General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what socks do you wear during winter running(Canadian winter) :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: jmk-brooklyn, Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 2

2014-02-07 2:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: what socks do you wear during winter running(Canadian winter) :)
DP

Edited by mmrocker13 2014-02-07 2:15 PM

2014-02-07 2:15 PM
in reply to: jamiemutton1

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Smartwool ultralights. On rare occasion, I double them up (when it was -25/ windchill of -45 I did). Otherwise, just the single layer, lightweight socks. I HATE fat socks. I also hate cotton socks or poly or anything else (DeFeet, Sock Guy, any other performance sock included). Has to be Smart Wool ultralight...micro (so shoe height) down to 20 degrees; mini (short) after.

2014-02-07 2:29 PM
in reply to: moosh009

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by moosh009

I use regular athletic socks.  They're fine for -10 to -15C.

My cold runs this year have been in -8 to -10 with some wind chill on top of that. I just use my regular Saucony socks.

Once or twice my toes have gone a bit numb. But I think that is getting used to new shoes.

Cold bum is a different story. Sometimes a hot shower really stings as 'things' warm up.
My Race Log
2014-02-08 9:34 AM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

And another vote for Smartwool.  We have had a few stretches of very cold weather and these have been great.

My Training LogMy Race Log
2014-02-08 7:24 PM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

So far this winter I've run down to about 0 Fahrenheit, and I've been happy with my Mizuno Breath Thermo socks.  They are surprisingly thin.  By about the end of the first mile, my feet typically feel comfortably warm.

My Race Log
2014-02-09 12:20 PM
in reply to: jamiemutton1

User image

For winter running I picked up a pair of Newton Boca AT running shoes. They've been great, even down to single digit temperatures.
I also did lot's of research looking for winter running socks. You all might laugh at me, but I noticed that my thin men's dress socks were a 60/40 blend of wool and synthetic. So I go formal when running! Black mens dress socks!!! They work great and are already in my dresser!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what socks do you wear during winter running(Canadian winter) :) Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 2