General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Q - to swim or not to swim. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-01 9:48 AM

Boston
Subject: Training Q - to swim or not to swim.
Quick question about training: I am doing my first race (sprint) in September. I SUCK at running (45 mins is like death); have ZERO biking skills, but can muddle through; and can swim 2 miles without breaking a "sweat." I am on a pretty strict training plan that incorporates all 3 disciplines, but I am not sure that spending an hour in the pool 2-3 days a week is time well spent. Should I be focusing more on bike time or run time? That is to say where will I make the biggest gains by logging more hours training?

2005-08-01 9:54 AM
in reply to: #212517

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Training Q - to swim or not to swim.
You and i are in pretty much the same boat.

My swim times are far and away better than my bike or run.

You will make up more time by making your bike let faster because you spend more than 50% of your time on the bike leg.

I try and swim at least once a week because I know I can get faster but I certainly have WAAY more room for improvment in the bike and the run.

If I were you (and I kinda am) I'd swim once a week and bike and run 3 times a week.

just my thought.. I ain't no coach..

ws
2005-08-01 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
You need more cowbell! Sorry, waskelton's image cracks me up.

I find it difficult myself to get better at one discipline without losing ground in other....I am kind of curious as to what others have to say about this as well.....

Edited by jwbrandon 2005-08-01 10:13 AM
2005-08-01 10:11 AM
in reply to: #212529

Boston
jwbrandon - 2005-08-01 11:09 AM

You need more cowbell!

I'm OK with losing ground in the swim b/c I know it won't cause me to DNF; however, too much energy expended on the bike, or not enough time logged running might = DNF.

(I LOVE the image too)

Edited by monterey411 2005-08-01 10:17 AM
2005-08-01 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Definitely spend more time in your weakest areas. Most time in a triathlon is spent on the bike. That's where you can make up time on slower swimmers than you,  or try to get out ahead of someone who is a better runner. It takes miles and miles and miles of biking to get better, so plan to focus there first, the run second and the swim last. Only you know what kind  of schedule you can keep, but I'd say ou should be biking and running at least 3x a week, swimming 2x a week. Don't kill yourself though. If you're not ready for a big load before your Sept. race, plan to make next year your banner year. Good luck!! 
2005-08-01 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
You can't go wrong with the advice to concentrate on your weakest areas. If it was me, I'd cut back on the swimming and add more onto the run/bike. Finding the right balance is the key, and you may have to do a race or two to really hone in on what's right.

2005-08-01 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Woodridge, IL (Chicago)
You can already swim. Thats established. And since this is a Sprint race, my suggestion would be to swim twice a week. Make one work out a distance workout and the other combine into a brick workout. Do some Sprint Swims and get on the bike. (If you can). I can't run worth a lick but am pretty decent on the bike and I'm going to smoke the swim. I've been concentrating on the run and bike for the last month and getting in the water about 2 times a week. Of course I've only competed in one tri so far and it was a smaller tri at that. As the previous poster mentioned. Next year we will start to get serious about this training and triathlons.
2005-08-01 10:35 AM
in reply to: #212540

Boston
Thanks - general concensus seems to be to spend more time on the bike. I guess that means I need to get over my fears of riding in Boston! I think I am resigned to just being a poor runner. I've been dedicated to training for about 6 weeks now and I am logging about 9 hours a week - and I am freakin' exhausted by the end of the week. For my Sept. race, I just want to finish. I keep in mind that I am building my base so I can come out strong next season.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Q - to swim or not to swim. Rss Feed