Space Coast Triathletes
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 52s
Overall Rank = 64/300
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/21
Pre-race routine:

Usual, up at 4:40, coffee, banana and half a powerbar. Rode 5 miles to the event in teh pitch black darkness. Nice and cool, perfect race day temps for this time of the year.
Event warmup:

Nothing until they let us in the water and did ~200 yards. Water was warmer than the air temp.
Swim
  • 11m 4s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

No idea what the start to the ladder time was, looks like the watch got hit a bunch of times in the washing machine at the buoys and I missed T1. Time was only 16 second slower than last year and the T1 mat was mover ~ 40-50 yards closer to the bikes this year. Overall this was a good swim for me with a solid MOP finish.
What would you do differently?:

Just need to keep on swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

They need a "great" selection for overall grading, 4 out of 21 in T1, smoking! No socks this year really helped.

Not much.
Bike
  • 50m 33s
  • 15.9 miles
  • 18.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike CPU ride only time was 41:48 or 22.84mph which would be a new Sprint PR. WHY? I got my first ever flat in a race only 1.5 miles into the ride, a firecracker type pinch flat that sank my heart. Was also my first time using Latex tubes. I got up to speed right away after mounting and was passing a lot of people right off which required me to be on the left side of the road. The 1st three miles are on Pineapple ave which is in horrible shape and has a lot of little sharp buckles and splits in it (BTW its scheduled to be repaved after the race). Tire was down within 30 sec and I just couldn't believe it. Now here's the kicker. New tube in my bag and I put it in, bike road crew came up just as I was changing it and lent me the big pump. To make matters even worst, the valve was leaking air after I filled it and tightened it down, WOW! Road crew told me to relax and gave me a spare tube which I replaced again and this one worked as it should. Total time lost was 8:45 based on bike CPU and official time difference. Once I got cranking again I went hard as planned and was doing 21-22 into the wind and 24-25 down wind. Effort was perfect with HR a few below LT the whole time. Amazing though what being back ~9min does with the race bike traffic. I was passing so many people so quickly I had to really pay attention, move far to the left when passing and had to limit the slingshot passes as closing rate was too quick for most passes. Took feet out of the shoes at the top of EG bridge fro prep into T2.

Not sure what I could do, maybe a bit more air in the tire I guess. It was at 100psi and didn't want to go any higher with the tire max at 120.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Another smoking transition, again was 4/21. Approaching the dismount I was on the side of the bike with the leg over coasting in at speed. Jumped off into a full run stride with the bike and ran all the way to the rack. Sneakers went on without a hitch thanks to the Yankz and bodyglide I put on the feet earlier. Grabbed my race belt, visor and small water bottle and I was gone.

Nothing
Run
  • 27m 24s
  • 3.57 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The revised "5k" route is now ~ 3.57 miles. How they did this I can't understand, all they had to do was adjust the endpoint on the Causeway for the Sprint 5k and adjust the turn on Pineapple for the 10k.

More run training.
Post race
Warm down:

None, just walked around for a bit and dumped some ice cold water on my head. Found the family and friends and cheered the other participants on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall training and of course the flat tire.

Event comments:

Excellent race once again with perfect weather. They need to stop tinkering with the run courses though and nail them down with the right distance.

Last updated: 2010-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:04 | 440 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: semi rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:33 | 15.9 miles | 18.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/21
See comments :-(
Wind: Some
Course: Rectangle over 4 bridges, 2 big, 1 medium and 1 small. Rough road for first 3 mi, then all new and smooth. Headwind for first ~5 miles then crossing tailwind for ~9 and crossing headwind for the remainder.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:24 | 03.57 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/21
none, no mile markers that I saw for the "5k".
Course: New loop in EG then out and back over the EG bridge. The new little "mole hill at the end sure hurt!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-03 1:47 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Health First Triathlon
Flats suck Cry  Based on the official race results and bike CPU difference (8:45) I had 3rd place easily and would have had a battle on the run for 2nd being only 7 seconds behind.  Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

Edited by Donto 2010-10-03 1:57 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Health First Triathlon Rss Feed