Morgan’s Canoe & Outdoor Center
50sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 03m 53s
Overall Rank = 19/519
Age Group = Male/Female
Age Group Rank = 2/125
Event warmup:

We parked, got our stuff, met people we know, set up our area, walked to the canoe livery, got out stuff, walked to the water and got in a few minutes later with the 5 other canoes. Mike and Mary were in our group, and it was finally nice to hook up with people who like to do the same stuff we do.
Swim
  • 51h 48m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

This is CANOE instead of SWIM for this tri. We had a great time and we held on to our long standing record of NEVER....EVER being passed by ANYONE on this portion of the race. MALE/MALE canoes...NO ONE passes us! EVER! Two guy who started with us kept on our tails most of the time and even got beside us when we both got caught on rocks at a shallow point, but we got off first and hauled the mail! We continue to be the best freaking canoe team out there!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...we freaking rock...just try us!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 50m 42s
  • 17.58 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Biking is last in this TRI, so read the RUN part first, then come back to this. I jumped on the bike and made my way through the 3/4 mile area in the park before hitting the road. Can't really get up to speed here, just dodging people and making sure I didn't hit anyone. Off on the road and I pushed it pretty hard, but I could tell I had more in me. Not taking off in a "wave" of people you are competing against makes it hard to know HOW HARD to push. I rationalize in my mind that I KNOW I should be pushing myself to the limit here, but at the same time, I can't help pushing just as hard as NECESSARY as well. Good? Bad? I don't know. I do much better when my competition is surrounded near me and I know who they are. In this race, my competition is no where near me in time or distance. It's just a hard way to race. Anyhow, I passed loads and loads of people on this portion as well and was never passed. It's worth mentioning that the amount of "new" racers must have been enormous, since so many people were biking "wrong" and I had to yell and many more people than usual. I KNOW this isn't the "degree" of athletes I'm used to dealing with, but we received SO many emails on the proper way to approach this race, I gotta think that everyone must have completely disregarded them. Any who....I pushed pretty good until the last mile and came up on an honest to GAUD triathlete with a full disc wheel and aero helmet. I passed him and left him to cry in my wake! hehehehehehehe. Yea...I know...but those guys bug me. I came into the finish, dismounted and ran across the line with my bike.

Maybe push a tad harder for the rest of the ride...or not.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 38m 36s
  • 5.5 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

After the Canoe, Mary jumped out, dragged the boat up a bit and I leaped out, shed my life jacket, gave her a quick peck, then took off. First few yards are out of the woods, then you hit the road. It's a great course. Plenty of hills to challenge and hurt plenty of people. I had a great pace for this. I pushed, but not to my limit like a normal tri...knowing I still had a bike portion to contend with. I passed scores of people and was never passed on the run. I went up the DEVIL'S HILL at the end and kept it at a jog, but never walked. I hit my "transition" area, changed in about 25 seconds, leaped on my trusty stead, and hit the road.

Really....nothing. Geez...I'm 46 years old and was second overall in my catagory...what more can a guy really ask for?
Post race
Warm down:

Got right back on bike, went to our "transition area", grabbed Mary's and my bags, rode back to car, dumped everything, went back to wait for Mary...but not for very long at all.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing....I'm in the best shape of my life possibly.

Event comments:

This race is awesome, but I gotta say, the volunteers this year were the worst ever. Drink stations were bad, no one at some of the turns...even the cops didn't want to get out sometimes! Geez! Whatever. I survived and didn't get lost or dehydrated.

Last updated: 2010-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
51:48:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/125
Overall: 0/519
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Get in with 4 other canoes. Haul ass for 6 miles down stream. Avoid death.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:42 | 17.58 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/125
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Loop course mostly. Rough part on mile 14-16.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:36 | 05.5 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/125
Performance:
Course: Get out of canoe, run through woods, then on road for a long way, up and down some good hills, on to bike path, up uber steep trail hill, then to bike.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-03 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: Morgan’s Little Miami Triathlon

2010-10-04 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3130731

User image

Cincinnati
Subject: RE: Morgan’s Little Miami Triathlon

Great job, Baron! I was floored by the people riding 2 and 3 across. This was my first tri, but I read the email and my partner and I stayed single file, to the right, only passed when safe, and made sure to yield to cars.

I had a leaky back tire and had to stop twice to reinflate. I REALLY didn't want to patch/replace, so it was a neccessity.

I saw the guy with the disc, aero helmet, etc...he likes gear. Hell...if I could afford it, I'd probably look just like him.

I was ...*cough*...slower than you guys. However, I'm down almost 100 pounds since March and can't complain about a damn thing (okay...maybe the tire and the head wind). The best part is I will only get better at this.

See you in June??? Maybe October.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morgan’s Little Miami Triathlon Rss Feed