General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman and ACL Reconstruction? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-01 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
Subject: Ironman and ACL Reconstruction?
I just got back from getting an MRI and the graft on the ACL reconstruction I had back in 1998 has come loose. So, I am looking at surgery to get it repaired. I'm signed up to do Ironman Texas which is May 21, 2011.

Does anyone have experience with doing an IM after ACL reconstruction? My fitness is pretty solid at this point as I completed IM Louisville at the end of August and have continued to train. Assuming I get the surgery in the next couple of weeks that would leave me approximately 6 months for recovery and training. Has anyone done something similar. I imagine there are plenty of pitfalls to worry about, but would like to hear about people's experiences.

Thanks,

Jamie

2010-11-06 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3188119

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman and ACL Reconstruction?
Hey, wow, good timing. I was searching around for a thread on this exact thing. I'm also having ACL revision surgery next month and was wondering about a 70.3 afterwards (Aiming for late summer/fall). Sorry I can't help but I'm interested in being part of this conversation, too.

Good luck on your surgery if you end up going that route.
2010-11-24 9:10 PM

I have never done an IM. However, I hope this info helps give you some hope:
Tore my ACL as a collegiate gymnast in 1993 (repaired), tore meniscus in 1994 (repaired). Then in 1999, my graft loosened and I underwent another ACL repair. I was 27 at the time and competed in a national Fitness competition (tumbling on a stage) just 8 months later. I was VERY aggressive with my rehab, rest, and stretching for range of motion. I am now 39 (did my first Tri in Sept. -a sprint) and have NO problems with the knee.

I was always told that 8 months would be a good estimate for full recover of ACL...... The great thing is your know what to expect since you had the surgery before. Stay positive!

Good luck!

2010-11-25 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Well as a 2 time ACL loser (tore both sides) and as an orthopedic surgeon who does a fair number of ACL surgeries I would say 1-Swimming as soon as you incisions are healed, 2-biking on the trainer as soon as you can make a revolution on the bike 3-running 3 months PO.  we have VERY solid scinece on the graft healling and it really is not strong enough to withstand the forces of running until 3 months PO.  Be good with your rehab.  that is really where its at.  I tell my pts I have the easy job.  I work an hour putting thier knee back together and they have the hard job of doing hte rehab.  My expereince is that people recover from revision surger a little easier than the index procedure and I think its because they know what is going to happen and what to expect.  An allograft is easier to get over initially and is a good choice i think, 

2010-11-29 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3225685

Veteran
FormerFitnessPro - 2010-11-24 10:10 PM I have never done an IM. However, I hope this info helps give you some hope:
Tore my ACL as a collegiate gymnast in 1993 (repaired), tore meniscus in 1994 (repaired). Then in 1999, my graft loosened and I underwent another ACL repair. I was 27 at the time and competed in a national Fitness competition (tumbling on a stage) just 8 months later. I was VERY aggressive with my rehab, rest, and stretching for range of motion. I am now 39 (did my first Tri in Sept. -a sprint) and have NO problems with the knee.

I was always told that 8 months would be a good estimate for full recover of ACL...... The great thing is your know what to expect since you had the surgery before. Stay positive!

Good luck!

Loving the part that I made bold! Thanks both of you guys for your responses. I'm two weeks out from the knife... again... yikes! 
2010-12-15 9:32 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I tore my ACL playing ice hockey . . . so totally different sport, but . . .

I know I am late in responding, but I will throw my 2 cents in anyhow.  Do EXACTLY what PTs tell you to do, nothing more. If you are in really good shape there is a great possibility of the IM, but it you push it too hard to fast, even if you feel good enough you could very easily end up with patellar tendonitis. I had a hamstring graft and had patellar tendonitis after my ACL surgery and it took a VERY LONG time to heal (at it is very painful)

2010-12-16 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3250460

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
carrie639 - 2010-12-15 7:32 PM

I tore my ACL playing ice hockey . . . so totally different sport, but . . .

I know I am late in responding, but I will throw my 2 cents in anyhow.  Do EXACTLY what PTs tell you to do, nothing more. If you are in really good shape there is a great possibility of the IM, but it you push it too hard to fast, even if you feel good enough you could very easily end up with patellar tendonitis. I had a hamstring graft and had patellar tendonitis after my ACL surgery and it took a VERY LONG time to heal (at it is very painful)

Along the same lines, get a sports PT...not just the kind that helps you get back to work. My PT was the best, brutal, but the best. It's all about the rehab.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman and ACL Reconstruction? Rss Feed