General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fractured ribs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-19 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: Fractured ribs

I have fractured my 6th and 7th ribs in a bike crash. I notice a slight improvement each day but it still hurts to cough, sneeze, bend, twist certain ways and it's uncomfortable to sleep on my back. Of course I asked the doctor when I could exercise again, and he said to let pain be my guide. I have other issues from the crash (road rash, bruising etc) so I am definitely still healing. Swimming is out for a while because a couple of my cuts were very deep. Thought I would start with running and see if it hurts to get out of breath? Anyone have a similar experience to share?  

2010-10-19 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3161214

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Fractured ribs
Spring 2009 I took a spill and fractured my elbow, broke a rib and punctured my lung.  Obviously I didn't do anything until my lung was better (surprisingly fast at healing) but within 2 weeks I went for my first run and was riding my trainer outside.  Because of my elbow I was advised not to go on the road because the jarring would slow down the healing process.  The first run I did was BRUTAL.  I remember feeling like my insides were boulders bouncing around but it didn't take too long to get back at it.  Heal quickly and listen to your body - it will tell you how much is too much.
2010-10-20 2:46 AM

Upper body bones take 6 weeks to heal (that is if you are healthy, don't smoke/ don't drink to access!). Therefore you are going to be sore the next few weeks. However, the more you can do deep breathing and try to re-open the damaged lung lying beneath those ribs the better. I imagine cycling would be less painful than running as there would be less upper body movement. But ultimately your doctor is right- your body will tell you when it is ready, just use this time to let the other parts of you recover!

Life Rocks

www.liferocks.org.uk 
2010-10-20 12:44 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Sorry about your accident.  I broke 2-ribs in 2007, as well as my clavicle.  funny thing is, I didn't know about the broken ribs until a month later when I had an MRI.  I was wondering why it hurt so much for a broken collar bone.  Anyway, I think I slept on the couch for almost a full month because it was the most comfortable place.  I was out for a while but you will know when you're ready.  I'd start with some stationary biking and maybe walking on the treadmill at an incline. 
Good luck
2010-10-20 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Good luck! I bruised 3 and broke 1 7 weeks ago. I crashed on Sunday and Thursday and Friday were by far the most painful days. I took some pain meds on Friday (just tylenol and advil) and by Saturday the pain began to subside. With the help of tylenol I was able to bike and run right through the injury except for those 2 days I mentioned above. I couldn't swim for anything but did manage to complete a half iron 2 weeks post crash. I won't say it was excruciatingly painful though After 2.5 weeks the bruised ones subsided and the pain became much less intense and very isolated. At that point I was able to do everything at full intensity without any meds except for swimming and some upper body lifting.

I tell you all this to tell you there is hope! The only real training I missed was in the water, otherwise I was ok to keep on going.
2010-11-02 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Dang you people. I just got back 30 minutes ago from the doc. Cracked a rib and was wondering what the turn around time was going to be before I could run again (forgot to ask the doc).

Nice to see what everyone else went through. Since it's just a crack I should be running by weeks end. Laughing

2010-11-02 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Sorry perdium

I'm about 2.5 weeks out from cracking 2 ribs and I'm getting there. I can run slowly and have been on the bike a few times. I did my first ride outdoors since the crash, yesterday. I was actually a bit freaked out because my last ride had ended so badly, but it was uneventful. My ribs tell me exactly when to hold back. Its less painful breathing but there are certain movements that still really hurt- laying on my back, turning the steering wheel to the right and any type of push up position. It also feels like I am a long time away from being able to do any core work 

I havent been swimming because I have stitches on my arm, it will be a couple of weeks before I can get back in the pool but I have a feeling that might be the most uncomfortable activity.

The good news was that after a week I could do most of my regular work and day to day activities without pain, after 2 weeks I was able to run under 8 min/miles (zone 2?) and it makes small improvements each day. I overdid it when volunteering at a kids tri on Halloween so I might have set myself back a few days.

Heal well!

2010-11-03 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks! Good luck to you as well. Sounds like you have much more to heal than I do.
Vaya con Dios.
2010-11-05 9:34 AM

Uxbridge
I had a nasty bike crash a year ago. Fractured my jaw and  really bruised my ribs. It was a good 6 weeks before I felt like I could run. I swam as soon as the stitches were out of my face and it wasnt that bad. It hurt to take deep breaths at first but then eased up. I didnt get on the bike for 6 weeks, but was fine once I did...other than being a little freaked out.

heal quickly...listen to your body
2010-11-08 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3196688

User image

Veteran
mav - 2010-11-05 9:34 AM I had a nasty bike crash a year ago. Fractured my jaw and  really bruised my ribs. It was a good 6 weeks before I felt like I could run. I swam as soon as the stitches were out of my face and it wasnt that bad. It hurt to take deep breaths at first but then eased up. I didnt get on the bike for 6 weeks, but was fine once I did...other than being a little freaked out.

heal quickly...listen to your body

Wish I had read this yesterday. I (being a man) decided that 4 days recovery was plenty and went on a 13 mile ride yesterday afternoon. Made it 9 miles before I called for backup. Today I am walking with a definite hunch as I can't seem to straighten up all the way with out that rib signing it's displeasure.

My wife patted me on the head and gave me the "I told you so" look.
2010-11-30 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
you're going to be sore for several weeks.  but your physician was right - let pain be your guide.  running isn't necessarily going to make things worse, healing-fracture-wise, but it WILL hurt for a bit.  

if broken ribs are the only fractures, i tell my patients they can get back to doing whatever they would like - as soon as pain allows.   

2010-12-03 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
I teach at a middle school, and Monday before Thanksgiving, I broke up a fight between some 6th graders. One decided he was going to kick me in the ribs, breaking 1, possibly 2. 12 days later, I still want to cry when I sneeze. Short of sneezing, coughing or lifting, I'm pretty much OK, though I have not tried to do any exercise yet...

Doc said between 9 and 16 weeks to fully heal, but could do things as I can tolerate them...

Edited by tjtryon 2010-12-03 6:48 PM
2010-12-03 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3236130

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

tjtryon - 2010-12-03 4:47 PM I teach at a middle school, and Monday before Thanksgiving, I broke up a fight between some 6th graders. One decided he was going to kick me in the ribs, breaking 1, possibly 2. 12 days later, I still want to cry when I sneeze. Short of sneezing, coughing or lifting, I'm pretty much OK, though I have not tried to do any exercise yet... Doc said between 9 and 16 weeks to fully heal, but could do things as I can tolerate them...

Yikes!

My ribs have healed up well. I was running (easy) after a week or so, then cycling after 2 weeks (I had a lot of road rash that made going into aero difficult). I was out of the water the longest, I had 2 sets of stitches that had to heal. I'm almost 7 weeks out from fracturing the 2 ribs and I'm at 95%, there's a few things that still hurt, like sit ups and I still feel that side of my body stiff when I swim. My doc said I might have discomfort for several months.

Good luck with your recovery!  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fractured ribs Rss Feed