General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lights and light setup on Tri bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-05 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: Lights and light setup on Tri bikes
It seems that I'm hearing of more instances of accidents involving cars lately, so I'm going to start riding all the time with lights on my tri bike. I have been following Jordan Rapp's progress on Slowtwitch after his horrific accident several months ago, and he now always rides with lights, regardless of the time of day.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to mount lights on my tri bike. I have Vision base bars that are angled and mounting my curent lights (that I use for comuting) doesn't work.

My seatpost on my tri bike (Blue Triad) is also not condusive to mounting lights - is there a mount that can attach to the seat rails?

I currently use two Planet Bike 'Super Blinky' lights for rear lights when commuting on my road bike, and two more lights mounted to my bars up front.

Are there lights than can be swiveled to mount at 90 degrees? I was thinking of maybe putting a light under my aero bars, but the bars point straight ahead, and most mounting systems are meant to be put on handlebars.

Any thougths or suggestions would be helpful as I'm hoping to look like a X-Mas tree out there so that people can see me even when they're texting, drinking coffe and having their doughnut, or doing something else that will take their eyes away from what they should be doing.

Edited by natethomas2000 2010-10-05 10:17 AM

2010-10-05 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3133482

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Lights and light setup on Tri bikes
natethomas2000 - 2010-10-05 11:16 AM It seems that I'm hearing of more instances of accidents involving cars lately, so I'm going to start riding all the time with lights on my tri bike. I have been following Jordan Rapp's progress on Slowtwitch after his horrific accident several months ago, and he now always rides with lights, regardless of the time of day.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to mount lights on my tri bike. I have Vision base bars that are angled and mounting my curent lights (that I use for comuting) doesn't work.

My seatpost on my tri bike (Blue Triad) is also not condusive to mounting lights - is there a mount that can attach to the seat rails?

I currently use two Planet Bike 'Super Blinky' lights for rear lights when commuting on my road bike, and two more lights mounted to my bars up front.

Are there lights than can be swiveled to mount at 90 degrees? I was thinking of maybe putting a light under my aero bars, but the bars point straight ahead, and most mounting systems are meant to be put on handlebars.

Any thougths or suggestions would be helpful as I'm hoping to look like a X-Mas tree out there so that people can see me even when they're texting, drinking coffe and having their doughnut, or doing something else that will take their eyes away from what they should be doing.

Can't remember what light I have, it wasn't expensive but it does swivel 360 degrees so they do exist.  I tend to put my tail light on the back of my kit.  It has a clip that makes it easy to attach to pretty much anything.

Similar to this one http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/LS707A08-Planet+Bike+Brt-3+Tail+Light.aspx?sc=FRGL

I can't seem to find a version of my front light but I'll check when I get home.

Edited by dalessit 2010-10-05 10:31 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lights and light setup on Tri bikes Rss Feed