United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 01m 58s
Overall Rank = 1439/1818
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 74/94
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00. Usual breakfast -- coffee, Cliff Bar, banana, PowerBar Gel, water. Walk over to race site.
Event warmup:

None really. Put stuff in transition. Walked over to figure out where the swim start/finish was (since they had no idea the day before). Found an out-of-way place to sit down and try to calm my nerves. Was really nervous because of several factors -- 1st time at the distance, heat & humidity, training gaps in last few weeks because of work pressures.
Swim
  • 38m 53s
  • 2200 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a bad swim. Got clear of the pack pretty easily. Had a current from behind on first leg. Started catching wave before us halfway to second turn. Hard to see buoys -- they only had turn buoys nothing in between. They weren't that big and they were far apart. After turning the second buoy, couldn't see the last one. Thought it was backlit by a police boat with flashing lights since the first two seemed to be. Seemed to be right since a pack of swimmers was headed that way. About halfway there I could finally make out the buoy way to the right of where I was aiming. I'm guessing I went about 300 yds or more out of the way. Finally made the final turn, caught the current again and headed to the steps out of the water. Swim was fairly calm just some chop at the point of the triangle and along the final leg.
What would you do differently?:

As always, sight better.
Transition 1
  • 07m 52s
Comments:

That seems like a long time, but there was an extremely long run from water to transition-in and I did run it. I thought I moved fairly quickly in transition. Garmin on, bike top on, all my nutrition in pockets, shoes, helmet, glasses on. Some water & a gel and on the road.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 08m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I was moving pretty impressively (for me) on the first 30 miles. Kept the speed probably averaging above 19 mph (I know that's pitiful for most). There was a 10-15 mph wind from the NNE. Got a push from it going to 30 mile mark. From that point to the finish there was a consistent effect on the ride with several spots were it was head on. Until about 45 miles I was doing pretty well. Managed to stay in the drops more than half the time. Then the heat started to hit me. Legs started cramping right above the knees. Got to the finish and was really glad to re-rack my bike.

I just need more bike work.
Transition 2
  • 07m 6s
Comments:

I was moving slowly due to cramps in legs. Changed into a running top and my running shoes. Put on sunscreen. Hat & sunglasses. Out I went. Don't know what exactly took 7 minutes???

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 59m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

For me it was a death march. My legs cramped so badly, I couldn't even think of running until halfway through the first mile. When I did it was maybe 100 yds at a clip. I hit the 1st couple of aid stations hard for gatorade hoping that would help. It seemed to, but I never recovered enough to cover any decent run distance. The heat was a killer. I believe I have the endurance training to do much better, but there was no way to prepare for the 80-85 degree temps and 70% humidity since most of my outdoor workouts at home in the past 30 days have been 50-60 degree temps. I had alot of company in my misery as lots of racers were walking & cramping & generally having a hard time. I just kept going -- trying to move forward with a purpose. Running when I could. The course was lined in most spots with cones and metal horses maybe 25 feet apart. It was horse then 2 cones then another horse. I would try to run from a horse to the 3rd one beyond and then walk again. When the cramps were bad it'd only be from one horse to the next. It kept me moving. Another thing that kept me going was the spectators. The race bibs had your number & first name on them. Spectators would go 'You can do it, Joseph' or 'Almost there, Joseph'. It was kind of neat as opposed to some other races where it'd be 'Looking good 2706'. Anyway, every little bit of encouragement helped. Eventually I got through the course twice and hit the finish line. Very happy experience that was!!

I want to be able to run more in a 70.3. I can increase my fitness but cannot do much about the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

NO WATER at the finish line!! Got my medal and t-shirt and got back to transition. Just wanted to get back to the hotel and out of the heat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat & everything else mentioned above.

Event comments:

The race was in its first year and there were some problems. I am sure it is growing pains and hopefully they'll be able to address those things going forward. They seemed to be winging alot of things like not even being able to tell us where the swim start/finish would be 20 hours before the start. In many spots on the bike & run the course was realy narrow. But I think I would do it again because of the location. Something that amazes me is that this race sold-out but only about 1800 people finished. Granted, maybe there were 200 DNF or DQ but that still leaves maybe 600 that paid & didn't show. That's an expensive entry fee to write off. And how crowded would things have been if 90% showed & started.

Last updated: 2009-12-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:53 | 2200 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/94
Overall: 210/1818
Performance: Average
Suit: Tyr Tri Suit
Course: As I swam it, I discovered it was a triangle. In water start going north, right turn out into the bay, then back to shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:45 | 56 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/94
Overall: 1497/1818
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: A very turn filled course south of the race site. Basically an out & back. Many places with shade. Well marked and well covered by police. Above average road conditions but kind of narrow in some spots.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:59:18 | 13.1 miles | 13m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/94
Overall: 1600/1818
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 Lap course along Bayfront Park, up and over the bridge into the Port of Miami, loop under the bridge to go back to the Miami side, snake around American Airlines Arena to the turn around. All told, over the bridge 8 times. Not flat. No real shade. Alot of nice views.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-10-31 5:33 AM

Veteran
Harrisburg, PA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Miami

2010-10-31 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3186962

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Miami
Congrats!!! Yes, it was a super hard run...8xs over that nasty long tall bridge!!!! Unlike you I thought the swim had a strong current going out to the first triangle but maybe it is just me..lol...lots of contact as well for me.

They need to get their act together if they want people to come back next year, like having enough racks for the bikes...having gels on the run, oranges, etc and WATER at the end!!!!

I still had fun and anyway my brain tends to forget all the "bad" stuff and makes me return next year...
2010-11-01 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL

Great job, and I think the run was a death march for many.  Killer swim!

2010-11-01 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa

I also thought the organizers bombed it when they could've aced it with this race.

I started on the second to last wave and was one to find the second water station on the bike to be out of supplies. 

I hated the DAMN bridge too, and also felt it was a death march but took it as part of being an Ironman (or half of one- LOL). I had to play my own reggae in my head - would have enjoyed some music or somehting on the other side of that DAMN BRIDGE.

I am really glad there were no major insults on the course, I was concerned with losing someone on the swim - I had a cramp and found no nearby kayaks, but the swerving of potholes in downtown was the scarriest.  Sure, they can't fix the town for just one day but...

Not sure I would do this race again now that I lost my HIM virginity to a WTC event (I was saving myself for that - hnestly); I think I would stick to local promoters from now on - my next FL HIM?  maybe MiamiMan in 2011. 

Does anyone have the official number of racers?  How about standings for the bike? 

2010-11-01 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3188516

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
piperfl - 2010-11-01 11:10 AM

Great job, and I think the run was a death march for many.  Killer swim!

Piper - that Boca Team had some good representation at this race!  Bravo for you and your team.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Miami Rss Feed