United States
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Started with a 7:00 wakeup and no breakfast, I took some NSAID at about 7:00, took a 5 Hour Shot about 7:30 and ate half my Power Bar. At 7:40 I registered and reviewed the course map. At 7:45 I started doing strides and some other warm-up drills. At 7:55 I headed to the starting line.
Run
  • 26m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I went thru the first mile at 7:45, the second mile at about 15:55 and a finishing time of 26:58. My average heart rate was 163 bpm with a max heart rate of 170. I finished 5th or 6th in the 5K but do not expect any results to be posted.
What would you do differently?:

At this point I plan to continue on with my Sprint Distance training plan. For the first 5 weeks I plan to focus on my running and see about getting my times to drop.
Post race
Warm down:

None. I grabbed a Gatorade went back to my car and changed out my shirt. At the day goes on I intend to ice my Achilles and roll out my right hamstring.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a sore left Achilles and to a much lesser degree a sore right Hamstring. If I am going to get faster I need to get my injuries under control and bring in some 5k specific speed work in the 5 weeks.

Event comments:

The race was what they advertised. A small group of runners and walkers on a measured course with limited support. It was there to see what you could do. It had a nice little course with a medium hill at the end to challenge your fitness. Not a bad starting place to work on my 5K times because all the courses are not going to be flat out and backs.

Last updated: 2010-10-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:58 | 03.11 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The course started on a ridge then following a gravel road that dropped into a park. We followed the south edge of the park until its west end. At this point we continued west running thru a neighborhood. We continued running more or less west under the I5 Interstate. Shortly after running under I5 there was a turnaround which took us back to the east and into the neighborhood we had already run thru. At about mile 2.25 we turned north and started up to the top of the ridge with an eastern return trip to the finish area. The road surfaces we ran on included Gravel Road, paved neighborhood roads and some paved bike path. There were some small steep hills around the I5 running path and a medium long hill near the end of the run but nothing guts wrenching.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes