Columbus Marathon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 49m 46s
Overall Rank = 1402/4103
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 46/232
Pre-race routine:

Jim and I and the kids drove from NKY to Columbus on Sat. Made a stop at the expo, which was lame for such a big marathon, but I did get $35 bike shorts so that was good. Met our friends and went to lunch. Drove to our hotel which was real nice and pretty much just laid around watching TV. Got up at 5.30 and made toast and had my Diet Coke. I was really trying to dupilcate my training runs down to socks and clothes and this breakfast is my staple. Go with what works!
Event warmup:

The start was about a block from our hotel so there was not much of a warm-up. I think I getting anxious so about 7.10 I headed to my corral, found it after I initally went to #3, turned around and found #2. It was quite breezy but the more people that came it got toastie quickly. They had a great firework display and of course, had the band plyin music. It look like there was a false start and they began the count down again and this time the gun went off.
Run
  • 3h 49m 46s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure I would have done anything too different.
Post race
Warm down:

walked to the end of the race and tried to find Jim and the kids which I did. Walked back to hotel room, six blocks which I think was good because I felt better. Just standing there waiting for Jim and the kids after the race was really tuff, so I think the walking really helped. Took a short shower and met friends for lunch, wasn't really all that hungry, which was surprising, I think I was just really happy with several bottles of water and a coffee from Starbucks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ran the fastest I could, I wish I could have held on to my pace for the last six miles, but you know its hard to complain when you really accomplished everything you set out to do. If it was a wish list then I wish I could run as fast as my husband, but, oh well till then!

Last updated: 2010-05-02 12:00 AM
Running
03:49:46 | 26.2 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/232
Overall: 1402/4103
Performance: Good
Garmin time was 26.4 miles @3.49.48, whatever!
Course: I decieded that I would run with the 3.50 pace group, apparently alot of people did this also, I got as close as I could to them but really could not hear their plan, so I thought I would just follow them. They started out way too fast. My first mile was a 8.16, about two miles into the run I knew this was too fast and backed off the group. I felt comfortable at 8.20/8.30 so I kept it there, infact I caught up to the pace group and passed them. This was going great until about 18, I started to see my pace go to 8.32/8.33 but it was still good. However, about 20/21 my time was slowing and at this point I was looking at 8.35 and the damm pace group caught me. I still knew I could make the Boston cut-off but I really wanted to still PR. I really tried to stay with the pace group but my times were getting slower with each mile and about mile 24/25 my calfs were killing me, I altered my pace and felt much better. I turned the corner to the finish and just hauled ass because at this point my time was about 3.48. I tried to run as fast as possible to make the 3.50 and of course, I did. Very happy, very painful but I did it. This was my third attempt to make Boston and it was worth it. Great race and I PR'd by 5 minutes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-17 4:30 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Columbus Marathon

2010-10-17 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3156697

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Columbus Marathon
Congrats on that PR and on a great race!
2010-10-18 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Congrats on the BQ!!! Way to go! That's awesome!

(FYI, I don't think it was a false start. They send the wheelchair racers off first.)

Glad you had a good stay in Columbus.
Congratulations on a great marathon!
2010-10-18 1:09 PM

User image

Regular
Great race and congrats on the BQ time. That's my next goal.

How were the crowds on the route after the half marathon broke off. The spectators were great for the half, just wondering if they were the same for the second half of the full or did things seem to thin out a little out there?
2010-10-18 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
great job it was a nice race and a beautiful day.  I had the same problem you did with the corrals.  I was in 1 and tried to walk through 3, I stepped onto the road as they were counting down, talk about adding pressure.  Awesome job on your run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus Marathon Rss Feed