General Discussion Triathlon Talk » n00b questions, please be gentle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-19 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3161369

User image

New user

Subject: RE: n00b questions, please be gentle
Well I strongly encourage you to swim some in open water before jumping in race day. Also, do you know if you can go the distance? I'm only asking, because most people find the swim to be the hardest of the 3 to pick up as an adult.

Yeah, I've already started worrying about it enough to try it. I was going to try to get in a local pool just to get a feel for it, but they weren't open for public swim. I might just drive out to the beach tomorrow after work and get out there. The thing is, I have no real concept of how long the swim is without some kind of marked out distance.

I have a Garmin 305 thats *supposed* to be waterproof, but, I've never put that to the test. Also I'm not sure how well it would work to be checking out my distance while swimming.

Edited by pir8matt 2010-10-19 9:02 PM

2010-10-19 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3160220

User image

Master
St. Louis
Back to the shoes for a sec.  This is my first year doing tris and I use my mountain bike shoes with spd cleats.  I figured I was spending enough this year and could upgrade to tri shoes next year.  I didn't try "flying mounts" but I did ok for a middle aged newbie triathlete.
2010-10-20 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3161528

User image

New user

ransick - 2010-10-19 10:47 PM Back to the shoes for a sec.  This is my first year doing tris and I use my mountain bike shoes with spd cleats.  I figured I was spending enough this year and could upgrade to tri shoes next year.  I didn't try "flying mounts" but I did ok for a middle aged newbie triathlete.

I ride a road bike but my pedal/cleat combo is actually more MTB with road shoes. Kind of a cobbled together combo. I think I'll do fine just slipping the shoes on before getting on the bike and then taking off. We'll see. Thanks for the input! 
2010-10-20 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3161459

User image

New user

I have a Garmin 305 thats *supposed* to be waterproof, but, I've never put that to the test. Also I'm not sure how well it would work to be checking out my distance while swimming.

Ok, well I guess I was wrong about that. Good thing I looked online first. I guess the 305 is water 'resistant' in shallow water for up to 30 minutes, but not 'waterproof'

2010-10-20 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3160780

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
charles-goff - 2010-10-19 3:28 PM I hate to tell you this but approx 1/2 of the other racers have the same swim strategy you do. even staying to the back is no gaurantee of a good swim, hold to the outside as well. To quote my hero Frazz, "Triathlon swims are like Australian Rules Football, only in water." The outside lane will be faster because it avoids the mosh pit at the turn.
Also keep in mind it is easy to get injuried on the swim, ie shoulder injury, if you are not fully ready. I sat out most of the season because I pushed to hard in the swim on a sprint and ended with a DNF and torn tendons in my right shoulder. I am an open water swimmer, but in a race your mind will want to push beyond your training level. Do not take the swim lightly.

I agree 100%. A race day OWS is totally different than practice.

Someone also mentioned the shoes. I used Mountain Bike shoes for the first two years cause I got them for a great price. I just picked up a pair of tri shoes off ebay for a great price. Tri equipment is not expensive or cheap but things add up. By a little here and there. Buy some used stuff and upgrade as you go along. That's what I plan to do. Next up is a used road bike if I can free up some green backs.  

Good Luck on your tri.   Make sure you have fun.
2010-10-20 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
In regards to your swim, if you haven't been training I would take it very conservatively and plan to do a lot of breaststroking (outside the main pack for safety) and backstroking if it comes to that.  You can always use the BT route mapper to measure the distance at the beach you're thinking of heading to.  Find a landmark on the shore and measure along the shoreline either the full distance or an out and back but make sure you find another landmark on the shore at the furthest point so you know when to stop/turn around.

2010-10-20 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

Which race are you doing? Suncoast? Clearwater Beach is a great place for practice swimming (early, it'll be super crowded by late morning). If you start just south of Pier 60 and swim parallel to shore, the distance from lifeguard station 1 to lifeguard station 3 is about 600 yards.

If you're closer to Wesley Chapel, then you can head over to Anclote River Park. It's about 130 yards if you follow the outside buoy line from one side to the other, but there's often a very strong tidal current. I've had days that my times in one direction were 7:00, and the return trip was 1:00.

PS. Water temp right now is about 78°.

2010-10-20 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3163458

User image

New user

Meerkat Surprise - 2010-10-20 5:09 PM
Which race are you doing? Suncoast?

Yep, Suncoast. 

Clearwater Beach is a great place for practice swimming (early, it'll be super crowded by late morning). If you start just south of Pier 60 and swim parallel to shore, the distance from lifeguard station 1 to lifeguard station 3 is about 600 yards.

If you're closer to Wesley Chapel..

I'm actually closer to the race location for suncoast than Clearwater or WC. Pretty close to downtown St Pete. I suppose the closest open water to me would actually be Spa Beach, at the base of the pier (which I think is where they do the swim for the St. Anthonys Tri, isnt it?). Tampa Bay is kind of gross to swim in though. 

2010-10-20 4:50 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
I too grew up around water (California) - my first tri swim went fine, even with no open water swim practice in the months before the race & no wetsuit.  I may have gone to a pool a few times but that was it.   Basically I LOVED the feeling of being in the water and didn't care if I was slower than almost everyone else. 

So, if you were a childhood fish, just take the swim nice & easy and you will be fine.  You want to save energy for the bike & run anyway.
2010-10-23 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3163532

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

pir8matt - 2010-10-20 5:38 PM

I'm actually closer to the race location for suncoast than Clearwater or WC. Pretty close to downtown St Pete. I suppose the closest open water to me would actually be Spa Beach, at the base of the pier (which I think is where they do the swim for the St. Anthonys Tri, isnt it?). Tampa Bay is kind of gross to swim in though. 

Sorry it's too late now, but in the future, being down there, I would go swim with the Mad Dogs on Wednesday evenings at Pass-a-Grille.

2010-10-23 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3168287

User image

New user

Meerkat Surprise - 2010-10-23 7:40 AM
Sorry it's too late now, but in the future, being down there, I would go swim with the Mad Dogs on Wednesday evenings at Pass-a-Grille.

Well, I'll definitely have to get more swimming in because that was by far the most challenging part of the event for me. I basically felt tapped out just a short distance beyond the first turn buoy. I got dropped pretty soundly by my age group and then the group behind ours caught up, and then the one behind THAT one, so I felt pretty unprepared and was seriously tired by the time I finished. I will give myself credit for not having to stop and cling to a buoy or kayak, though. I alternated between freestyle/backstroke/breaststroke the whole way and was able to maintain by doing so. 

But I did reasonably well on the bike leg, despite a pretty strong headwind on the first couple of miles. The run was pretty challenging, not from a cardio perspective so much, but my thighs were really sore and I had to slow down to a walk a couple times, which I really didn't want to do, but oh well.

I finished in 1:50 overall though, so I got in under my conservative 2 hour estimate, and it was great fun. I'd definitely do another one, though as I mentioned, I need to work a LOT more (or at all) on the swim portion.

And thanks to everyone for all the tips. The one thing I *was* prepared for was the transitions, thanks to this site. I had a nice tight area with everything laid out as needed, though I definitely would add/do a few things differently the next time.

Edited by pir8matt 2010-10-23 2:18 PM

2010-10-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3168581

User image

New user

Actually, looking on the results site it says my time was 1:37:27?

I was going by what the timer had on it when I crossed the finish. Whats the difference there, is that chip time vs. elapsed total time or something?

More newb-ness, sorry.  
2010-10-23 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3168592

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

pir8matt - 2010-10-23 3:31 PM Actually, looking on the results site it says my time was 1:37:27?

I was going by what the timer had on it when I crossed the finish. Whats the difference there, is that chip time vs. elapsed total time or something?

More newb-ness, sorry.  

The clock starts with the first wave into the water. If you're not in the first group, (your time) = (clock time) - (time between first wave and your wave)

2010-10-23 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3168581

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

pir8matt - 2010-10-23 3:16 PM
Meerkat Surprise - 2010-10-23 7:40 AM

Well, I'll definitely have to get more swimming in because that was by far the most challenging part of the event for me. I basically felt tapped out just a short distance beyond the first turn buoy. I got dropped pretty soundly by my age group and then the group behind ours caught up, and then the one behind THAT one, so I felt pretty unprepared and was seriously tired by the time I finished. I will give myself credit for not having to stop and cling to a buoy or kayak, though. I alternated between freestyle/backstroke/breaststroke the whole way and was able to maintain by doing so. 

But I did reasonably well on the bike leg, despite a pretty strong headwind on the first couple of miles. The run was pretty challenging, not from a cardio perspective so much, but my thighs were really sore and I had to slow down to a walk a couple times, which I really didn't want to do, but oh well.

I finished in 1:50 overall though, so I got in under my conservative 2 hour estimate, and it was great fun. I'd definitely do another one, though as I mentioned, I need to work a LOT more (or at all) on the swim portion.

And thanks to everyone for all the tips. The one thing I *was* prepared for was the transitions, thanks to this site. I had a nice tight area with everything laid out as needed, though I definitely would add/do a few things differently the next time.

Welcome to the addiction Now go swim

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » n00b questions, please be gentle Rss Feed  

of 2