, Curves establishments as you want

so why do you hate men?
2010-09-30 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3125234

User image

NC
pga_mike - 2010-09-30 3:58 AM 

My wife goes down with a dozen or so ladies.  I would never encroach, because it is their ladies' getaway.  Not because the race excludes me, because it doesn't.

I think you're just chicken.

2010-09-30 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3125420

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
rayd - 2010-09-30 9:04 AM
travljini - 2010-09-30 1:34 AM Discriminate against men, oh bloody el i get so tired of this argument.  As long as we live in a male dominated society where women still make 81 cents for every dollar a woman makes have as many "women's only" races, Curves establishments as you want

so why do you hate men?

Are you trying to turn this into the breastfeeding thread Pt II?

2010-09-30 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3125431

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
trinnas - 2010-09-30 7:09 AM
rayd - 2010-09-30 9:04 AM

so why do you hate men?

Are you trying to turn this into the breastfeeding thread Pt II?

well, maybe just 10-pages...
2010-09-30 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3125210

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
UWMadTri - 2010-09-30 1:45 AM

Incidentally, my sample size of women that don't want to be physically fit around men are the approximately 4 million members of Curves gym.

As much as I like your quotes within quotes style of responding I just grabbed this one since it sort of grabbed me. Using membership statistics for a women's gym is a bit of a red herring unless you can provide membership statistics for a comparable men's gym.

2010-09-30 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3125365

User image

Melon Presser
travljini - 2010-09-30 8:32 PM

TriAya - 2010-09-30 5:55 AM I also think that U.S. society, on the whole, is a little too gender-focused ... and that in turn, it's a little too male/female, gay/straight, this/that. In my experience, life is not quite that neatly categorized.

I disagree with this, Yanti.  Granted I haven't been everywhere but when I returned to the U.S. after a year of traveling to predominatly developing countries, I was SO grateful for the progress women have made in this country.  Seems to me women are much more categorized in other places than here.  In a country that shall go unnamed, every time we'd order dinner, my husband's food would come first and I was pretty much dismissed....finally hubster would order my food first and they'd be puzzled when they'd bring the food and I'd take the plate!

In many developing countries, for much of the population, that's true.

Doesn't change my opinion that in U.S. society, it's still too gender focused. That focus on a gender dichotomy (and other dichotomies I mentioned), in my opinion, contributes to maintaining the schism (maybe even creating new ones).

In other words, I recommend paying attention to "human" and, in the workplace, for example, "qualified" rather than arbitrary categories.

Read Half the Sky, a moving book about the plight of women around the world.

This is a phenomenal read, not expensive, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I don't think we fundamentally disagree on anything ... or am I wrong?

Edited by TriAya 2010-09-30 9:52 AM
2010-09-30 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
He's like the guy who sued Hooters to be a waitress.  He's trying to make a point just to make a point.  And he's a d-bag.  We all know the point of these women races.  So is it legal via the letter of the rules? Sure.  But why be an about it?
2010-09-30 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
travljini - 2010-09-30 5:32 AM

I just get a little riled up when men trip over their dicks to talk about how unfair it is that there's "women's only" this or that, when in TWO THOUSAND AND TEN there's still so much subtle, and often blatant discrimination.

And yet this is wrong, and things are being done to address this, both in law and awareness. So I'm going to disagree that the solution is "we have been screwed up till now, so now we are going to screw others".

I work in a federal court, and law schools are churning out so many smart and bright young women, I walk out into hearings and corporations still send in a sea of WHITE MEN to try their cases.

And yet some time ago there were zero women in the field, right? Not fast enough for you? I agree. But it is changing.

Now what's the equivalent of your " trip over their dicks" comment? perhaps I should say :" It pisses me off that women keep flapping their boob's and whining how unfair the world is, and then go out and do the same thing".
2010-09-30 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
travljini - 2010-09-30 8:32 AM

I just get a little riled up when men trip over their dicks to talk about how unfair it is that there's "women's only" this or that, when in TWO THOUSAND AND TEN there's still so much subtle, and often blatant discrimination.  I work in a federal court, and law schools are churning out so many smart and bright young women, I walk out into hearings and corporations still send in a sea of WHITE MEN to try their cases.

Yeah...why would they corporation want to send in the most experienced lawyers, who happen to be white men, in to try their cases.   Once the newly graduated women or men lawyers get up to speed and prove their worth...they will get sent in.

Show me a study that compares the amount of time at the job, time taken off (for whatever reason) vs pay and THEN considers the sex.  I'm pretty sure that the whole 81 cents on the dollar thing will be debunked fairly quickly. 

Just like the whole harp about women CEO's.  Yes...there are fewer...because it took those guys who happen to be white 30-40 years to get there.  Check back in about 20 years and lets discuss...
2010-09-30 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I think it's just pretty sad that a race organizer can't hold either a "Women Only" or a "Men Only" race without fear of litigation and protests.

2010-09-30 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3124999

User image

Extreme Veteran
Renee - 2010-09-29 9:03 PM I think that if they accept his race fee, then he's entitled to race. And win.

I do not dig all-female race events. Too much estrogen. And I hate the "We're too sweet to compete" vibe. I did one and that was enough to turn me off to doing any others.

I read a race report several years ago about an all woman's tri in Orlando (I forget which one). The race report writer was describing how the announcer was, more or less, discouraging a competitive attitude towards the swim start. It was very "We're here to support each other and form bonds, no need to tear into the water." No, we're not. We're here to race. Get on with it.

Yep...call it a race and it is a...race. Otherwise pick a name ("fun run," "event"...)

Gee...an aggressively competitive Buddhist (did I remember that right?). If so, I find that just too cool.
2010-09-30 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3125224

User image

Expert
r1237h - 2010-09-30 1:34 AM

I can never figure out the whole quotes thingee, so I will answer point by point.

The specific fallacies of your logic was assuming that I was defending the men in the race when I didn't ever mention them. In fact, I didn't even refer to them.

I'm torn between a semantic debate and the debate at hand, but I will readily admit that I made a poor assumption and leave it at that. I do apologize for that again.

ETA: Damnit, I got into a semantic debate anyway. Sorry! :p

It was a race that both genders were allowed to partake in, like it or not. Therefore, hard as it may be to accept, a winner, who is legally part of the race, is the winner. Even if the winner carries a Y chromosome (“gasp”!!!). This is not a case of sneaking into the race, for whatever reason, and violating a rule. He followed the rules, he paid the fee. Deal with the fact that he won.

Did you ever question the reason that a "women's focused" (thanks for the clarification poster who's name I currently forget!) marathon was not a "women's only" marathon? It's probably because people such as yourself would sue the race organizers. The clear intent of the race was to focus on women, as was evidenced by the .27% male participation rate. The intent is even clearer when you realize that there are no gender divisions. I'll touch on your moral outrage to this horrible act further down.

Just because something isn't illegal, or to avoid the double negative, just because something is legal, does not make it morally or ethically justified. I might be on a slippery slope if I try to frame this as a moral or ethical debate, but I really don't know how else to frame it. It's not an issue of legality, since it does not meet the criteria of being clear.

Discrimination is discrimination. You want to sugar coat it and make excuses, go right ahead. It was wrong, and still is, when done against women. Having women do it doesn't make it any better. And let's be honest, shall we? The reason that we don't have all male races is NOT simply because the majority group never has to assert itself, but because if that were to happen, the organizers would be in court before they could blink. And would you be leaping to their defence?

No, discrimination is NOT discrimination. There is discrimination that is protected by law, there is discrimination that is protected by social mores and norms, and there is discrimination that only philosophy classes should focus on. Your argument is of the latter. Was anyone offended by this? Was anyone injured by this? Yes, perhaps the guy that won and to a lesser extent, the other 29 racers, but that was their own fault. I see your counter to this being that it was "legal" for them to enter, but was it wise? No. It was legal out of necessity to prevent lawsuits.

Would I come to the defense of a group of race organizers that catered to male-only races? Yes, of course I would, assuming that they allowed women to enter the race. Would I be arguing if a woman won the race? Hell no, I'd be encouraging her to whip some male . Why? Because women have, ON AVERAGE (oh god, please don't crucify me for this statement) slower times than men.

Which brings me to another point that perhaps I should clarify, if I have not yet: I've got no problem with the guy entering, I've got a problem with the guy winning. It's bad form on his part.

Since I don't know 30 women, let alone more, who believe in discriminating against men, I guess this race never took place, according to your logic. As for men who are uncomfortable running with women, I'm not too crazy about it myself. Not enough for your statistics, so you will have to manage with only one example.

Talk about fallacies of logic...whoa. You made a point. I asked you to back that point up with evidence. I did not ask a you to prove whether or not this race actually occurred. That's a philosophical debate for people much smarter than us.

On the other hand, I personally don't know any woman who has a problem running with men, so I guess this isn't true, unless proven otherwise. Just post the sworn testimonials of over 30 women. As for your attempt at humour with the Curves membership, I know enough people who go to women only gym because it is convenient, or for other reasons having nothing to do with men. Try again.

My rather poorly constructed argument is that more women will want to avoid working out in a situation where they will feel uncomfortable (e.g. ogled, judged, the perception of either of those things, regardless of the reality) than will men. Men do not have the same problems of discrimination with women as women do.

Furthering this point is a kind of out-there question as to how many women participated specifically in this race, or races that only include women in general, BECAUSE there were no men involved? If there is at least 1, then I am personally satisfied with the race existing as such. We live in a society where physical fitness has become a growing problem and if a woman will be motivated to do such because she feels safe or unintimidated by the lack of men in the field, that's freaking awesome.

My condolences that the crowd and organizers were stunned that a man dared win. Perhaps they should grow up.

I'm a bit more worried about the hubris of the men participating, personally.

As for the University of Madison-Wisconsin's degree's for Afro-American Studies and Women's Studies, are men or non-Afro-American bared from participating? Are they allowed to have good grades? Are the teachers and other students “stunned” if men or non-Afro-American take part in these classes, and do well? Then no, I have no problem with these degree's. As for the degrees for Anglo-Saxon Studies or Rich White Guy Studies, I personally would not be interested, but I would object to a ruling that such degree's are not allowed.

Good points. Regarding the allowance of those degrees...do you honestly think they would ever pass muster to be included in a curriculum? I suppose you could see the view that History is essentially an Anglo-Saxon/Rich White Guy Studies, so maybe they already have. :p

That whole me being against discrimination thingee you seem to have a problem grasping.

My biggest concern is your view of this as discrimination, with respect to ACTUAL cases of discrimination. All of the fluff within it is merely...well, fluff.

This really is the most important question to me: Do you place the same weight for this form of discrimination as you do for discrimination against minority groups? If you want to ignore everything else I said, please at least respond to this.

Edited by UWMadTri 2010-09-30 10:53 AM
2010-09-30 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3125847

User image

Expert
scoobysdad - 2010-09-30 10:44 AM I think it's just pretty sad that a race organizer can't hold either a "Women Only" or a "Men Only" race without fear of litigation and protests.

I agree with this approximately 150,324%. Our society has become absurdly litigious to the point of obscuring the real problems that we encounter. You know, like dudes winning chick races.
2010-09-30 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3125428

User image

Veteran
Goosedog - 2010-09-30 6:08 AM
pga_mike - 2010-09-30 3:58 AM 

I think you're just chicken.

I'd be.
2010-09-30 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3125070

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Renee - 2010-09-29 9:54 PM
ETA: If I'm toeing the line at a race start and the announcer says "Let's not race into the water. Kumbaya and all that jazz ... " I'm going to be insulted. It's insulting to suggest that women are incapable of competing with each other AND maintaining a good attitude and a hold on their emotions. We aren't weak, mamby-pamby creatures that need to be coddled during a COMPETITION. 

Thank you!  As a Dad of three, two of 'em daughters, I don't think there's a disconnect between competition, good sportspersonship and politeness.  My wife is a very successful executive and I can't imagine her entering in to or accepting a similar construct in the business world.

2010-09-30 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3125665

User image

Expert
mrbbrad - 2010-09-30 9:28 AM
UWMadTri - 2010-09-30 1:45 AM

Incidentally, my sample size of women that don't want to be physically fit around men are the approximately 4 million members of Curves gym.

As much as I like your quotes within quotes style of responding I just grabbed this one since it sort of grabbed me. Using membership statistics for a women's gym is a bit of a red herring unless you can provide membership statistics for a comparable men's gym.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with your analysis, but I guess my point is that a men's gym by intent doesn't exist. I know Gold's Gym tends to be heavily dominated by men who drink baby llama blood for breakfast and would have to spot me to lift the lightest barbells, but it doesn't specifically exclude women as does Curves. Men are not allowed to go to Curves and there are women that go there for that very reason.

Your point does still stand. It's pretty bad as a proper debate.
2010-09-30 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3125861

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
UWMadTri - 2010-09-30 11:52 AM

My rather poorly constructed argument is that more women will want to avoid working out in a situation where they will feel uncomfortable (e.g. ogled, judged, the perception of either of those things, regardless of the reality) than will men. Men do not have the same problems of discrimination with women as women do.

So now men have to cater to how a small subset of women PERCEIVE how men are viewing them.  If they are uncomfortable, that's on them.  (kind of a throwback to the Breastfeeding thread...I know)

So you're saying, "Men...if you have a problem with it...that's your problem suck it up buttercup.  Women...if you have a problem with it, we will change things for you to feel more comfortable"
2010-09-30 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3125881

User image

Veteran
Spleen - 2010-09-30 9:01 AM
Renee - 2010-09-29 9:54 PM
ETA: If I'm toeing the line at a race start and the announcer says "Let's not race into the water. Kumbaya and all that jazz ... " I'm going to be insulted. It's insulting to suggest that women are incapable of competing with each other AND maintaining a good attitude and a hold on their emotions. We aren't weak, mamby-pamby creatures that need to be coddled during a COMPETITION. 

Thank you!  As a Dad of three, two of 'em daughters, I don't think there's a disconnect between competition, good sportspersonship and politeness.  My wife is a very successful executive and I can't imagine her entering in to or accepting a similar construct in the business world.

x 2. Except one daughter, and a wife who is VERY successful in her field. And always has been, whatever the field was.
2010-09-30 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3125764

User image

Expert
TriRSquared - 2010-09-30 10:06 AM He's like the guy who sued Hooters to be a waitress.  He's trying to make a point just to make a point.  And he's a d-bag.  We all know the point of these women races.  So is it legal via the letter of the rules? Sure.  But why be an about it?

I think I see some philosophical merit to the questions. It would make me happy if there was some sort of authority on the subject to moderate this and make salient points when I make stupid ones, because it really does become a part of the larger conversation of discrimination.

On a side note, I think it's important for people to understand Women's Rights (and any group of people that have been exposed to physical or emotional trauma) through the scope of trauma theory and collective memory. It really sheds new light on the argument.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Thoughts on man winning the Disney Princess Half Marathon Rss Feed  

of 5