Miami, Florida
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 08m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and had my coffee, bagel with peanut butter and agave. My fan club "husband" drove me to the race so I was able to relax in the car while I sipped on more coffee and NUUN.
Event warmup:

Waited and waited as the race started late.
Swim
  • 53m
  • 2200 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

They had the "waves" walk down to a small pier were a guy was literally throwing you off the pier one after the other not even waiting for the person who had just jumped off to come up for air! it was horrible. I prefer ocean swims not black water swims so I did not love this swim! I swam the entire time, just keept sighting and moving. lots of contact, I had a guy literally swim over me and push me down. Thank God I don't panic in the water. Getting out of this swim was also very unpleasant as they had put down some "fake looking" stairs but the last step was not actually in the water as you had to pull yourself up, it was chaotic and dangerous. My husband saw a guy hit his knee really bad and had to be helped out as he could not place weight on his leg after the incident. Total mess in my opinion.
What would you do differently?:

nothing.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

long transition but I did the best I could!

keep practicing
Bike
  • 3h 25m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Started the bike portion and within 1/4mile I hear a pop and it is my bike tire!!!!! So, besides cursing I quickly regrouped and as I pulled over I told myself "ok, you have been practicing this in your garage now DO IT!". Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined and this has always been my fear that in a long race or my upcoming IM that I get a flat (I am slow enough biking, I don't need anything extra). I did change it but it took me a good 20min, I know this is pathetic but what can I do!

So off I went already with my HR already ski high from the excitement. Heading out the wind was pretty much behind or we were protected by homes, trees and buildings. The course was very very narrow at times with pot holes that were pretty big and hard to see unless u were about to take a dip in one of them. I also notices that it was a "draft fest" out there, which for me it really does not matter because I am not going to win anything but I would imagine this can really piss you off if you are tryingto rank high.

Ran out of water bottles and gatorade. I do have to say the police were awesome in controlling the traffic. The volunteers were great and they were trying to do their best.

lots of 90degress turns!! headwind or crosswind on the way back. Hmmm a challenging bike course.

Practice changing tires!!! get faster at it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

I need to improve this!
Run
  • 2h 41m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I have never seen so many people walk in a HIM!!! it was hot and humid which I understand comes with the territory but for God's sake have enough water for the runners!!! I was told this was a last minute run course as we were supposed to go over the bridge to south beach and come back. However, the course changed and they had has go over the bridge 8 freaking times! No gels, no oranges on the run. They had power bars but how many runners can open the power bar and actually chew on one while running in the heat?

I ran/walked. I fely pretty good and was thrilled not to have experienced cramps as I have in the past. I wanted to finish feeling good and feel like I could go on as this was part of my training for Cozumel. I believe I accomplished this as I am feeling pretty good!
Post race
Warm down:

nothing. My husband was exhausted waiting for me, no food or drinks available for family and friends (I am not talking free here). Got my bike and went to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat, slow at changing tires, not wanting to end exhausted due to upcoming IM ;-)

Event comments:

To be fair I understand this is a first time even but I give this race a D+. They need to make sure to have enough water, gatorade on the run and bike course and PLEASE have gels, oranges, etc (forgot to mention they did have coke on 2 stations on the run which was great) on the run course. The medal is nice, the T-shirt is pretty ugly and ofcourse they ran out of smalls or mediums.

I stil had fun I love every minute of being out there testing my self! the body is a fantastic machine!

Last updated: 2010-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:00 | 2200 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: triangle set up. Difficult to sight as there were no bouys in between and no one had any idea about the swim course the day before. Not choppy but I felt the current on the way to the 1st bouy.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:25:20 | 56 miles | 16.36 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: out and back, terrible pot holes in the beginning. headwind/crosswind on the way back. Excellent police support. lots of 90degree turns.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:41:00 | 13.1 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 2 loops, running up a long steep bridge EIGHT times!!! very little shade.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-10-31 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Miami

2010-10-31 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3187351

Veteran
Harrisburg, PA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Miami
Good job on a tough day.  I was one of the ones suffering & walking on the run.  They definitely need to iron out a few things about this race.  I'm surprised that WTC doesn't oversea the arrangements when they allow somebody to run one of their races.  Alot of this was a really chaotic experience.  This is a great venue so I hope they get their act together.

Joe
2010-10-31 2:56 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Congratulations on doing a great job at what I hear was a pretty crap race. Yikes!

And good luck for Cozumel!
2010-10-31 3:12 PM

User image

Personally, I give NO wtc race a first time event exclusion.   The corp. has done enough of these, there is NO EXCUSE for running out of water.
2010-10-31 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Wow, I've really not been hearing anything good about any of the ironman sanctioned events lately. I understand that they are rather expensive as well. I think ill try to stick to local events after reading about this one. I did a half in NC the same day and was very impressed with the aid and refreshments available. Good luck in the future with your full!
2010-10-31 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sorry to hear about the disorganization of the race.   

That swim sounds horrible.

There is absolutely no way any race should run out of water.   It's hard to imagine how this still happens.  Its so dangerous.

Having the flat tire is just icing on the cake for all of the rest of the days issues.   The positive takeaway is that you must have done a good job replacing it as many people flat again due to pinching.   

EIGHT times over that bridge???  Yikes!

No cramping    sweet.  even with little water!    Great sign for Cozumel.

Still all the adversity that you overcame  gives you more to draw from for IM 

Great Job!

2010-10-31 5:36 PM

User image

New user
Tampa
I have already heard from several people that this wasn't the best race. Way to gut it out!! You did a nice job! Best wishes for Coz!!
2010-10-31 6:18 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
flat tire like me.  but i got 2 during this AWESOME race!
2010-10-31 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
WOW!! You soooo ROCK!!! Way to go under tough conditions, that swim sounds horrible!! Nice job on the flat tire, you must have done very well for it to hold up the entire ride!!  Way to go! LOOK OUT COZUMEL!!! Laughing
2010-11-01 1:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Congrats on the race! Great training for Cozumel. Hopefully we'll run into each other down here. I saw some pictures of the event. Incredible!!. How can you run out of water and not have enough racks for the bikes. I would not be surprised if they get calls from a couple of lawyers from all the bikes on the floor because of the storm. Also heard the swim was too long. Anyway, good luck with your last few training weeks.
2010-11-01 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
I felt like we experinced the same race! The push by the guy at the swim start was ridiculous!  and th steps to get uot as well.  ugh..Way to go and good luck in Cozumel!!!

2010-11-02 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Thanks everyone for all the good wishes for Cozumel! ;-)))
2010-11-02 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
Congrats on finishing!  I did the race too and was really disappointed about it buuuuut...  i did have alot of fun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Miami Rss Feed