General Discussion Triathlon Talk » JFK 50 Mile : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-11-03 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: JFK 50 Mile : Official Thread
Okay, decided to start this instead of sending private messages to the few of us on BT doing the JFK. I also wanted to pass along that the Reston Runners, who look like they're in several teams, has a great section on just about everything associated with the JFK. Here's the link to the resource page:

http://restonrunners.org/index.php/jfk50-info-and-resources

Of particular notes and interest were the Runner Instructions as it gave an indication what you may be feeling plus what to pack, the Crew Driving instructions for those who will have crew and/or spectators, the FAQs, especially the confidence builder that says just doing a Marathon in Oct/Nov is enough, and the Maps.

Only 17 days to go, folks!

2010-11-03 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3192349

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: RE: JFK 50 Mile : Official Thread
Awesome. Thanks for starting the thread. I just sent you a pm asking questions that will probably be answered in that link. 
2010-11-03 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3192396

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
carrie1 - 2010-11-03 8:42 AM

Awesome. Thanks for starting the thread. I just sent you a pm asking questions that will probably be answered in that link. 

Yeah, in the Drop Bags - Runner Instructions is a pretty good listing of stuff. But, it's really anything you think you might need/want along the way. You may not be able to decide completely until you see the weather forecast for the race as far as clothing goes. But any particular snacks/food/drink/medical items you might need, especially in the latter parts of the event is what you should be thinking about.
2010-11-03 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Drop bags is a big question that I have been wondering about for several months.  The information document on the JFK website just says it will transport your bad from the start to the finish.  There is absolutely no mention of drop bags.
The link that you posted is from the Reston Runners website and sounds to me like they have some members of their group that are providing the service for their members only.  It says in bold letters RUNNERS MUST WEAR THEIR TEAM SHIRT to take advantage of the service.

If that is the case and the JFK organization doesn't provide for drop bags then my two biggest dilemnas will be 1. I'd like to wear my trail shoes until I get to the canal and then change into road shoes, and 2. I will need me headlamp for the later miles, will I need to carry the darn thing for 50 miles?
2010-11-03 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3193949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
jkholden - 2010-11-03 7:38 PM

Drop bags is a big question that I have been wondering about for several months.  The information document on the JFK website just says it will transport your bad from the start to the finish.  There is absolutely no mention of drop bags.
The link that you posted is from the Reston Runners website and sounds to me like they have some members of their group that are providing the service for their members only.  It says in bold letters RUNNERS MUST WEAR THEIR TEAM SHIRT to take advantage of the service.

If that is the case and the JFK organization doesn't provide for drop bags then my two biggest dilemnas will be 1. I'd like to wear my trail shoes until I get to the canal and then change into road shoes, and 2. I will need me headlamp for the later miles, will I need to carry the darn thing for 50 miles?

Yeah, I realize that was for Reston Runners. I actually have someone providing support crew for me who has done this for several years now. He will be supporting several folks this day. But, since Carrie asked about what to put in drop bags for her sister, I pointed her to that link. You're right, there won't be any other type of support. You may be able to see if someone at the Frederick Steeple Chasers who will probably be supporting the race as well as runners from their club, might be able to assist at least to get you a change of shoes. Otherwise, yeah, you'll be doing the same shoes. Now I've read from race reports that they give you a light if you don't have one for the last few miles for safety reasons. Me, I'll have a lightweight headlamp for this purpose. It fits pretty nice in a small pack where I carry water, but I'll probably give this to my support crew as well. You may want to consider a very small pack to run with for essential supplies. The biggest reason I asked the guy to crew was so I could change shoes after the AT.
2010-11-03 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3194001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
sbrdave - 2010-11-03 8:27 PM

jkholden - 2010-11-03 7:38 PM

Yeah, I realize that was for Reston Runners. I actually have someone providing support crew for me who has done this for several years now. He will be supporting several folks this day. But, since Carrie asked about what to put in drop bags for her sister, I pointed her to that link. You're right, there won't be any other type of support. You may be able to see if someone at the Frederick Steeple Chasers who will probably be supporting the race as well as runners from their club, might be able to assist at least to get you a change of shoes. Otherwise, yeah, you'll be doing the same shoes. Now I've read from race reports that they give you a light if you don't have one for the last few miles for safety reasons. Me, I'll have a lightweight headlamp for this purpose. It fits pretty nice in a small pack where I carry water, but I'll probably give this to my support crew as well. You may want to consider a very small pack to run with for essential supplies. The biggest reason I asked the guy to crew was so I could change shoes after the AT.

Oh, I should've said no other support except for the aid stations, which looks like there'll be plenty. But, an unsaid rule around ultra folks that I learned after talking to a few is that you should anticipate carrying your necessary supplies. You still want to be light but the aid stations may not have what you need and you may be between aid stations when you need it. Saw many people on FOTM 50K who obviously have done these with light packs. One person had these interesting gloves that wrap around small water bottles, like the ones in the belts. Another person had half a sandwich in the front webbing of the pack. So, something you may need to consider. Again, I'd contact the Frederick Steeple Chasers and see if they can assist with your change of shoes They're pretty easy to find online. Mark Lawrence is the president of the club.

2010-11-04 6:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
BTW, if you already haven't considered these, you might want to invest in a pair of trail running gaiters. I picked up a pair of Inov-8 Debris Gaiter 32 for like $17. These will help keep debris out on the AT as well as the C&O if you're switching shoes. Here's the Inov-8 product display site:

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG7&L=26&P=5050973025

I saw many folks who had these on the FOTM 50K. Course that was pure trail running but I have noticed with the leaves and such on the C&O that debris/stuff gets in my running shoes.
2010-11-04 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
This race seems pretty awesome. maybe next year Ill give it a shot. Doing the 50K HAT in March and that will be my first Ultra. We'll see how that goes.

Good luck everyone running
2010-11-04 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3196080

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Grnfsh - 2010-11-04 9:38 PM

This race seems pretty awesome. maybe next year Ill give it a shot. Doing the 50K HAT in March and that will be my first Ultra. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks! The 50K HAT looked pretty good too, but I saw it sold out pretty quick. For the JFK, they do give preference to military and prior, 10 time runners of the JFK, and folks that have fast times for marathon and above races. After that, it's by lottery. So good luck! We're hoping for an awesome time!
2010-11-05 3:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA

So from last year, I didn't see any drop bags, and really didn't notice anybody getting support either, but that was probably because it was all I could do to keep putting one foot in front of the other. The aid stations are plenty well stocked, and I would recommend leaning on the light side of carried items, unless you have very specific nutritional requirements, it is way too easy to live of the course.  (The Reston Runners had an awesome aid station, too).

I carried my headlamp the whole distance, I don't think they were handing out lights, but they did hand out reflective vests if you went through the final checkpoint after a certain time. The last checkpoint is when you turn of the C&O, so it's all road running from there.

I started the run with 40 oz. of amphipod bottles which I refilled at each aid station, and a few gu. Other than that, I took everything from the aid stations.

The change of shoes is an interesting challenge, but it was my experience that trail shoes were not really needed on the AT section, as there really wasn't much running to be done. Honestly, most of the first 2 hours, to my recollection was just following in a steady stream of people. It really didn't thin out enough to run until we hit the C&O.  Plus the AT is rocky, so most people are not going to be interested in trying to running on it.  If you want your trail shoes on the AT, they probably won't hurt you much on the C&O.

One final tip, if you have a hotel room for the night before, I would recommend keeping it for the night after, especially if you are going to be driving yourself home. I only had an hour drive home, and it was longest hour I've every spent behind the wheel. I wanted to go sleep so bad. My time was 11:30ish, so your milage may vary.

Good luck, and have fun.

2010-11-05 3:46 AM
in reply to: #3196300

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Thanks for all the info, strates!! You have 3 newbies here who could use all the help they can get. Flashlight - yeah, not sure if I read that correctly or not from a report but I do remember the reflective vest. I think someone just shoved a flashlight in the guys hand. But, I'll have my little headlamp or else my support crew will. BTW, I'm fortunate that the start of the course is like 10 miles from my house. So, hopefully, I can drive myself home for that short distance. Hmmm, I already feel a yawn coming on ;-)

"...but it was my experience that trail shoes were not really needed on the AT section, as there really wasn't much running to be done. Honestly, most of the first 2 hours, to my recollection was just following in a steady stream of people. It really didn't thin out enough to run until we hit the C&O. Plus the AT is rocky, so most people are not going to be interested in trying to running on it. If you want your trail shoes on the AT, they probably won't hurt you much on the C&O. "

As I've trained on the AT quite a bit since I'm close, trail shoes there are not really for running as much as protection. I bang my toes on the rocks here and there and know that regular running shoes aren't going to cut it for me. Last thing I need is to have a bruised toe(s) or worse. My trail shoes also handle the rocks and varying terrain much better. If I hadn't arranged for crew support, I would run in my trail shoes the rest of the way as they're okay on the C&O. But, it would be nice to change into regular running shoes if one can once we reach the C&O as they're lighter.

If nothing else, one piece of advice I heard from an experienced JFKer was to change your insoles after the AT.

Jane - that's something to keep in mind as extra insoles are relatively light.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, strates!

Edited by sbrdave 2010-11-05 3:55 AM

2010-11-05 6:02 AM
in reply to: #3196080

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Grnfsh - 2010-11-04 9:38 PM This race seems pretty awesome. maybe next year Ill give it a shot. Doing the 50K HAT in March and that will be my first Ultra. We'll see how that goes.

I'm doing the HAT50K as well.  It did fill up quick. 
2010-11-07 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
I do a lot of trail running up here on some pretty rocky trails with road shoes.  Never did 14 miles on trails followed by a gazzillion miles after, though.  It will all be game-time decision.  I will fortunately have my sister who will be seeing me at all allowed checkpoints so I will use her to mule my shoes for me if necessary.

Honestly, I can't believe this event is 2 weeks away.  I am REALLY nervous. UGH  I know it will be fun and I'll love every second of it when it's all done; I'm still nervous!!!
2010-11-07 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3199258

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
carrie1 - 2010-11-07 10:55 AM

I do a lot of trail running up here on some pretty rocky trails with road shoes.  Never did 14 miles on trails followed by a gazzillion miles after, though.  It will all be game-time decision.  I will fortunately have my sister who will be seeing me at all allowed checkpoints so I will use her to mule my shoes for me if necessary.

Honestly, I can't believe this event is 2 weeks away.  I am REALLY nervous. UGH  I know it will be fun and I'll love every second of it when it's all done; I'm still nervous!!!

Whatever works. I just know after doing some of the AT and some trails in road shoes, I've banged my toes on too many things. Just don't need that irriation for the next 35 miles. Plus my trail shoes are more stable on a real trail and the AT. I move around too much in my road shoes. I've also tested my trail shoes on several training runs and they work real well on the AT. They would work okay on the C&O but are really unnecessary for that surface. Hence why the shoe exchange with my support crew.

Nervous.. yeah, that makes two (and maybe three) of us. It's getting serious now, huh? 1 week, 6 days. Run today went very well BTW. Check out my log.

Edited by sbrdave 2010-11-07 4:15 PM
2010-11-07 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3199568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: Personal food item
Say, something I might pack for later in the run to keep me going are chocolate covered espresso beans. Wouldn't be too many but I could see at mile 27 and later that something with caffiene would sure be nice to help keep me going. I was just thinking on today's run what to pack to keep me basically awake. I remember eating a few of these and the buzz was pretty good. Just have to make sure I don't eat too many or else probably suffer intenstinal problems. Anyway, some "food" for thought.
2010-11-07 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
I'm glad your run went well, Dave.  I hope you feel good tomorrow as well (day after type of stuff).  The chocolate covered espresso beans are a good idea.  I love them.  I can't eat too much of them on a regular basis so I wouldn't have to worry about that :-)  I'm going to pick some up -  fantastic idea. 

So you're nervous, too?  I hate when I don't feel 'ready' like I could have done more.  I'm trying to just remind myself to have a good day and focus on nutrition that day.  Nutrition is what kills me in any long distance event.  I'm going to try and break the cycle :-) ha ha ha

2010-11-07 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3199599

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
carrie1 - 2010-11-07 5:42 PM

I'm glad your run went well, Dave.  I hope you feel good tomorrow as well (day after type of stuff).  The chocolate covered espresso beans are a good idea.  I love them.  I can't eat too much of them on a regular basis so I wouldn't have to worry about that :-)  I'm going to pick some up -  fantastic idea. 

So you're nervous, too?  I hate when I don't feel 'ready' like I could have done more.  I'm trying to just remind myself to have a good day and focus on nutrition that day.  Nutrition is what kills me in any long distance event.  I'm going to try and break the cycle :-) ha ha ha

I don't normally have a problem with food/nutrition. What gets me more is my hydration and electrolytes, i.e. cramping sometimes. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don't. In the run training, I have been taking electrolyte pills about every half hour and that does seem to work. I just don't know about this distance. Something else I experimented with was some chicken buillion dissolved in a water bottle. Seemed to do okay with that and it has a good amount of sodium in it. May give that to my support crew to give me later if there's nothing similar at the aid stations.
2010-11-08 1:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
I'm sure they will have chicken broth or something there.  Perhaps in the later stages of the run.  Probably a good idea to have your friend have it with him just in case.

I've been taking the enduralytes as well.  I was more diligent about it when it was warmer outside.  I was more like 2/hour - seemed to work as I didn't cramp or anything. 

2010-11-08 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3199579

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: RE: Personal food item
sbrdave - 2010-11-07 5:20 PM Say, something I might pack for later in the run to keep me going are chocolate covered espresso beans. Wouldn't be too many but I could see at mile 27 and later that something with caffiene would sure be nice to help keep me going. I was just thinking on today's run what to pack to keep me basically awake. I remember eating a few of these and the buzz was pretty good. Just have to make sure I don't eat too many or else probably suffer intenstinal problems. Anyway, some "food" for thought.

I love the choc expresso beans. I've used them many times on long runs and bike rides. I have found that the defizzed coke does basically the same thing.  When your in that state of depletion after going for several hours the combination of the sugar and caffeine goes straight into the veins.

Nervous...   Yeah I'm definately there with you guys on that one!!!
2010-11-12 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: 5 and 7 AM race instructions posted
Hey guys,

I was just checking the race web site and starter instructions have been posted for the 5 and 7 AM groups.

Look for my first event weather forecast later today.
2010-11-12 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: First look - JFK weather forecast
This is my first look at the weather for the JFK. The one model I've been watching has been zeroing in on this solution finally. However, with 7+ days still until the event, this is still highly subject to change.

At present, precipitation is not forecasted during the day and looks to be a mostly sunny day in store.

Temperatures: Start - near 30. Midday - mid 40s. Dropping below 40 after sunset.

Winds: calm in the morning, will start coming out of the south at 5-10 mph later in the morning and into most of the day, dropping after sunset. So the wind will be adding a bit of a chill but not overly so.

So, not too bad at the moment, though a little colder than I'd like. I'll take that over precip any day, though. And the temp forecast may get better as this model has a cold bias the farther out the forecast is. So, hopefully, temps will warm up a bit more in the model as we get closer.

This long range model changes to better resolution 6.5 days out and that's tomorrow. So, hopefully, not much changes when resolution gets better.

I'll be looking at another model as well about 3.5 days out to compare against. Plus a few other weather tools also.

Will update tomorrow.

Edited by sbrdave 2010-11-12 11:22 AM

2010-11-13 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3208224

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: JFK weather forecast update
Not much has changed since yesterday. The forecast model continues to show High pressure dominates the weather for Nov 20. Expect a chilly start with temps in the 30s. The only thing that's changed a bit is the afternoon temperature may be in the 50s instead of the 40s. So, a bit warmer. Hopefully that will allow us to shed a top layer or perhaps running tights and stay in shorts instead.

I'll update this tomorrow if anything significant changes. But, I'll definitely update the temperture forecast on Monday when I have access to the actual temperature forecast values.
2010-11-14 3:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
I did really want to run in shorts.  30 degrees is a teensy bit below my shorts temp.

50 sounds good in the afternoon :-)
2010-11-15 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3209936

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
carrie1 - 2010-11-14 4:16 AM I did really want to run in shorts.  30 degrees is a teensy bit below my shorts temp.

50 sounds good in the afternoon :-)

That's a tough call. I'm always in shorts unless there is a wind. Then I turn into a big wimp.
2010-11-15 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: Race weather update
Here's the latest forecast for Saturday's JFK run:

No rain/precip is forecast

7 AM start will be in the low-mid 30s, so dress appropriately for this part, but be prepared to be able to shed layers or items as you need to.

By 10 AM, temps will be in the mid to upper 40s

By noon and until 5 pm, temps will be in the low 50s. After that, temps drop back down into the 40s and get down possibly in the low 40s.

Winds will be light out of the south 5-10 mph

Sunny skies, though some clouds late in the day as it looked like a weak and dry cold front enters the area later in the day. Still, this means possibly shorts, no gloves, possibly just a long sleeve T near noon and beyond. Otherwise, you may be overdressed, overheat, and have hydration problems.

If you go beyond 5 PM, be prepared to redon some of the clothes you may have shed earlier as you don't want to get chilled in during the last couple of hours if you're still on the course.

I'll update again in anything significant changes and one more time on Friday.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » JFK 50 Mile : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2