General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wanting to get a new bike but have no idea where to start please help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-17 6:56 PM

New user

Subject: wanting to get a new bike but have no idea where to start please help
Currently I have a Trek 1.1 with aero bars and put in a aggressive position. I just got a computer to see my cadence and see how fast I was going. wanting to get a TT bike.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2010/archive/11

I'm very new to road bikes, and need help. I'm at 6k elevation and the route I do there are 4 decent sized hills and on a windy day i push 20.5mph(cadence 100-114) on average non windy day i can go 21.5 in a 20k. on the flat road with no wind i average 26-29mph(Cad.100-114). but my main question i have is what bike to get that will give me numbers of 24-27mph I know the engine is the most important and I'm on a 28 week training program to get better and will train with the 1.1 until i get a new bike. I'm looking to spend a maximum of 3,500$ do i get a top end aluminum bike with amazing parts or do i go with carbon. as i said earlier with the biking aspect I'm not familar with at all.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and my numbers arent ment for bragging or to show anything just to give you a picture of my fitness level atm, i dont even know waht good mph is nor good cadence. all I know is the guy at the santa cruz tri last year avg. 27mph and also I will be back at sea level in two weeks. thanks again and hope to hear from anyone that has advice.

2010-10-17 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3156871

User image

New user
Subject: RE: wanting to get a new bike but have no idea where to start please help
I wouldn't worry, bike threads get allot of different comments.  My 2 cents are you seem to have allot of fitness if you can maintain a 20ish mph.  Many pros I guess would be 25ish for an average mph. I went from a road bike, $1500 aluminum/carbon on forks/seat stays to a $5000 Transition full carbon pro, didn't spend 5K, got a great deal.  My average speeds jumped 3-5 mph, but that was because there was more power being applied to the pedals by the bike design. Besides a jump in overall speed, I noticed the pickup was night and day.  I could get up to 20 something mph much faster on my tri bike, while in the seat, but in the aeros.  I noticed I may only have to shift one gear, while my old road bike I had to shift allot more to get to 20 somehting.  When I was doing a speed session on my tri bike and peaked at 32mph on a flat road for half mile before I died.  My old road bike, I dont think I could have done this.  Also, I noticed the carbon frame, besides the damping is about 50% then before, does help with hills.  I think its because the frame is stiffer so it doesn't flex when I stand or apply power on hills.  I think my mph jumped 4-5 on hills going the same PE.  Now, even though I saw an increase in bike performance, because I got bad bike fit, I still got beat by bikers on a cheaper bikes.    You will hear the biker is what wins not the bike. However, it looks like you have the making of a great biker, so maybe its worth upgrading.  Its probably worth taking spin on a new one see if you notice a difference.
2010-10-18 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3156948

New user

Subject: RE: wanting to get a new bike but have no idea where to start please help

Thanks for getting back so fast and all the information i just have one more question I understand how the bike feels to the rider is the most important but what is the better bike speed concept 7.2 or the cervello p2

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2010/P2/prices-specs/

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/triathlon/speed_concept_7/speedconcept72/

2010-10-18 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Wheaton, IL
Just my two cents, but when I was in your spot - granted it was high-end road bike, I went with carbon over aluminum and was absolutely amazed at the ride difference. As the previous rider stated, the "pop" that you get is definitely noticable, but I also found that there is no comparison with ride quality. Add that to a long-distance race and you will be able to maintain a higher speed just due to lack of fatique.

As for the two bikes, while I race/ride road bikes - have done time trials, as well as tris, I would go w. Cervelo - one obvious difference is the wheels. But if they were the same, I tend to lean towards not what is popular, but what is tried/true and everyone I know that has a Cervelo would not trade it....that's the best kind of feedback you could get.

Good luck and be sure to post pics!
2010-10-18 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3157799

New user

Thanks and will post pics once i get the bike.

2010-10-18 4:26 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

I upgraded this season and I got a Kuota K Factor for less than $3500.  All carbon, good components.  I changed from aluminum to carbon and I went with the K Factor for the loose weave carbon (vs tight weave-Kueen K) for ride quality on long distance.  I am very pleased.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wanting to get a new bike but have no idea where to start please help Rss Feed