General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off Season training for first triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-02 3:07 PM

Subject: Off Season training for first triathlon
I am planning on my first triathlon in early June of 2011. I think it will be the sprint distance, although I am toying with the idea of an olympic. I just ran my first half-marathon last week and took a week off. Now I need to build a cycling and swimming base (neither of which I have much experience with) while maintaining the ability to do at least 6 miles running.

I need advice on how to structure my winter training. I can realistically train 3-4 days a week, but I am aiming for 4-5. Weekends can be hour or longer workouts, but those during the week need to be under an hour.  I was thinking of doing one day of each and a strength/core day, but I am not sure if that is enough and how to I build cycling and swimming endurance that way. I really liked being on a structured training plan for 3 months and now I feel I am floundering.

My bike situation is in limbo and do not see a trainer in my future so spin classes or the bikes at the gym is all I have. I can also swim at the gym, 25 yd pool.

Anyway, as you can see I am in a bit of a quandary on where to begin and how to plan. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for any and all advice!

2010-11-02 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3191461

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Off Season training for first triathlon
It sounds as if you are just coming off another training plan and are looking to customize to meet your needs.  There are sevetral winter maintenance training plans available here so I'd suggest to check those out if you haven't already.  Outside of that I'd say that any training is better than none.  Even if you just alternate discipline workouts each day and do long workouts on weekends.  That's the approach that I'm taking right now.  I just do bike one day, swim the next and run the next (rinse and repeat) for however long I have to dedicate each day.  We are all busy people and so don't feel like you have to get locked into specific goals each week and if you don't meet them you've failed.  That's what I used to do and I got discouraged.

June 2011 is a long ways away.  Right now just concentrate on getting/keeping a base of fitness and then next spring really concentrate on keeping to a plan to get you to peak at race day.  Calculate 8/12/16/20 weeks out from race day and mark it on your calendar to start a formal training plan then.  Until then, just have fun keeping in shape.  Working out should be fun or why do it at all??

Hope this helps. 
2010-11-03 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3191461

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: RE: Off Season training for first triathlon
As you said that you don't have much experience in the pool I don't think once a week is going to be enough.  I'd try and get in the pool at least twice a week, especially if you are planning to do an Oly.  It can be easy for now and then ramp up in the Spring as has already been suggested.  Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off Season training for first triathlon Rss Feed