EnviroSports
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 22s
Overall Rank = 22/491
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/47
Pre-race routine:

stayerd at tim's. much nicer than a hotel and had some toast w/pb and a luna bar. drank lots of water and headed over to the race nice and early.
Event warmup:

didn't warm up at all except for some stretching. i used to go for a jog, but the swim is a good enough warm-up (espescially if it's a wade start and i have to tread water for 3 minutes).
Swim
  • 15m 25s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

the waves were self selecting. they called wave 1 and if you felt like going you went over the mat and got in. we went for the second wave hoping to find a sweet spot of organized swimming, but not so fast that we couldn't keep up. i thought it was silly at first, but it worked great. it was cool to have everyone we knew in the same wave so you could tell how the race was going and when to expect to see other people.
i wore a wetsuit even though it was really warm. i am a little weary of open water and wearing a wetsuit makes me feel like a super hero and immune to anything in the water. i also sink like a stone and the wetsuit makes me swim ~:20 per 100 faster.
water was supposedly "green" and ok for swimming, but it was the worst water i have swam in yet (other than spots on eagleman near boats that were pure gasoline). it tasted gross, but in the end was pretty clear and seemed fine.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

i pin my number to my bike jersey and put it on in t1. it is always a pain and costs me some time. i may need to re-think my strategy. other than that, no issues.
Bike
  • 46m 44s
  • 17 miles
  • 21.82 mile/hr
Comments:

i went pretty hard on the bike. knowing timmy is out there somewhere ahead of me is always good motivation. i never did catch him ont he bike, but i had a better average than i expected. for the first few miles i couldn't believe how fast i was going (25+) unitl i realized the computer was on max speed and not average speed. i had a gu a few miles in and another with a few miles to go to prepare for the run. i only took 1 water bottle since it was a short distance and i could have drank 2.
What would you do differently?:

have another water bottle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

much better than t1. racked the bike and started chasing tim.

i have stopped taking my shoes off on the bike. i can do it pretty well, but it doesn't save me a whole lot of time and i don't want to star the run with a pebble stuck to my sock.
Run
  • 25m 31s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

had another good run. i caught tim at mile 1 and kept up a fast pace. i couldn't have gone any faster and couldn't have held it for much longer, but i made it.
the finish was kind of blind and as i approached i was ~10 yards behind the guy in front. i picked up the pace and a spectator started yelling "you can get him, i believe in you!" when i pulled even he broke into a sprint and came in at full speed shoulder to shoulder with everyone cheering. it was really cool and so close i wish i had a photo at the line to know who won. we shook hands as we panted in the finish chute.
i usually one of the few who sprint out the finish, but this race was different. i don't know if it something about philly or what, but there were tons of people sprinting to the line and many racing neck and neck like i did. lots of fun to watch.

nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

talked to my sister and nephew (it was so cool to have them there) and cheered others at the finish. drank some water and finally ate some trail mix and pretzels. i should have stretched more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing really. that's as good as i'll get without dedicated swim coaching or plenty more training.

Event comments:

tough to rate this race. there was nothing flashy about it and they did things very differently than others, but in the end they did all the important things right.
there were no real sponsors, so the goodie bag was a paper sack with no samples or flyers or anything. there was no body marking and they wrote your number on the back of both hands at packet-pickup (i thought i was on candid camera when they started doing it). there were no real perks for how expensive the race was.
on the other hand, all the important things were taken care of. it went off on time, the course was excellent, clearly marked, and scenic. shortest bathroom lines i've seen at any race. transition area was clean and set up perfectly (as easy as this seems, i'm amazed that a lot of races screw this up). there were water stations every mile on the run and the results were posted immediately after the event.
bottom line, if you are in the area or have a few extra bucks and don't need a bunch of free crap, it's a good race. if you are racing on a budget, really sensitive to crap water and want a lot of perks, pick something else.

Last updated: 2005-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:25 | 880 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 83/491
Performance: Good
Suit: farmer john
Course: triangle in the susquehanna
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:44 | 17 miles | 21.82 mile/hr
Overall: 58/491
Wind: Little
Course: very flat 2 loops along the river.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:31 | 04 miles | 06m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 13/491
Course: flat out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Give it the Ol' Philly Tri

2005-08-01 11:07 AM
in reply to: #212536

User image

Subject: RE: Give it the Ol' Philly Tri
Hey Great job and awesome times! I did the Philly tri in Fairmount Park in June and also found it to be incredibly well organized. Excellent race, congratulations!!
2005-08-01 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Awesome race! Maybe Craig needs to start a swim coaching class. Did you get a cool prize for 3rd in AG?
2005-08-01 2:45 PM
in reply to: #212599

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
thanks. i heard that was a good race, but had a conflict that day. i think that race had a different bike course with hills too.
2005-08-01 2:53 PM
in reply to: #212610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
thanks. no, i didn't get anything. as i wrote in the report, there were no perks to the race. i do get a medal that is engraved with my place and name mailed to me later so that is kind of cool.
i don't expect to be competing at this level forever so i'm not going to work any harder on my swimming. if i do, i'll have to get some sort of coaching though. i should have craig and k critique my swimming with a wetsuit on since i am useless without one.
2005-08-02 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Schuylkill not Susquehanna in your swimming course description.

2005-08-02 10:38 AM

User image

Regular
West Hartford
How about a race # belt. It's a simple clip, and you can do it bike or run transition..... just a thought to your one issue.

When do you and Hunter Kemper go head to head... it's time to get you on the pro circuit!
2005-08-02 12:33 PM
in reply to: #213834

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
kristin got me one and gives me a hard time that i don't use it. i like the race belt, but i prefer the number on my chest rather than around my waste. i'll work on it.
i'm certainly not ready for the pro circuit! i'm just waiting for dave to call me for a timex slot. hehe.
2005-08-02 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
When I win the lottery I am going to pay you guys to take a sabbatical and then we can see if we can you get weds into pro-shape....hopefully I'll win before your 40th bday.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Give it the Ol' Philly Tri Rss Feed